Anti-abortion groups expect quick action from Trump

Anti-abortion groups are hoping President-elect Donald Trump will start changing federal abortion policy on his first day in office.

While there are big-ticket items on their wish list like filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court, there are also a range of abortion policy changes the Trump administration can make on its own.

Those actions include removing ObamaCare’s requirements for religious organizations to cover contraception in their insurance plans, easing the Obama administration rules that make it harder to cut funding from Planned Parenthood, and preventing foreign aid dollars from being used for abortions.

thehill.com/policy/healthcare/311579-anti-abortion-groups-expect-quick-action-from-trump

There is a part of me that hopes that Trump is as reckless with this as he is with his appointments and other decisions. Overturn what he can the day after the inauguration like Clinton did. Just do it and ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is inevitable. Make abortion a remote possibility. But he and many of his followers also seem to be against social services that would assist mothers with crisis pregnancies or parents who are poor with young children. I’ve seen accusations that conservatives/Republicans/pro-lifers only care about the baby before it is born and that is getting harder for me to argue against that.

I used to think that number was negligible, just like I thought racism was contained in small pockets of white supremacy groups and random people or communities that are insular. Trump is so winner-oriented his approach seems similar to a eugenics. Take away services that will help those in poverty, take away education, take away anything that would lift up the weak, the “losers” and eventually they will die out, literally and figuratively.

Completely agree with everything you said.

What a mean spirited and scurrilous post.:mad:

How so? Break it down for me. But of you read my post as angry or rant-y you will be wrong.

Best ignore the Trump apologists. They are trying to defend the indefensible, and no reasonable objection you have is going to make a dent.

Trump has said that he favors birth control without prescriptions already, so I’d like to see how this all plays out.

It’s a Trump thing? Got it. But I still don’t see how Trump ending abortion, even if it heavy-handed and will anger everyone who is pro-choice, is mean-spirited.

I am responding to scurrilous comments re an assumption of Trump’s actions,What is there to defend?:rolleyes:

Trust me, it’s a Trump thing.

Re read you own post.You went on about prolifer’s being racist,not caring about women n crisis pregnancies,eugenics,did I misunderstand something?:rolleyes:

Access to ABC is something that all on pro-choice side and many (most?) on the pro-choice side want. But I doubt Trump knows how dangerous contraceptive pills, including emergency contraception, are. I’m sure someone in his circle can advise him on that but he’s so all-or-nothing that it makes this a gamble.

Yes, you did. I said that I see that there are more of this type than I thought there were, that would ever be; I did not say say all or most were.

You start your post calling Trump reckless in his actions,you then go n from there expressing your concerns re prolifer’s indifference to women in crisis pregnancies,threw in a comment about racism and eugenics,what else was I to infer from those comments?

That the end of abortion could be in the hands of Trump and who he appoints to the Supreme Court which would be a good thing but I’m worried that these same people will cut funding to programs that would help those get up and out. Republicans tend to cut finding to human services, education and certain public safety programs. I’m also hearing people talking about not helping “freeloaders” but they mean everyone who uses food stamps, or a food shelf, or HUD or is on disability. I’m hearing it with my own two ears and I know that these people aren’t the only people who are thinking this way. And yes they are racist. I also don’t think that this combination is unique.

I do think Trump is reckless. He lies and contradicts himself. He also has called a former POW a loser for getting caught. He made fun of a journalist with a disability. He suggested that veterans with PTSD were weak. Yeah, I think he is reckless, unless it is self- serving. He is not going to make sure that women with crisis pregnancies have the support and resources they need.

Your political bias’ is showing no point in discussing this further.

I’m biased and you’re not? I’m acknowledging that a Trump administration might do something good toward ending abortion but I’m concerned for others who are vulnerable and marginalized including women and families with crisis pregnancies and those with young families.

I think that’s an unfair assessment of the motivations of many small government conservatives. I, personally, favor expanding social services towards young women with unplanned pregnancies (in Canada, where I live, other avenues for decreasing abortion are typically closed).

With that said, people advocating for smaller government don’t believe that decreasing government-run social services will leave unexpected mothers high-and-dry. I think that many individuals believe that the government does a poor job running social services and that private citizens can do a better, more effective job at dealing with these situations. This is, as I understand it, in line with the subsidiarity aspect of Catholic social teaching. These individuals don’t believe that cutting government run social services will further oppress the marginalized; rather, they believe that by getting the government out of the way, society is most free to address those in need (and that those in need will be incentivized to act in ways which leave them better financially).

Is this what actually happens? I don’t know. I expect that government run social services may be necessary to reach everyone in need, but I also don’t try to read bad motivations into those who disagree. I would submit that many of people who you have accused of being uncaring towards marginalized mothers may not possess those motivations at all.

Can you elucidate anything goes that contradicts my concerns?

What “social services” do you think “conservatives/Republicans/pro-lifers” are against? Isn’t it pro-lifers that have set up so many crisis pregnancy centres? Isn’t it pro-lifers who are literally paying women to keep their babies through paying for supplies etc. that they need and helping with housing and education etc. Isn’t it pro-lifers who are actually paying the salaries of abortion industry employees so they can support themselves when they leave the industry while they look for work, such as And Then They Were None, a ministry set up by a Abby Johnson, who was a former director of a Planned Parenthood in Texas (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abby_Johnson_(activist)#Anti-abortion_activism)??)

The sad irony is, that if abortion hadn’t killed so many Black people over the decades, Trump may well not be President-elect today. If the Democrats hadn’t supported such liberal abortion policies that killed off so many likely Democratic constituents, Hillary Clinton may be likely President-elect instead of Trump. Abortion has decimated the Black community, and obviously killing Whites, Hispanics and others too. It’s a good thing for Trump to do as much as he can to put the abortion horror to an end.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.