Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy assed.”

The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.”

Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference.

radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/anti-bullying-speaker-curses-mocks-christian-teens.html

Sounds like anti-Christian bullying to me. :shrug:

Jon

Dan Savage has said the most disgusting things and used smear tactics against Christians in the past, and he continues now.

These days the only bullying that seems to matter is anti-gay bullying. It has been a while since I’ve heard of kids condemned for any other type.

Well, in my 5th grade classroom you would hear it, but certainly not amongst the progressives that run the schools in this country.

Jon

I guess Mr. Savage must not consider what he is doing to be bullying…

Obviously, the news article is pretty biased (it’s Fox News, so take it with a grain of salt), but it did get some things right. From the video at the end, perhaps he wasn’t cursing them out specifically with such vitriol as the article implies, but he was definitely out of place with his talk. I don’t know what his talk was supposed to be about, but obviously, considering this is a conference about journalism he should probably have talked about something relating to journalism. He could have talked about how homosexuals are portrayed in the news. He could have talked about how anti-gay bullying victims are shown in the news. He could even have exposed the bias of Fox News and other news organizations towards homosexuals. But he chose instead to bash the Bible (at least to start off his talk with). At a conference about journalism. It just shows where his priorities lie.

I would be surprised if there is any truth to this. Dan Savage was raised Catholic and has often commented on still having sentimental attachments to the church, even if for other reasons he cannot practice. Dan Savage started the “It Gets Better” campaign to try to keep gay youths from committing suicide.

I totally believe it. I have read his column----unfortunately-----and I believe it. Sorry.
He’s “sentimental” for the Church in the sense Ane Rice used to be sentimental for the Church-----where she could focus on the rituals and coveniently ignore the core teachings of the Church. “Pick and choose,” so to speak.
Also-------are you also calling the witnesses to this liars?

Give me a break--------sounds to me you are in denial or just being disingenous. Anybody who knows anything about Savage knows perfectly well he’s capable of this vile thing.

Not meaning to sound uncharitable, but I’m sorry-----------this is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Sorry.

Yes, uncharitable and also insulting, and since I didn’t address anybody or say anything shocking, I don’t know what your problem is.

I watched the video, did you? The controversial party is only three minutes long, from a much longer talk. Dan Savage talks about the parts of the Bible that most of us now ignore and/or reject – condoning slavery, prohibiting the eating of shellfish, stoning women for not being virgins, and he includes the passages about homosexuality along with these parts to be rejected. He says these parts of the Bible have been used to justify physical beatings he has endured, which is why he’s emotional about it. I think Savage made a mistake in using the term “Bulls–t” in reference to these parts, since it detracts from this point, and maybe the students would have listened if he had used another word, but his point is pretty solid.

I notice that FOX, of course, does not quote any of this in their article, and is overwhelmingly biased. Funny how the right wing cries “political correctness” every time they get in trouble for saying something, but then turns right around and whines when someone says something they don’t like.

If the Christian students can’t take three minutes of a speech questioning their beliefs, they have less guts than a filet.

I watched the video and he wasn’t that bad,in comparison to other things I’ve seen. The article did make it out to be worse. He was trying to be ‘rational’ and make an argument against what he perceives to be a major blockage to his freedom…bullying ect. My question is, I’m constantly hearing about the shellfish, menstruation, stoning thing as debates against the bible. Now I’m no biblical scholar by any means but how do you defend that? I’m interested as a defender of the faith. I mean it’s clear enough from Jesus’s teachings that none of that would matter…help :slight_smile:

So, you are saying the video is inaccurate? Please explain.

scroll up, already answered

The following is from MSN for those who have a problem with Fox News.

"Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room

Dan Savage knows how to work a room. He also knows how to clear one out. The founder of the “It Gets Better” project did both during a recent speech at a high school journalism convention in Seattle. He called the Bible pro-slavery and argued that if the Bible got something like slavery wrong then anti-gay protestors shouldn’t use the book as a defense for their views. As you can see in this video, some students applauded while others walked out. Savage called those fleeing the room “pansy ***” and later apologized if he “hurt anyone’s feelings.”

Source: now.msn.com/now/0428-savage-bible-speech.aspx

The only thing bias here and should be taken “with a grain of salt” is you.

Care to explain, or is that just a pot shot?

No objective news article could write a sentence like this:

Savage did offer a sarcastic apology “if I hurt anyone’s feelings.”

Maybe an editorial, but not a news article.

Another post shows the MSNBC article that covers the incident without just representing one side.

Pretty ironic that FOX, reporting on a journalism conference, would produce one of their usual bad-journalism propaganda pieces.

FYI The Anti-Bullying campaign has been and continues to be in support of the homosexual agenda. Nothing more.

The real agenda behind gay anti-bullying clubs in your school Oh, and for those of you who are afraid of Fox News, you’re safe. Its from LifeSiteNews

Oh, but it is you who has the problem. You disregarded your Catholism to bash Fox News. Fox told the story, provided the video, and all you do is bash the messenger for that small statement. Please. It is you who is bias.

It’s quite believable. For one thing, the raw video footage of his speech shows quite clearly exactly what he said. Second, look at his past pattern of behavior. He has done and said similarly hateful things many many times in the past. He even once suggested of a Republican politician that he should be tied by rope to the back of a truck and driven around until only the rope was left. He’s quite an angry and spiteful person.

Victims of bullying very often become bullies themselves. Unfortunately that is what has happened here.

Scroll up, I answered this in post #10. I think Dan Savage used a poor choice of words but his points are valid, and the students are pretty wimpy if they can’t sit through 3 minutes of criticism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.