Anti-catholic brother

Hi guys hows it going. A few years ago my brother announced that he was no longer Catholic and is now Agnostic although he does believe there is some kind of SUPREME FORCE behind the Universe. Lately though hes been very anti-catholic and often talks about the Vatican, Corruption, Jesuits, etc. He watches a lot of Conspiracy Theory videos so it doesn’t suprise me. I just dont want him to become one of those Conspiracist Nuts although he seems to be on his way. Speaking of the Vatican, the other day he said that Napoleon Bonaparte kidnapped the Pope because he knew of the Power of the Vatican Bank. He also says the Pope was kidnapped because the Vatican Bank supposedly is “Connected” with the Rothschilds, who he says is evil, and controlling everything. How do I respond to his claims? What should I say to my brother?

How old is he? What he needs is education. Encourage him to continue his education and a good reading plan. Don’t argue or talk about conspiracy theories. Such nonsense is not worth discussing.

He is actually older than me. He is 23 going to 24 and Im 20 at the moment. Its sad.

When I was that age (30 years ago) I thought my thoughts were the thoughtiest thoughts that ever were thought.

He’s young. Give him time for the world and life to prove him wrong.

Can you change the subject and ask him not to talk about religion, since you disagree?

Also, pray for your brother.

Ask him for evidence that ISN’T from conspiracy theory videos

Sounds like a sudden chemical imbalance…

This. I have a very good friend about whom your post could have been written. Her evidence includes books like Exo-Vaticana and Petrus Romanus, as well as you-tube videos from the UFO/Vatican Conspiracy crowd. She’s in her 50’s and a well read, professional woman. Why she believes this trash, I can’t say, excepting I suspect that she wants to believe it. So, prayer–consistent, persistent, fervent, sacrifical prayer–and love may be all that can reach them.

My wife is anti-Catholic, and to make things worse, she is always criticising and even attacking the Catholic Church. Besides doing it publicly, she does it to me without any regard my beliefs and how I feel. She went with me to Mass on Saturday Easter Vigil This time she complained the church didn’t have hymn ( her words) and didn’t like the way the Mass was celebrated, esp with the type of music that we had. Of course she hates every thing about the church. She even posted on Facebook, in public, her negative opinion of the Easter Vigil Mass. Besides everyone being able to read what she had written, she knows that I would read it. Absolutely no regard for my feelings. I can deal with anyone attacking me personally, and in those situations, it does not bother me at all. But when she attacks the church, and everything about it, it saddens my heart. We usually attend her church’s services on Sunday ( I attend Mass alone on Saturday vigil, Easter being the exception), and I do so out of respect for her, and I show respect to her services and her faith as well. Because of all her negative criticism about the previous night’s Mass, it made me so depressed that I didn’t want to go. And I did not, and she stayed home as well, and was very, very angry at me. This is difficult for me to admit, but it does hurt my feelings and makes me depressed.

I believe you did the right thing though I’m terribly sorry that you are facing this.

I do have a suggestion though. In the New Testament we find passages that mandate that wives obey their husbands out of obedience to Christ, and, having been active in both Baptists and Assembly of God I know that this is a big deal to them, so please pray about this and then print out and give her these scripture references.

1 Peter 3:1-22

Colossians 3:18-19

1 Timothy 2:12

Galatians 3:28

**Ephesians 5:21-33

**Now it’s important you do this with all the charity you can muster, okay.

You must firmly tell her that effective right away that she is to be obedient to you as her husband even if she thinks you are not a Christian because you are Catholic. She may see herself as “unequally yoked” with you, but that’s no excuse(See 2st Corinthians 7:13-14) and that you forbid her to badmouth the Catholic faith in any way, either in public or in private and that she must remove every social media post she has that does so. Tell her that this is exactly what the Bible mandates for married couples and that if she calls herself Christian then this is the way it has to be.

Tell her that you will also abide by all that the New Testament commands for a husband in her regard.

Be sure to look up all of these scriptures and print them out so you both have a copy so you know where you stand. You will need to assure her of your love for her and that these are the scriptural standards for your marriage.

It may be difficult but this is where you make your stand in order to save your marriage and (God willing) win her over. There is no “wiggle room” in this…this is what the Bible teaches. Period…

Be loving and kind in every way, but be firm about this because your faith and your marriage hang in the balance.

Rest assured of my constant prayer support.:slight_smile:

In your case you need to make constant use of the proof test.

Tell your brother 2 words every time he makes any such statement.

Simply say, “Prove It” and tell him that idiot YT videos and anyone who can’t provide real documentation don’t count. If any source cannot be positively verified by him then it’s just more anti-Catholic propaganda and tell him you aren’t gonna sit there and waste time listening to it.

Facts…verifiable facts is all that is acceptable. Baseless and unverifiable allegations mean nothing.

What you are going to find, (and hopefully he will too) is that almost every bit of his stuff is just anti-Catholic fiction. You see it all the time on a-C websites, so all you have to do is demand that he prove every last allegation and show you where you can document the source. Allegations without source are garbage in the same sense that saying the moon is made out of cheese.

It won’t be long until his arguments will collapse. Always make an opponent verifiably document everything and do so by saying you are only interested in truth.

Remember what Bishop Sheen said:

[size=3]There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. [/size]There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church - which is, of course, quite a different thing. These millions can hardly be blamed for hating Catholics because Catholics “adore statues”; because they “put the Blessed Mother on the same level with God”; because they say “indulgence is a permission to commit sin”; because the Pope “is a Fascist”; because the “Church is the defender of Capitalism.” If the Church taught or believed any one of these things it should be hated, but the fact is that the Church does not believe nor teach any one of them. It follows then that the hatred of the millions is directed against error and not against truth. As a matter of fact, if we Catholics believed all of the untruths and lies which were said against the Church, we probably would hate the Church a thousand times more than they do.

Again, know that I will have your back in prayer even as I’m sure many others here will. :thumbsup:

Sorry, correcting my late night typo.:blush:

Oh yeah, you might also tell her that she is free to ask you questions and you’ll provide sources for answers but no more badmouthing your Christian faith. :slight_smile:

Pray for your brother. We all go through a pursuit of the Truth, even if we were given the Truth as children. I didn’t return to the Church after leaving it as a kid until my 30’s. Remember the story of the prodigal son. Share the faith, set a good example, and by all means pray for your brother’s return.

Thanks for the answers guys. Btw I do tell him to prove it sometimes but he LOVES to remain in ignorance. Its annoying. But I am praying for him definately said my Chaplet of Mercy for him yesterday. He also thinks that Dr Robert Gallo actually invented AIDS/HIV instead of discovering it. He says that he “Created” AIDS to target Black people and Homosexuals. I always roll my eyes when he says this stuff. Oh well I know hes in the state of trying to figure out everything right now. Hes in the “Im correct because I say so and I saw it on youtube” state right now. God bless

I know how you feel. I see it all the time…http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/Picture17.png

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.