Anti-Catholic column in UNL student newspaper

Let’s play “count the errors” in this editorial…

dailynebraskan.com/opinion/citta_church_reinstates_antiquated%252C_risky_indulgences-1.1372509

I think this guy needs to find Jesus, and then get a life. He doesn’t seem to have anything else better to do than bash Holy Mother Church. We are used to it. :shrug: I will keep him in my prayers. :smiley:

I just wish that the usual suspects would get their facts straight and shutup about indulgences. What a load of rubbish! Why do atheists and agnostics bash our faith? Journalists don’t dare say anything against any other faith.

I am a lifelong Catholic and I don’t really understand indulgences. 100 days for saying a certain prayer. It doesn’t mean that. When we die our souls are out of time.

If I say a prayer or do a devotion of some kind, I don’t think about time off in Purgatory. I’ll probably there a long “time!” :eek:

If I have done something to gain an indulgence, well, let someone else have it.

An apostolic blessing and plenary indulgence from the pope at Christmas and Easter is a great gift. It is given in time by the successor of Peter who was our Lord’s designated leader. It is biblical. Of course you have to be in a state of grace to receive it.

I’m rambling but I’m asking myself if we’re out of the reformation yet. Why are uninformed journalists allowed to write this stuff?

It’s truly amazing. Nearly every “fact” appears to be made up as he went along. I wonder if an article this error-filled would have been published about any organization other than the church.

Thanks for the link. If that wouldn’t have been so sad, it would’ve been funny.

What could one expect from a PRE-MED student.:smiley: Some people’s children:eek:

Here’s a copy of my email to the editor. Hope I didn’t get anything wrong…

[FONT=Helv][size=3]After reading Kyle Citta’s editorial “Indulgences antiquated practice,” I felt the need to address a few of his errors regarding the teaching of the Catholic Church and indulgences.

First, the Church is not “bringing back” indulgences. The theological concept of indulgences has existed during the early Church and still exists in the Church today. The author’s confusion stems from the fact that some in the Church hierarchy abused this teaching during the time of Luther and begin offering indulgences to parishioners for a fee. As a result of Luther’s 95 Theses, the Council of Trent (1545-1563) condemned the “selling” of indulgences. No ecumenical council or pope has ever condemned indulgences themselves.

Kyle is also greatly mistaken by commenting that indulgences are a “get out of jail free” card. A basic definition of Purgatory (from the Catholic Answers, catholic.com/library/purgatory.asp) says “The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,” which is experienced by those “who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified” (CCC 1030). It notes that “this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned” (CCC 1031). The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven.”

An indulgence simply reduces the amount of purification a saved soul needs before entering Heaven.

Finally, I think that Kyle’s statement, “Buying into this **** is a risky proposition… Stick with the Hail Marys instead” was mean-spirited and uncalled for.

I encourage Kyle Citta to visit any type of Catholic Apologetics site such as Catholic Answers ([/size][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Helv][size=3][FONT=Helv][size=3]www.catholic.com[/size][/size][FONT=Helv][FONT=Helv][size=3]) to learn more about what Catholicism actually teaches before criticizing it so eagerly.
[/size][/FONT]

doubt they’ll print it, but good job

Anyone have the bishop’s contact info? I’ve been looking up and down the lincoln diocese web page and can’t find it. I’m gonna fisk this one I think because my wife went to UNL.

Oh, it would have. College editorial standards are pretty low. I’ve read some absolutely inane articles, mindlessly attacking the target of the week. Sometimes it the dining service for “effectively stealing our hard-earned money” when they held a trayless night to save water in solidarity with the poor, other times its protesters (we had both Ed Rendell on campus to speak for Obama and Cindy McCain, speaking for, well, you know) who “no matter what your political affiliation, your protests impugn the honor the school. You should be ashamed!”, and other times it is sports fans (“I’m ashamed to hear the mindless chatter around Super Bowl time. Why not read a book or watch a movie or do something worthwhile?”)

Well, now that I’ve vented about inane editorials…

Somebody has to be at the bottom of the class…

(and he is pre-med…consider this: Somewhere out there are doctors who graduated last in their class…):eek:

-Right off the bat, saying that it isn’t sexy, tells me this is a lustfilled person, Lord have mercy.
-Then he obviously doesn’t understand indulgences, no surprise there.
-No clue about the purification of purgatory either.
-This whole paragraph is just wrong and sick:
The Catholic Church has always looked for ways to make a quick buck. And exploiting people’s fear of spending a hell of a long time in purgatory offered an enticing proposition. Indulgences became a commodity that anyone could buy that would supposedly knock off a few years that they would have spent in purgatory.
-One has to wonder what they think those “pet projects” for the Church were. (but I can only imagine what a way ward mind like that would come up with.)
-Doesn’t have a clue about Vatican II either, or doctrine for that matter.
-Also has no idea of the Bible and what the verses on doing good mean.
Just one big ignorance after another, they need lots of prayer. At least they are aware of Hail Mary’s. I will remember them when I pray my Rosary tonight.
Perhaps we all need to leave a comment setting them straight and write to the College (or email them or call) to express our concern and outrage over this.

For those who would like more information on Indulgences:
catholic.com/search.asp?query=Indulgences

Jabronie, the paper has put up your letter to the editor:

dailynebraskan.com/opinion/letter_to_the_editor_indulgences_column_misinformed-1.1374627

Good job! :thumbsup:

Awesome!

I lost count by the second paragraph:D

also thanks to you for letting everyone know about this too.:thumbsup:
In regards to what i said about the author being a pre-med student,i meant it in the way that he doesn’t have much in the way of credentials to tackle such a topic.

I was praying that they’d print my letter. Not because I’m a mark for seeing my own name in print, but because I threw in two plugs for Catholic Answers. :thumbsup:

This bit was funny:

If Andrade automatically equates old with good then I’m sure she would love for the Catholic Church to put the mass back into Latin. She’d be excited to sit through the service with her priest’s back turned toward her. She must have a strong desire to revisit the Friday fasting rituals long abandoned by the actions of Vatican II.

The not-so-funny part about it though is that it struck me as similar in tone to some Catholics who deride (or simply don’t appreciate) tradition. Anyone else get chills on that one?

VC

Oye veh!
I’ve just posted a comment, as have 24 others, and counting. I’m thinking Kyle may regret this little column, and his choice to pose as a journalist this week :slight_smile:

Since I’m in RCIA I want to see how many errors I catch. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Part of Catholic doctrine states that in order for a person to enter heaven, many will have to spend a little time in purgatory first. Purgatory works off your sins until your soul has been scrubbed free of all the bad stuff.

buzzzz!!! Purgatory is where you spend time for the temporal punishment for sins. If you have not been forgiven of any mortal sins you do not get to go to Purgatory.

Vatican II made some stark changes to Catholic doctrine, and indulgences were all but erased.

Indulgences have always been there. Check your Rosary cards!

If Andrade automatically equates old with good then I’m sure she would love for the Catholic Church to put the mass back into Latin. She’d be excited to sit through the service with her priest’s back turned toward her. She must have a strong desire to revisit the Friday fasting rituals long abandoned by the actions of Vatican II.

After all, old is good.

This point has no logical value. It is an error in deductive reasoning.

Indulgences won’t wipe sin off this earth, they’ll only provide people with false hope. And without a signature from the Big Guy upstairs on one of these things, I’m not convinced that they’ll really do as the Church promises.

This was never the purpose of indulgences. It is this sort of uneducated spouting that made people believe that the premise of the movie Dogma was real.

The character of your soul should determine your passage into heaven, not the word of a piece of paper.

And water is wet and (ouch) fire is hot!

Indulgences brought the Catholic Church to the breaking point and forever altered the course of Christianity. They corrupted the most powerful figures of this religion and ushered in the most radical ideas concerning doctrine. They tore the fabric of tradition in favor of active Christian philosophy.

Wow, I guess he didn’t pay much attention in that Western Civ class. It was corrupt lower officials selling Pardons that caused more of the problems. Not the offering of indulgences.

Will someone explain why we are opening up Pandora’s Box again? Why bring this outdated and exhausted concept back from the dead? Do contemporary Catholics really believe that going to confession once a year and helping their neighbor take out the garbage is enough to shed a few years off their time in purgatory? I’ll give them a little more credit than that.

I hope people go to confession more than once a year! Also helping your neighbor with their trash, while quite charitable, is not the stuff of indulgences.

Nothing says “I love you” more than a couple years off of the blistering pain and torture of damnation in purgatory.

Again, Purgatory is NOT damnation. It is just the opposite. It is the evidence of the fiery love of our Merciful God.

How’d I do?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.