Anti-abortion protest signs - how far is too far?

Yesterday, some friends and I drove past a pro-life protest on Forbes Avenue by Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. Normally, I agree with such protests, but in this case, most of the protesters were holding huge (3 to 4 feet high) full-color photographs of aborted fetuses. While I can appreciate their motive of wanting to show the reality of abortion, I’m not sure whether this is really an appropriate way to do so. They weren’t even on the sidewalks outside the hospital (the building is actually on a side street), but right on one of the busiest roads in the city on a Sunday afternoon. My biggest reservation about this is that families with young children will also see these extremely graphic pictures. Overall, I’m not sure whether or not this is an appropriate means of protest. What does everybody else think?

As graphic as it is ,it is the truth:nope: The reason so many accept abortion is because the propaganda is lies,like it is a blob of tissue:mad: That is why the pro-aborts will not allow abortions to be shown on the MSM,notice everything else is.

Are people afraid to see what the truth is? They feel perfectly fine with seeing the sort of images in movies, yet they are unwilling to face the truth of abortion… My this is a sad paradox. I will add this to my prayers

Just a thought as long is the truth is suppressed the lie is the only thing being heard or in this case seen.Also if the secular get to your kids first they will be taught the pictures are merely propaganda.I have seen that tripe on planned parenthoods site:mad:

If it is at the clinic where they are being performed, I don’t have a big problem with it, because we know where the clinics are, and can avoid that area if we need to (like when my children were really young, I didn’t need to show them those images when they weren’t ready for it) But we’ve had them in our town at shopping mall parking lots and other places that you didn’t expect them to. And it caught me off guard. I am 100% pro life, and do think people should be realistic about the horrors of abortion, however when I am going to the shoe store to buy shoes for my children (they were young, like 2 and 5), I didn’t need to have to explain it to my 5 year old at that point. I think I should judge when my kids are ready for it. That’s my only argument against the really graphic stuff. You can turn off people who are on your side. Hey, maybe you should have one person a block away with a simple sign that says" Graphic images ahead, if you have kids - come back tomorrow…"

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]As graphic as it is ,it is the truth:nope: The reason so many accept abortion is because the propaganda is lies,like it is a blob of tissue:mad: That is why the pro-aborts will not allow abortions to be shown on the MSM,notice everything else is.
[/quote]

I agree. When I was in highschool we were shown a video about abortion where they showed aborted fetus’ in buckets at an abortion clinic. I was sick for a week after seeing that. I saw nothing wrong with them showing us that though because if it stopped at least one girl in my class from having an abortion then it was well worth it. Sometimes the reality of things is not so pretty, but it needs to be shown.

God Bless,
Kerri

I disagree and think they SHOULD NOT be shown in a public place where small children can’t avoid seeing them. There is already so much in the world thrown in their little faces - their innocence is robbed way too early and if LARGE GRAPHIC PICTURES of murdered babies bother me, I can only imagine what it does to a small child.

I say that as a 100%, no compromise, pro life supporter.

[quote=carol marie]I disagree and think they SHOULD NOT be shown in a public place where small children can’t avoid seeing them. There is already so much in the world thrown in their little faces - their innocence is robbed way too early and if LARGE GRAPHIC PICTURES of murdered babies bother me, I can only imagine what it does to a small child.

[/quote]

The youngest person I have seen going into an abortion mill in memphis was a 9 year old:nope: Her parents said her grandpa raped her:mad: The average ages is 12-15 years old.The pictures should bother all of us:(

[quote=carol marie]I disagree and think they SHOULD NOT be shown in a public place where small children can’t avoid seeing them. There is already so much in the world thrown in their little faces - their innocence is robbed way too early and if LARGE GRAPHIC PICTURES of murdered babies bother me, I can only imagine what it does to a small child.

[/quote]

You know I hadn’t thought about it that way. I give money to an organization called something like Center for Bioethical Reform. They put HUGE photos on the sides of trucks, on fences. They put something like a coin next to the aborted baby to give perspective. It’s shocking to see how even if the size of a quarter the unborn baby is VERY human. I wish we could force all abortion clinics to show these photos before a woman makes a decision. If that were the case we wouldn’t have to use the billboard method.

Do you think that a small child would understand what the photo portrayed? Even though the aborted baby is very human looking, it’s not like seeing a graphic photo of a toddler or child torn to pieces.

I’ll have to think on that one.,…

Lisa N

I do not see anything wrong with displaying graphic representations of the truth. I do think that children seeing such posing challenges as a parent. I have four children, and my eldest is 10. She is very sensitive to things like this. Having to explain Terri Schiavo, the Pope’s death, abortion issues, etc has kept me on my toes as a dad. What is the outcome you ask? A very in touch, loving, and righteous 10 year old girl! Maybe it is hard for us to do, but they will get the knowledge from one source or another. I would prefer to be responsible for my children’s education, and the abortion issue is just one more immoral problem that falls on the parents to expose and correct.

I do believe that the “politically touchy” subjects should not be forced on them by the parents though - Another of your tasks is to protect the innocence of your children. I opine that this does not mean to keep them in the dark about moral problems in society, but it means to educate them as they bring those questions to you.

Remember - nowhere in your “Childcare Manual” that God gave you when your kids were born does it state that parenting your children to their salvation will be an easy task.

Peace,

Gordon

[quote=Lisa N]I wish we could force all abortion clinics to show these photos before a woman makes a decision.
[/quote]

Good idea. Bring a human factor to that baby for the mother to see!

Peace,

Gordon

[quote=Lisa N]You know I hadn’t thought about it that way. I give money to an organization called something like Center for Bioethical Reform. They put HUGE photos on the sides of trucks, on fences. They put something like a coin next to the aborted baby to give perspective. It’s shocking to see how even if the size of a quarter the unborn baby is VERY human. I wish we could force all abortion clinics to show these photos before a woman makes a decision. If that were the case we wouldn’t have to use the billboard method.

Do you think that a small child would understand what the photo portrayed? Even though the aborted baby is very human looking, it’s not like seeing a graphic photo of a toddler or child torn to pieces.

I’ll have to think on that one.,…

Lisa N
[/quote]

A friend of mine was taking her child (age 4 maybe?) into the Millwaukee Zoo on a Saturday. Pro life protesters were there with HUGE signs at the enterance - apparently a large hospital was having it’s family picnic zoo day. There were TONS of children that had to walk right past the signs - no avoiding it. I know my friend’s daugher asked what they were? Too graphic and gory for small eyes. And reagarding the 9 year old who had an abortion… that cerainly wouldn’t be typical I’m sure. I wouldn’t want my 9 year old looking at the signs. I want her to be oblivious of the evil that Mothers kill their babies and throw them in the garbage for as long as possible. It’s no different from a holocost movie - I wouldn’t let her see that either. Just like I don’t let her watch the news. I want my children to be children and not carry the burdens of an adult and to have someone else THRUST that in our face without my permission is shameful.

[quote=Tom444]Yesterday, some friends and I drove past a pro-life protest on Forbes Avenue by Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. Normally, I agree with such protests, but in this case, most of the protesters were holding huge (3 to 4 feet high) full-color photographs of aborted fetuses. While I can appreciate their motive of wanting to show the reality of abortion, I’m not sure whether this is really an appropriate way to do so. They weren’t even on the sidewalks outside the hospital (the building is actually on a side street), but right on one of the busiest roads in the city on a Sunday afternoon. My biggest reservation about this is that families with young children will also see these extremely graphic pictures. Overall, I’m not sure whether or not this is an appropriate means of protest. What does everybody else think?
[/quote]

I think it’s really wrong to have signs like that. It debases the Right to Life movement to the status of Shock Jock, and in my opinion further dehumanizes the children that have been killed in this manner. I’d hate for my child to see a poster like that…just like I’d hate for her to see A Nightmare on Elm Street. How can you touch someone’s heart when you’re turning their stomach?

[quote=tcay584]I think it’s really wrong to have signs like that. It debases the Right to Life movement to the status of Shock Jock, and in my opinion further dehumanizes the children that have been killed in this manner.
[/quote]

You bring up good points that I didn’t think of earlier… I guess that it is demeaning to those holy innocents that were taken. I still believe in the premises that I listed earlier, but am considering changing my vote on this poll… :smiley:

Maybe we should try to convert with love instead of shock…

Peace,

Gordon

I do think that anyone wishing to have an abortion should have to see these pictures - that is for sure.

But I do think the right to life movement has to be careful not to alienate those who would otherwise be on their side. If you are too “in your face” you can come off as a wacko. There is probably a good balance here somewhere, but you want to make sure your message gets to the right people. And I think young children who don’t understand it isn’t the target audience.

[quote=Tom444]Yesterday, some friends and I drove past a pro-life protest on Forbes Avenue by Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. Normally, I agree with such protests, but in this case, most of the protesters were holding huge (3 to 4 feet high) full-color photographs of aborted fetuses. While I can appreciate their motive of wanting to show the reality of abortion, I’m not sure whether this is really an appropriate way to do so. They weren’t even on the sidewalks outside the hospital (the building is actually on a side street), but right on one of the busiest roads in the city on a Sunday afternoon. My biggest reservation about this is that families with young children will also see these extremely graphic pictures. Overall, I’m not sure whether or not this is an appropriate means of protest. What does everybody else think?
[/quote]

I don’t think it is right to get graphic, even if the intent is for the greater good, it is still bad because we do not need to let children see this or people who have anxiety conditions or just weak constitutions. Not everyone who walks by and sees that are people who are for abortion! Why are you punishing those against abortion? We already know it is horrible and bad, we do not wish to see it and be reminded of the sadness!

I think it is as bad as Peta showing slaughtered animals and showing pictures of the President who had altheimers or showing a distrubing pictures of Santa Clause on bulletin boards.

[quote=mommy]If it is at the clinic where they are being performed, I don’t have a big problem with it, because we know where the clinics are, and can avoid that area if we need to (like when my children were really young, I didn’t need to show them those images when they weren’t ready for it)
[/quote]

Now this I agree with completely! That way children won’t have to be subject to such things or passer-bys who agree abortion is wrong.

It doesn’t really matter how far I think is too far, does it? No matter where that is, someone is going to go a little bit farther. That’s the law of the jungle… or maybe the law of daytime television. I can’t remember which.

Still, there are certain things you just know. For example, you know if you want to take a stroll in Bagdad, you’d better wear a bullet proof vest. If you take a carload of kids past an abortion clinic, you might have a little explaining to do. Pick another route.

It’s when these images are encountered unexpectedly or in an inapropriate situation that there is a problem. There was a truck driving around town for awhile with a nine-foot long picture of an aborted fetus. Not the way to win friends and influence people for some… perhaps for others it resulted in being shocked into facing the truth. (Or, at least I can hope.)

Still, I saw this truck on the road outside of Chuck E. Cheese. I found myself thinking, “Way to go, brainiak. Pick another route.”

We live in a culture that loves to be shocked. Is a photo of an aborted fetus on a truck worse that tabloid pictures? I think it is because it is real and Bat Boy isn’t, but a child might not be able to fully grasp that. Maybe it’s not the picture – not the message – that is the problem, but the forum in which the messenger chooses to present his message.

Maybe what is needed is a bit of good judgement on the part of the protester?

This is definitely a tough issue, but I feel that the pro-aborts have succeeded in propogating the lie that an aborted fetus is not human. I think images, even if seen just once, really burn in your mind that the fetus is truly a human person and gets people talking, just like they are on this board. I think the worst thing that can happen is that the world continues to turn a blind eye on the reality of what is being legally protected in this country.

I am not Catholic, but I want to be. I dont’ if I can after what I say here.
In 1985 I got pregnant out of wedlock. I was not told much about sex so I thought I was doing ok on not getting pregnant. We were not using anything, just not finishing inside. I was 17. He was 20. I was about 3 months along before I knew I was. Cause I did not have sickness or any other symptom. When I found at the doc office I was crying at first and then it took about 3 hours and desided it was going to be ok. I could not tell my parents about the baby yet. We were not close at all. I told my fiance’ about the baby. His first sentance was, we can’t keep it. I said I will not give up my baby for adoption. He said no, I mean you are not going to have it. We faught about the baby for about 2 weeks. He gave me an ultimatum. I guess I was too young to make that decision. I gave in and tearfully agreed. I just did it for him.

October 19, 1985, early morning he can and got me. Mom thought we were going to do wedding stuff. We headed out for Beaumont Texas. I begged him all the way down there, please, plaese can I keep the baby. Sobbing and sick from the dreaded feelings for death coming we arrived at the place. There were people picketing out there. They looked me with concern. They could see I was not happy. They were not allowed to come close to the evil place. They begged me not to go in. I wanted just one person to come and touch me and say you don’t have to do this. I was looking at them and just wishing one would come to me. We went in. I was a terrible feeling just as I passed through the doors. I had this feeling one time before early that summer I visited Docow. Evil !!! He went up and paid $250 for the murder of our baby. I sat until my name was called. I was so nervous and sick and broken hearted. I kept hearing the voice you don’t have to do this. Go out and go home. Stop! I didn’t know until I grew up some GOD was trying to stop me. Oh how I wished I had figured that out at the time.
I went back to a room that had a “counselor” that asked me was I sure I wanted to do this. I said no. She said ok and sent me to the next room. I thought she would be the one to help me. I was just another number. The next room had a “nurse” that told me take off everything and taake this pill. It was a valum. They did not ask did I have any allergies to medication. Well I did what I was told and took it. It did not help. Then next in my paper gown I was taken to a holding area where there were about 6 to 7 other girls waiting. Some were joking some were quiet and some of us was crying. They had gotten through all of them and then They called my name. I have never felt sick to hear my name called. The “nurse” came in and said here let me help you. Finally some body that could see I was a weak teenager desperate for help. She lead me back to “THE ROOM”. She said lay down on the table. Yes mam, I answered, still an affraid little girl. I did all that they told me to do. I was still crying and shaking. Nobody would stop it. The “doctor”/murderer turned on this thing that looked like a shop vac. It had a clear lid on top. He pushed me back and I said STOP, I cant do this. Finnnally I brave enough to stop this terrible thing. The “doctor”/murderer told the nurse to sedate me. He told me it was too late. I did not know that they had a needle full of stuff to sedate girls when they changed they minds or just lost their minds. Now nothing had happened to my baby as of yet. I was forced down by three nurses and was given a shot that left me fully awake but could not move. As I lay there not being able to help myself or my baby. I did see my baby. In pieces and blood and amniotic fluid as it passed over the top of the lid of that evil machine. I had my baby ripped from my safe body under protest. I all could do is say I am sorry to my baby I did not get out of there before he/she was murdered. Then after that I was taken to a room that had couchs all the way around the room and this is where we were suppose to recover. The nurses would come by even so often to see if the bleeding had slowded down enough to leave. Finnally mine had but I stiil could not walk cause of being sedated. My fiance’ had to come pick me up and carry me out to the truck. All he could say was hey I am hungry lets go get pizza.

I have since gone back to that place, which has moved locations, but to the place where my baby was stolen and murdered. I pray for forgivness from GOD, and for my baby to forgive me too. This has ruined much of my life. The stupid people that say it has no lasting effects, has never had one.

I have called many politicans and even written the President to ask to speak about reversing Roe vs. Wade. I just get the run around. If I have to humilate myself in front of the world and tell of this evil act I will. I am ashamed. I will not give up on getting rid of abortion.

The signs are very necessary. Terrible but necssary.

Dawn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.