Anti-Catholic Adoption Agency

Here’s an action item from Catholic Exchange, hopefully we can get this group to clear up their misconceptions.

BTW - their “statement of faith” does not contradict Catholic teaching!

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=3&art_id=29436

A Christian group refuses to let Catholics
adopt.

cnn.com/2005/US/07/15/adoption.church.ap/index.html

That’s disgusting.

I wouldn’t mind if we actually disagreed with their statement of faith. But being that Catholics are completely in line with it, this is obviously just prejudice.

Josh

That is freakin shady!

Eamon

If you read the 6th paragragh of their mission statement you can see where our differences of faith are.
bethany.org/A55798/bethanyWWW.nsf/0/FAF8F0A9A73CA87D85256E3C006815D9

It’s that old beast Sola Scriptura

I think they’re wrongheaded, but that being said I don’t have a problem with them setting their own rules for whom they will allow to adopt children through them, just as I’d have no problem with an agency that promised to place kids in good Catholic homes – or good Muslim homes for that matter.

Here is their statement of faith which they require applicants to agree to:

Bethany Christian Services is founded upon the Scriptures which reveal the triune God. Members of the national board, local boards, staff and adoptive applicants in domestic private adoptions indicate their personal agreement with Bethany’s Statement of Faith by signing below.

I believe that the sovereign, triune God created the world out of nothing and sustains His creation. The heavens and earth are His handiwork. He made man and woman in His image and likeness as the crown of creation. All creation reflects His greatness and power.

I believe that God created the family, giving Adam and Eve the responsibility to conceive, bear and nurture children. As the creator of life, God Himself begins each human life at conception and gives to each person, as His image bearer, meaning, dignity and value.

I believe that sin entered the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God and sought to be independent of Him. As a result of this Fall, all people are estranged from God and live in a world permeated by sin.

I believe that God, by His grace, provided redemption and restoration in Jesus Christ for all who repent and believe. As the Savior, Jesus takes away the sins of the world. Jesus is the one in whom we are called to put our hope, our only hope for forgiveness of sin and for reconciliation with God and with one another.

I believe that in all matters of faith and life, the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the final authority. The Scriptures point us with full reliability to Jesus, God’s Son. The Scriptures tell us that we receive forgiveness of sins by faith in Jesus Christ, and that God provides salvation by grace alone for those who repent and believe.

I believe that forgiveness comes through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, who was made flesh, took our place in death, rose from the dead, and is now in glory with the Father interceding and praying for His people.

I believe that God, through His Spirit, lovingly calls, redeems and adopts us into His family, the Church and that, in gratitude for God’s saving love in Christ, we are called to live a life of faithfulness and obedience according to the scriptures.

I believe that Jesus, through His Spirit, is presently directing God’s work of making all things new.

I believe that the Christian Church, as the community of believers, has an obligation to protect, preserve, and enhance life as fully as possible for each person, born and unborn, from the beginning to the end of life. As Christians we are called to a life of faith into an ongoing ministry until that mission is completed by the coming of the Kingdom in its fullness. The Holy Spirit empowers us to fulfill that calling.

I, along with all followers of Christ, believe and wait expectantly for the triumphant return of Jesus Christ our King. At that time, I believe that Jesus Christ will gather us to Himself as one complete family and will, throughout eternity, fully enhance the lives of His children as citizens of His kingdom, sons and daughters in our Father’s house. As His children we long hopefully for that day to appear and we face that day without fear, for the Judge is our Savior and Lord. To Him be the glory.

We can discuss whether there are disagreements between that statement and Catholic doctrine, but I wouldn’t dispute that organizations right to make their own judgement.

–Bill

[quote=Mot Juste]I think they’re wrongheaded, but that being said I don’t have a problem with them setting their own rules for whom they will allow to adopt children through them, just as I’d have no problem with an agency that promised to place kids in good Catholic homes – or good Muslim homes for that matter.

We can discuss whether there are disagreements between that statement and Catholic doctrine, but I wouldn’t dispute that organizations right to make their own judgement.

–Bill
[/quote]

I agree completely, but if Catholic money is going in to their pockets I do have a problem. catholicleague.com/05press_releases/quarter%203/050718_adoptions.htm

I personally know of one Christian adoption agency that turned a person away just because their inquiry letter said, “I’m a Catholic who believe you need to live a good, upstanding life.”

Their excuse? It wasn’t “spiritual” enough. Bah. I don’t know where this prejudice comes from, but when it gets to the point you would rather let a child remain an orphan than place them with a “good, upstanding person” that is pretty sick.

Hmm… the only thing I see that would hint at Sola Scriptura is

the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the final authority.

However, everything that the church teaches and adheres to is in the scriptures and based in the scriptures, as taught by sacred Tradition. In that sense, the scriptures are the final authority.

but I wouldn’t dispute that organizations right to make their own judgement.

I believe the organization has a right to make its own judgement based off the publically disclosed beliefs. In the event one of their beliefs is being debated, they need to define it further before blanket rejecting people because of it.

Josh

Do Catholic agencies refuse Protestant parents? (Actually, if they don’t, they might out to).

From the other side, we basically do the same thing, if we advance a rigidly conservative understanding of *Extra Ecclesium Nolo Salus. *We shouldn’t be surprised when other groups do essentially the same thing.

Please see also the discussion in this thread forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=64891

–Bill

All I have to say is that that particular org. is WEAK. Take the Catholics donations but then say they can’t adopt. I not even going to use the H word because they can read it in the Bible since the believe on the Scripture so much. :mad:

I don’t know if this was mentioned before since the Forums were down. A Christian adoption agency has rejected Catholic parents
because in the words of the Agency:

“It has been our understanding that Catholicism does not agree with our Statement of Faith…Jesus is the one in whom we are called to put our hope, our only hope for forgiveness of sin and for reconciliation with God and with one another.”

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715/ap_on_re_us/adoption_catholics_2

I cannot see how they say they do not receive public money when:

Bethany is one of 24 adoption and pregnancy counseling centers in Mississippi that receives money from the sale of Choose Life tags, a special plate that motorists can obtain with an extra fee.Of $244,000 generated by the sale of the tags in 2004, Bethany received $7,053, said Geraldine Gray, treasurer of Choose Life Mississippi, which distributes the money.

Isn’t this public money?

PF

Is this indicative of the deepening divisions between Christians in American society? Or is it a one off?

They are a private organization, they can do what they want. HOWEVER, I don’t believe they should be eligable to receive state / taxpayer money from all denominations, then reject who they will serve. :tsktsk:

Since Bethany is not the only organization that gets money from the license plates, the plate purchaser should be able to designate which organization gets the money from his purchase of the license plate.

I am astounded that such a large organization has such a little mind. Any communication that we Catholics send to them or the media should be filled with charity lest we give them a real reason to not place children in the homes of Catholics!

Debbie

[quote=Mot Juste]I think they’re wrongheaded, but that being said I don’t have a problem with them setting their own rules for whom they will allow to adopt children through them, just as I’d have no problem with an agency that promised to place kids in good Catholic homes – or good Muslim homes for that matter.

–Bill
[/quote]

The problem isn’t that they shouldn’t be allowed to set their own rules, the problem is is that they receive state funding from the sale of “pro-life” license plates. They shouldn’t be receiving state funding if they are going to discriminate.

Just my 2¢.

Hi -
I posted on this on the Family Life forum. There are Catholic agencies that only adopt to Catholic families but to my knowledge they don’t take money from other denominations, unlike Bethany which receives money from Catholic taxpayers.

Catholic Exchange has an action item alert on this - I’m sure the knowledgeable posters here on CA could clear up their misconceptions about us, we’re not that bad!! :mad:

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=3&art_id=29436

[quote=FightingFat]Is this indicative of the deepening divisions between Christians in American society? Or is it a one off?
[/quote]

Hi FF, sounds to me almost like a Sunni Shi’ite scenario! Sad really that some can’t throw of their history and historical prejudices, at least we can always remember the actual meaning of the word Catholic. Pity others can’t.

[quote=Semper Fi]The problem isn’t that they shouldn’t be allowed to set their own rules, the problem is is that they receive state funding from the sale of “pro-life” license plates. They shouldn’t be receiving state funding if they are going to discriminate.

Just my 2¢.
[/quote]

I’d be real careful of the slippery slope here. This sort of argument – denying funding to people because they follow their religious principles instead of an outside fairness standard – is just what secularists use to force Catholic charities to pay for contraception, to force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions, etc.

I truly believe that we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we go after this organization politically.

Bethany is only one of 24 that receives money from those plates. Less than 3% of the money donated through the license plates goes to them (per the numbers in the original article).

Now I agree in principle with the idea that purchasers of these license plates ought to be able to direct their funds, but there may be other factors. For example: according to the Mississippi DMV web site, the annual fee for one of these plates is $31. I would guess that some of that goes to cover administrative costs, but even if it didn’t, Bethany’s share would only be 90 cents. If Mississippi decides to let people direct the money, administrative costs would have to increase. How much? I don’t know, but if it was just $1 per plate additional, then you’ve more than lost the fraction that was going to Bethany.

I for one like the idea of government money helping out faith-based charities, even if I disagree with some of those faiths. I’m really afraid that getting us Catholics up in arms against a fundamentalist charity is just going to play into the hands of those who want all faith-based programs ended.

–Bill

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.