Anti-Catholic Falsehoods

It’s never an easy thing admitting one has believed a lie. The anger comes not so much from the lie, but that one has been gullible enough to buy into it. I suppose it is anger directed more toward oneself. But being lied to creates a vigilance that determines that I will not be fooled a second time. Many times the people passing on the lie do not know or mean to do so, they are just too lazy to check out the truth of it. So, I suppose some of it is anger at one’s self for lazy research.
The first lie I discovered concerned infant baptism. ’Infant baptism’, I was told, ‘was a creation that was absent in the early centuries of the Church.’ In fact, the Church had been baptizing infants from the beginning. A simple reading of Early Church history reveals this. Nobody questioned it until the sixteenth century.
The second lie that angered me was discovering many of the ‘heroic’ tales of Protestants of the past were ‘embellished‘, if not outright fabricated. I used to treasure “Foxes Martyrs of the World”. Many Christians would never dare question its authenticity any more than they would question the Bible itself. Discovering that John Foxe was safely abroad, writing his propaganda in Strasbourg, Frankfurt and Basle, during Mary Tudor’s reign was an eye-opener for me. He falsified and twisted the course of events. It disturbed me to learn that the Great Awakening was invented, not by historians but by eighteenth-century evangelicals who were skillful and enthusiastic religious promoters. The Great Awakening was a planned, not a spontaneous event. The embellishment of events by ‘trusted’ historians was devastating.
The third lie that angered me was the accusation that Catholics believe they can attain our own salvation without Christ, through works. I have never met a Catholic in their right mind who believes they are ‘working their way to Heaven.’ The Catholic Church teaches that one must have Faith to be saved. Without that, no one is saved. Grace alone (not faith alone) lets us recognize Christ and we are made capable through grace to respond to Him, that is, meet Him through faith, and then to cooperate with Him: bring forth fruit and glorify Him. Faith without works is dead, being alone.Works without faith are of no value. Faith without works is dead. Faith, joined with works, demonstrates that Grace is present. Faith precedes works, but faith without works is not the kind that saves. So, faith saves, but faith without works is not faith at all. It’s a neglected gift that gets us nowhere.
There are many other falsehoods too numerous to mention. But for me, these three angered me the most.

Feel free to add your own.

I was brought up without religion and though I always read and studied history religion was a subject where I had a lot of catching up to do. When I was in a very vulnerable place in my life I was trying to catch up on that topic. It was there I was exposed to a lot of anti-Catholic propaganda, while doing independent research on church history and comparative religion. Oh, I knew the history of Buddhism, a little about Hinduism, a lot about the new age movement, and a whole lot about paganism and mystery religions (real ones, not the ones new agers tell themselves tall tales about nowadays;) ), but as for the history of my own religion, Christianity, I was quilting together little shreds I gathered from many books and other sources, without any idea what I was working with. Want to know how naive I was? I thought there were perhaps a few hundred Christian books in the period after about 1968 or so and maybe twenty-five were ever very famous. I’d never heard of Tim LaHaye, Mike Warnke, Lauren Stratford, Dave Hunt…It was all new to me.
So, I interpreted every Christian source with the benefit of the doubt. I needed information of some kind so badly. I felt like someone hired for a complex, important job with no training who finds an outdated manual. It was so exciting to finally learn something about what some other Christians thought that I forgot to check everything out carefully. Anything with real-looking notes and citations at least made em wonder if it was true. And it’s very well-known that sustained suspicion, however slight, that something outlandish is true, will eventually destroy the mind’s capacity to judge what is realistic. That principle is used in coercive pesuasion routinely. It creates intellectual exhaustion to have nothing to go on and to be constantly made at least a little unsure about absurd things. It’s scary how easy it is. I’ve been reading about cults and mind control; very average people can manipulate very bright people very easily. We’ll all just be more careful in the future.

I’ve thought a lot about this in relation to the ‘end times prophecy’ touted by fundamentalists and evangelicals. Curiosity over the future is inbred in every human being, regardless of religion or non-religious. Dispensationalism is such a intricate mess that few evangelicals have the guts to challenge it. It prevents people from going outside the circle, very cultic.
The past of the Catholic Church is re-written, and so is Her future. ‘Whore of Babylon, Pope as anti-christ’ stuff. So there is no way out for the Catholic, he’s doomed from the beginning. To question it is scary. That is why those who have returned to the Church are treated the way they are.
The first step for me was questioning the entire fairy tale of dispensationalism and Rapture ‘theology’.

The idea that the Catholic Church gradually went into apostasy is one of the biggest, if not the biggest lies. I get given dates of the 12th century for things like the establishment of the Supremacy of the Papacy, I then find 2nd and 3rd century sources for it in minutes. Also the lie that the books that go in the Bible is obvious and it’s obvious that it’s the 66 book canon invented by Calvin (or someone similar), and were known by the early Church, despite the fact that the canon lists were very varied and purely on ‘history’ (taking out the authority of the Catholic Church, which they claim proves the canon) there’s a strong case against books like Jude and 2 Peter

It’s not their fault. Anti-Catholics are born into communities that , IMO, suffer from a kind of inferiority complex. They are not the biggest and the oldest and need to justify themselves to the point of lying. They are frozen in the traditions of Luther and Calvin and view Christianity through tainted lenses, all the while condemning ours. They are like the little brother who ran away from home and is not ready to admit that what he ran from is better than what he has. See the parable of the Prodigal Son.

Personally, I think Protestantism is dying. Their best scholars are converting, and more are admitting the error of sola scriptura.
[/FONT]http://www.surprisedbytruth.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5835

What fuels anti-Catholic propaganda is money. “Ministers” write a book knowing there are a lot of ignorant people out there who know nothing about history and have fears to exploit. There is a very large market for bigots like Jack Chick and Dave Hunt, and legions of others to take advantage of so many people. I think it can backfire because people will wonder why it is so important to disprove something in order to prove ones ‘truth’.

Nobody questioned it until the sixteenth century.

Nobody dreamed up any of the ridiculous protestant arguments until the 16th century. Oh, aside from the various heretical groups who I doubt modern prots would like to be lumped together with.

I am a convert. I used to be a non-christian. The first church I went to was evangelical. I was told that Catholics were not real Christians because their beliefs went against the bible.

I kept asking, “why did it take 1500 years for anyone to think of this if it says so in the Bible”?

No response.

I have still yet to hear a cogent counterargument. The only one I have heard is “it took us that long to figure it out”. Witty, but implies some kind of great apostasy by those closest to Christ- then if you follow that arguement, then why believe in the councils and the creed at all? Why take some things, like the true God, true Man concept, but leave the Theotokos/Mother of God, or the Real Presence? You just end up with a “salad bar” without any real authority.

As a convert who wanted to know the Truth from someone who knew (I had practiced my own made-up religion for years and wanted something more), this seemed utterly bankrupt of any appeal.

Dispensationalism was / is the biggest one for me. It’s so ingrained into my psyche that I sometimes find myself questioning events in light of that understanding even though I rejected it for Covenant Theology while still a Protestant… a deeper dive into Covenant Theology is what He used to help speed me home.

That is the most frustrating thing and the biggest lie for me… and to be the biggest travesty for Christianity - Dispensationalism. It’s not only effected, negatively IMHO, many Christians but also helped to shape political policies which have cost probably millions of people their lives in the middle east… :frowning:

Joe

Welcome home, Servant. :o

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]It’s not their fault. Anti-Catholics are born into communities that , IMO, suffer from a kind of inferiority complex. They are not the biggest and the oldest and need to justify themselves to the point of lying. They are frozen in the traditions of Luther and Calvin and view Christianity through tainted lenses, all the while condemning ours. They are like the little brother who ran away from home and is not ready to admit that what he ran from is better than what he has. See the parable of the Prodigal Son.

Personally, I think Protestantism is dying. Their best scholars are converting, and more are admitting the error of sola scriptura.
http://www.surprisedbytruth.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5835

What fuels anti-Catholic propaganda is money. “Ministers” write a book knowing there are a lot of ignorant people out there who know nothing about history and have fears to exploit. There is a very large market for bigots like Jack Chick and Dave Hunt, and legions of others to take advantage of so many people. I think it can backfire because people will wonder why it is so important to disprove something in order to prove ones ‘truth’.
[/size][/FONT]

I totally agree with this view. I think Protestants feel a threat of disintegration if they don’t have something to ‘protest’ about. They need to find fault with the Catholic Church because its, well, "there’. Its a big target and by attacking it, it gives them a reason to validate their religious beliefs. Its incredible to me how so many Protestants can maintain their illusion that has been passed down to them by their family and communities. I am so glad that I found my way back to the Catholic Church.

Isky
[RIGHT]forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_cad/quote.gif forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_cad/multiquote_off.gif [/RIGHT]
kepha1View Public ProfileSend a private message to kepha1Send email to kepha1Find all posts by kepha1Add kepha1 to Your Buddy List

This is something I have observed myself. It would be interesting to track the parallel history of dispensational theology and our Middle East policies.

That is the most frustrating thing and the biggest lie for me… and to be the biggest travesty for Christianity - Dispensationalism. It’s not only effected, negatively IMHO, many Christians but also helped to shape political policies which have cost probably millions of people their lives in the middle east…

I agree, I find the political effects of dispensational morally repulsive. I wonder if dispensational are the Real Whores of the Babylon of Big Oil. With a Chalice filled with blood and oil.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would ask this question on this one:
What is the one anti-Catholic falsehood that actually irritates you?

To paraphrase a T-shirt I once saw:

So many falsehoods
So little time

Probably the one I first heard–Catholics aren’t Christians It was 1960, I was 12, and a neighbor, also 12, said John F. Kennedy would have a better chance of getting elected if he “became a Christian.”

The one that invokes instant irritation for me is the claim that the Pope was responsible for the Holocaust.

“Scripture” clearly contradicts Catholic Dogma X.

Pick an X any X.

I find it the ultimate in Hubris to believe that “the Holy Spirit will lead” ME personally “to all truth” (but not you).

The only logical conclusion that you can reach when someone takes this position against a Church doctrine is that they must believe that 2000 years of Catholic Bishops, theologians and lay people all operated without the same guidance of the “Holy Spirit” that they find so authoritative. (Forgeting for a second that we can find many another Spirit filled anti-Catholic arguing the exact opposite position.)

Claiming the Bible is not explicit on the Doctrine in question and that you believe therefore that the Church does not have the authority to define doctrine in that area is a position I can at least logically accept without taking an implied attack on the faith and reason of all Catholics.

Chuck

The things I do not get is when they say

Catholics do not have a person relationship with Jesus.
Catholics can not be sure they are going to Heaven. In which they are referring to Sin of Presumption in which they do not understand what that is.
Catholics do not learn what is in the Bible.
Catholics are not Christians
Catholics pray to Mary, Saints, and statues
Lets not get into baptising infants or how a baptism should be performed.
I’m sure I can go on but those are the main ones that come to mind.
You can not reason with a consipracy theorist. They always claim they were suppressed and this is what really happened.

I find one of the most glaring issues anti-Catholics have is in relation to the Blessed Mother. She is someone they always relentlessly attack.
But curiously, cannot seem to escape.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.