Antarctic base gets condom haul before winter

:mad:I can’t believe this!!! They are just promoting promiscuity among the residents it sounds like. :banghead:

msnbc.msn.com/id/25054286/

16,500 prophylactics arrive for 125 scientists, staff before darkness sets in

Hmmm… that’s about… um… 128 per scientist for six months. I thought we were supposed to be socially inept.

The first sunrise will occur on Aug. 20 and McMurdo’s population will start to increase …

Apparently not. :blush:

Perhaps they need them for something non sex related…

Maybe… um… right? :wink:

People are going to make their own decision about having sexual intercourse before marriage whether you like it or not.

People have always done this, people will always do this, people do this.

The condoms can prevent the transmission of STD’s and is a means of artificial birth control.

Condoms don’t promote promiscuity, people are promiscuous whether a condom is available or isn’t.

Your not talking about a bunch of teenagers, these are well educated adults who are making their own decisions regarding sexual relations.

Are the condoms penquin sized?

I hear they are really good insulators, conserving heat on those exposed extremities.:smiley:

I realize people will make their own descisions about that. I don’t live in a closet. But I also realize that as a society, this world is going somewhere in a handbasket really fast. Personally, I think that we as Christians should not be so quiet about such things because. No, condoms themselves don’t promote promiscuity but the fact that these condoms are being given out so that the people there don’t have to be embarrassed as to who is having sex with who sends a bad message to everyone. To me, it says , its ok to have sex with whoever and its ok to have pre-marital sex. And whether you like it or not, this is morally wrong acording to the Church.

Also, you realize that most of us here on CAF are Catholic and do not believe in using condoms for any reason because this is what the Church teaches. I see that you too are a Catholic and should know this as well.

Abstinence should be what is promoted whether it is for teenagers or adults who aren’t married and we Christians should not just be ok with people promoting pre-marital sex.

Yes, and I am also aware that most of the people around here are aware that people have been having pre-marital sex since before Christ came and people will continue to have pre-marital sex, no matter how much you tell them not to!

So, lets give em’ the facts, ( not just the facts that we like) that way they can make an informed decision. :thumbsup:
The United States of America has double the adolescent pregnancy and birth rates of any other industrialized country.*

*The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the western world, despite the fact that our teens are not more sexually active than Swedish teens, or Canadian teens, or British teens.

Why? Because we don’t educate about birth control in sex education classes, we don’t discuss it at home, we don’t give teens good access to it, and we don’t advertise it in our media.*

Abstinence only education is not working…as Dr Phil says , ’ How’s that workin’ out for ya’…( not very well I see)

People will have pre-martial sex and that is that.

So apparantely you think that ABC is ok, then? I think the reason the Abstinence only education is not working is because it isn’t stressed like ABC is. Maybe if it was then it would work. IMHO, I think that promoting and giving out ABC to teenagers encourages them to have sex. I’m not just guessing but I’m speaking from what my friends did in high school and college and i’m sorry to say what I did too. When we realized that you could go get birth control pills from the health dept for free or for not a lot of money and that no one would look at you funny if you bought condoms, that was our ticket to have premarital sex. Looking back on that I am NOT proud of doing that and I believe that the access to ABC that I realized was available was part of my deciding to have sex before I was married as well as part of my friends’ descisions to do the same.

I still regret having sex then, before I was married, (eventhough my first and only pre-marital sex partner is my DH) and all my friends that I have talked to regret it as well.

We Christians should not just conform to what society says is ok just because we don’t think we can change it.

It says you are located in Canada. Have you ever lived in the US or went to school in a public school in the US? The fact is there may be SOME schools in the US preaching abstinence but there are far more schools that are NOT preaching abstinence and ARE pro-contraceptive. When I was in school, 1993, the basic message was we don’t want you to have sex but since we know you are going to here are your choice of contraceptives and here is how they work. Even today many schools have not changed this stance. You can not fault the US for NOT preaching contraceptive use because I can tell you the schools have most certainly been doing that. The question of course is why is this pro-contraceptive message not working? :hmmm: :whistle:

This has been my experience as well. :frowning: On top of that just because someone has easy access to and has an understanding of contraceptives does not mean that they will use them.

There is no way access to ABC will increase a teens desire to have sex.

Once a teenager is given all of the facts…either they will choose to have sex or they will choose to abstain.

The availability of ABC will only result in a lower rate of teen pregnancy and lower rate of STD’s.

Forty per cent of American women will become pregnant before the age of twenty.

The reason for this problem is that in the United States, the curriculum teaches an abstinence-only approach to sexual health, with no emphasis on birth control or sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevention.

The real life statistics do not support your claim.

“*Fifty million dollars have gone into abstinence-only education [in the U.S.],” Hunt says.

In Australia the teenage pregnancy rate is three times lower than that of the United States. Australian teachers make sure that their students know about contraception and STI protection, as well as how these options relate to their own personal values. *

**“Fifty million dollars have gone into abstinence-only education [in the U.S.],” Hunt says…“The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world,”

In Australia the teenage pregnancy rate is three times lower than that of the United States. Australian teachers make sure that their students know about contraception and STI protection, as well as how these options relate to their own personal values.**

Your personal feelings run contrary to the actual real world facts.

I’m not speaking of personal feelings I don’t get the feeling that AngelRose is either. We are speaking about our own personal experiences in the system. The system, as a whole, supports contraceptive use and is failing. A student in the US can get contraceptives just as easily as they can candy and what’s more parents hands are tied! If the student does not want their parents to know that they are using contraceptives than their privacy is protected by law. Students in the US have very easy access to contraceptive knowledge.

BTW,
It’s my understanding that in the news forum if your going to quote something you need to provide a source for that quote.

Actually, Australia’s teen pregnancy rates are about 39% of that of the US. Not “three times less”, but significantly better than ours. Actually, that was in 2004, before “abstinence only” had time to take effect.

So it’s a bit worse now, but I doubt if it’s gone to three times that of Australia.

There is no way access to ABC will decrease a teen’s desire to have sex.

Once a teenager is given all of the facts…either they will choose to have sex or they will choose to abstain.

Perhaps you don’t realize this… They’re teenagers. They make really stupid decisions, whether or not they know all the facts.

The availability of ABC will only result in a lower rate of teen pregnancy and lower rate of STD’s.

Uhm… I think (more ABC = more sex) + teenagers + heat of the moment = greater rates of teen pregnancy + higher rates of STD’s

The reason for this problem is that in the United States, the curriculum teaches an abstinence-only approach to sexual health, with no emphasis on birth control or sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevention.

As a student, I can tell you there is more emphasis on being ‘safe’ than staying safe.

It was mentioned once that the only 100% guaranteed way to not get pregnant or get STD’s is to stay abstinent until marriage. The other three weeks were spent figuring out how to use a condom.

Common Sense and Relativism is diametrically opposed :mad:

Common sense and many posters here are diametrically opposed. :rolleyes: So the scientists have condoms; so what? Why is it that some Catholics seem to feel a personal calling to be the bedroom police? It is none of anyone’s business what goes on in other people’s beds as long as it is between two consenting adults. Honestly, with all the problems in the world today, it amazes me the things people choose to worry about. I mean, forget world hunger or environmental pollution; there are scientists having sex in Antartica!!! :hmmm: :banghead:

Bill Henriksen, the manager of the McMurdo base station, said nearly 16,500 condoms were delivered last month and would be made available, free of charge, to staff throughout the year to avoid the potential embarrassment of having to buy them.

Aren’t they now embarrassed before the whole world? :smiley:

Is this an either/or situation? I’m sure we can have opinions on condoms being sent to Antarctica while simultaneously remembering world hunger and environmental pollution. Believe it or not, some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time, too! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.