Anti Catholic Incident at Montclair State University

Please see the below email, sent to the Student Body of Montclair State University…

The following letter to the Montclair State University Community has been written by the Newman Catholic Campus Ministry Executive Board. For more information about this Ministry at Montclair State University, please visit their website at WWW.MSUNEWMAN.COM or email Fr. Jim Chern, Chaplin Director at chernj@mail.montclair.edu.
Thank you.

To the Campus Community of Montclair State University:

We are writing in regards to the bias incident that occurred at the > Newman Catholic Center on November 6, 2008. As the executive board of > Newman Catholic Campus Ministry, we feel it is imperative that we > bring to your attention our concerns regarding this incident on behalf > of the Catholic community of Montclair State University.

The Newman Catholic Campus Ministry’s mission is to help the Catholic > students of Montclair State University develop their identity as > Catholic-Christians, and to have the opportunities to share and speak > about their faith with peers. As a Class II organization of the > Student Government Association, we do this in a variety of ways. Most > importantly we celebrate Mass on campus on Sunday evenings and offer > daily Mass and rosary. We create opportunities for social outreach: a > Bone Marrow Donor Drive, Canned Food Drives, Toys for Tots program, > and Action against Hunger project. We also offer faith-growing > activities such as: Bible studies, Lock-Ins, Retreats, Inter-faith > dialogues, and Faith Sharing. Furthermore, we have many social > opportunities for fellowship, which help to foster lasting > relationships between our members.

The bias crime that took place on November 6 involving a used condom > placed on the doorknob of the Newman Catholic Center was a direct > attack on our Catholic beliefs and teachings, as well as an attack on > a student’s residence and our place of worship. As Catholics, we value > life and in turn do not believe in the use of contraceptives. In > saying this, it is obvious that placing such an item on the doorknob > of our place of worship is extremely offensive and outright disgusting.

As students of Montclair State University, we are often told of the > University’s openness and acceptance of diversity. However, the > cavalier reactions of many people on this campus–including both > students and staff–have led us to believe otherwise. Many have > laughed off the attack, dubbing it a prank and thereby diminishing the > gravity of the incident. Some have even used the incident as a means > to further mock and demean our faith, criticizing the Catholic Church > for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with this issue. The > fact remains that to a Catholic student on this campus, what happened > was an attack on our belief system, and to laugh it off is to belie > the very ideas–of diversity, of acceptance–on which this university > is founded.

As students and leaders of Newman Catholic Campus Ministry we are > saddened that such an incident has placed us in this situation, but > grateful to have the opportunity to bring our concerns regarding the > incident to the greater campus community. We realize that each student > on this campus is a unique individual and it is our hope that as we > bring this issue to each of you, we can learn to appreciate our > differences and stand beside one another to truly create the diversity > our campus prides itself in.

We thank you for your time and consideration,

Newman Catholic Campus Ministry
Executive Board

Stupid and sophomoric. And yes, disgusting.

But not quite at the level of swastikas scrawled on a synagogue.

Nevertheless, one hopes the offender is found, and the system takes it’s usual course for hate crimes.

What is really disgusting is how the condom might have been used… I mean did someone commit the sin of self-gratification just so he commit such an act??? That is even more disgusting than what he did…

Again, these people don’t know God (holiness)… I hope all the Catholics and other Crhistians are praying for these immature, inconsiderate (etc) people…

I am glad that the Newman Center students and leaders spoke up about this incident, with this letter. The Catholic Church needs to continue speaking up. I want to hear pastors – and bishops – speak up often and effectively when our faith is cavalierly belittled by comedians, talk shows, sit coms, movies, etc.

do you know what gives with Letterman and his jokes about holy water?? I can’t remember the jokes off the top of my head… but he has referred to the holy water in St. Patrick’s Cathedral a few times… makes me wonder if he has a Catholic in his life… trying to convert him (??) or something… :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.