Anthropomorphisms of God

I need help; well, you already knew that.

I would love to have from the CCC the text for this.

I do not have time, THANKS!

I did a search and could not find anything from the CCC (perhaps given more time, I could find something; I myself have little time). This is also reliable:
newadvent.org/cathen/06612a.htm

I know the Bible often attributes God with anthropomorphisms, and I think to some extent this can become problematic for us. We tend to project our own emotions onto God, so if we are outraged over something we assume He must be as well. Anthropomorphisms can help us to initially understand God, but a time must come when we also understand that God is not limited as we are. He transcends all things in ways we cannot imagine, and constantly linking Him with own imperfect human motives and attributes becomes a stumbling block.

I would not take the anthropomorphisms of God all that seriously. There are verses that speak of God’s gathering us under his wings. This does not mean that He is a chicken; it’s just a figure of speech.

Dear All: THANKS.

The article is really great!

The anthropomorphisms of God in Holy Scripture are in general metaphors used to decribe something about God or his action. For example, the anger of God is generally used to refer to God’s punishment for wrongdoing and sin. The eyes of God that see all refer to his intellect that knows and sees all. God does not have a body or corporeal eyes.

I think most of us take this for granted now, I know I do. Picturing God as an old man with a long white beard can maybe help children begin to understand God, but at some point we need to let go of that image. What seems to be more difficult to let go of is the image of a god filled with rage, or a jealous god, the way we think of envy.

Anyway, this was a topic of hot debate back in 4th and 5th century:

newadvent.org/cathen/01558c.htm

We don’t hear much about the Anthromorphites any more.

christofirst:

THANKS!!!

Any more help?

Please forgive my lack of time and talent.

Are there doctrinal statements concerning anthropomorphism?

THANKS!

Anthropomorphism; man-form, the tendency of man to consider external things as if they were imitations of himself. In philosophy it leads to extravagant conceptions like panpsychism (all matter has some form of consciousness, all happenings participate in the mental) Or cosmic sensism (that sense perception furnishes the sole data for knowledge, grandiose sensationalism) In religion we find anthropomorphistic expression in animism (all life is produced by a spiritual force separate from matter.), kindred to these philosophical aberrations, and which is held by some authors as the origin of religion. Anthropomorphism is even more manifest in the concept of divinity, formed to man’s likeness with his vices and virtues. Religious mythologies are generally anthropomorphic, in Greco-Roman mythology. In Christian revelation it is found in the language and in certain episodes of the Old testament which attributes to God human members and at times human ways of acting (as when it speaks of God repenting, suffering etc.) Evidentally here it is a matter of metaphorical speech and style, as is proved from the context of the holy books and tthe sublime concepts they suggest about the nature of God. In the history of Christian thought there is mentioned of the gross error of the so-called anthromorphites who following in the footsteps of a certain Audius, in the fourth century, spread the opinion in Syria and Egypt that the biblical metaphors about God are to be understood in the literal and p roper sense. St.Augustine and other Fathers speak of this error as childish and unworthy of refutation. (taken from the Dictionary of Dogmatic Theology)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.