Anti-Catholic comments on Yahoo News

If you ever read the news from Yahoo, or probably any other web source, there are comments that anyone can make at the bottom of the story.

Anytime that there is any news about Catholics, particularly the Pope, the comments seems to run about 30 to 1 against the Church, calling the Pope a pedofile, and other very mean spirited attacks.

Occasionally I will put in my own two cents to counter what they are saying, but this seems very fruitless. These comment sections are very depressing, as I can't believe how most people seem to react to anything Catholic.

Anything we do besides pray?

My advice would be pray, stand up for the Truth and correct error where it needs correcting.

As Archbishop Fulton Sheen said "There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church — which is, of course, quite a different thing."

These words are still true today and will always be until the Second Coming.

[quote="upbeatjonm, post:1, topic:263683"]
If you ever read the news from Yahoo, or probably any other web source, there are comments that anyone can make at the bottom of the story.

Anytime that there is any news about Catholics, particularly the Pope, the comments seems to run about 30 to 1 against the Church, calling the Pope a pedofile, and other very mean spirited attacks.

Occasionally I will put in my own two cents to counter what they are saying, but this seems very fruitless. These comment sections are very depressing, as I can't believe how most people seem to react to anything Catholic.

[/quote]

On the internet? No. People are jerks on the internet because they can be. Anonymity is a double-edged sword. In real life? Yes. Don't argue with people, words do nothing, and frankly, there's probably nothing you could say that they haven't heard before. But, if you show them through your attitude and actions that the Catholic church isn't what they think, well, that's a lot harder to argue with because it isn't just a claim, you're giving them a fact. Show them patience, kindness, love, and that you are a happy person. You may not win converts like that, but you help ease the tension and hostilities.

1 Peter 3:15-16

Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope,
but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.

The 'gentleness and reverence' part is where I generally fail.

Anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice.

Take any anti-Cathlic slur, remove the word "Catholic" and replace it with some minority race, or "jew", or whatever, and you'll get the whole world in an uproar. But slur a Catholic and nobody bats an eye.

Pathetic.:mad::(:mad:

booksamillion.com/p/New-Anti-Catholicism/Philip-Jenkins/9780195176049?id=5219927625316

Interestinly enough, this book was written by a non-Catholic.

Anti-catholicism makes the Church thrive - it is never stronger than when being vilified! However, much of what is happening today is a reaction to the child abuse scandles that have emerged. Oh, for sure there are anti-churchers who are exploiting the facts for their own purposes, but mostly it's a case of the Catholic Church being the current bestest bogey-man to throw stones at.

Sadly, the reason for this is because of the self-inflicted wounds that unfaithful members of the Church have perpetuated & others have (attempted to )covered up! As I have stated before elsewhere - these are the wounds that really hurt because they oughtn't be there!

Grit your teeth, and trust to Him who is FIRE - the Holy Spirit,who is, i'm sure, purifying the Body of Christ of the filth that invaded it.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and the anti-Catholicism on "yahoo" drives me insane :banghead: I go to that web site all the time and I also put my 2 cents in all the time. I'm active in speaking up for the Church on those message boards. I do my best in defending our Church.

[quote="Little_Mary, post:6, topic:263683"]
booksamillion.com/p/New-Anti-Catholicism/Philip-Jenkins/9780195176049?id=5219927625316

Interestinly enough, this book was written by a non-Catholic.

[/quote]

Wow, that sounds like a great and timely book. I guess Jesus was right when He said that "they will hate you because they hated Me"

[quote="A_G, post:8, topic:263683"]
Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and the anti-Catholicism on "yahoo" drives me insane :banghead: I go to that web site all the time and I also put my 2 cents in all the time. I'm active in speaking up for the Church on those message boards. I do my best in defending our Church.

[/quote]

It drives me nuts too. The minute I see an article with the word Catholic or Pope in it, the venom is certainly spewing in the comment section. I have to believe that it is the militant factions of liberalism that flood the comments. I cringe to think that it is mainline thinking.:eek:

That happens in lot of places actually:

Newspaper articles comments.
Blogs.
Forums.
News pages.
Yahoo Answers.
Etc.

I think the best course of action is pray.

Blessings!

:)

My first reaction to these comments on those sites: :rolleyes:
The only reason why they do it is they are safely behind their computers.
Stand up for Truth and God bless.

A question I have is how come these news groups and other media apologize other groups and religions when they offend them because of their lobby groups and other special interest groups but not for Catholics?

Do we not have a lobby group or special interest group that will challenge these large news/media groups? Or is it because we don't threaten with violence or throw guilt trips on others so it has no effect?

The USA Today and CNN web sites are also popular places for anti-Catholic stories and comments. Ironically, I have made some great Catholic friends due to our apologetics efforts on the USA Today site. Such a positive outcome from such vile hatred.

DGB

[quote="Labarum, post:13, topic:263683"]
A question I have is how come these news groups and other media apologize other groups and religions when they offend them because of their lobby groups and other special interest groups but not for Catholics?

Do we not have a lobby group or special interest group that will challenge these large news/media groups? Or is it because we don't threaten with violence or throw guilt trips on others so it has no effect?

[/quote]

Catholic League President Bill Donohue does a great job responding to the anti-Catholic venom. It is unfortunate that he is not more widely heard, but sharing his responses would not aid in the anti-Catholic message that many of these liberal media sites are attempting to spread. Many times it feels like the Catholic Church is the last bastillon of morality in the world.

DGB

[quote="upbeatjonm, post:1, topic:263683"]

[/quote]

The people who post comments on Yahoo and similar sites make up a particular demographic, i.e. bitter, poorly informed people with too much free time on their hands who get off on insulting others and see that as making up for shortfalls in their personal lives. Most people simply do not have the time to read, let alone type up replies on these articles. The ones that do, are often just poorly informed bigots.

It's very noble of you to defend our faith.

[quote="Tenofovir, post:16, topic:263683"]
The people who post comments on Yahoo and similar sites make up a particular demographic, i.e. bitter, poorly informed people with too much free time on their hands who get off on insulting others and see that as making up for shortfalls in their personal lives. Most people simply do not have the time to read, let alone type up replies on these articles. The ones that do, are often just poorly informed bigots.

It's very noble of you to defend our faith.

[/quote]

That's probably very true what you said. I feel better with that explanation. It is not a true sample of public opinion.

In my experience, the attacks aren't just limited to Catholics. Anti-Christian bias runs rampant in some comment sections.

In general, I don't bother with responding. Most of those people have their minds made up already and enjoy wallowing in hatred and/or ignorance. Sometimes I respond, but only if it looks like I can make a point and persuade someone.

Don't cast your pearls before swine, heh.

Of course, you can always pray for them. I wish I could say I did it more often than I do.

I always ask science fetishist atheists if they're so pro-science, why not go to university and earn that BS(c) degree and work your way up to a MS(s) and then PhD. I always get silence in return.

The Yahoo! Answers article on Jesus (whether He existed or not) is a hoot. It's all bigotry through and through. Although in that case I don't think it's so much maladapted atheists who are posting but some other religious people who shall remain nameless.

But to add, a link has been discovered between some types of militant atheism and Asperger Syndrome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.