Anti-Catholic Mike Gendron alleges we are killers

Telling the Truth May Get You Killed

As always, the most deceptive propaganda is the stuff that contains some measure of truth. So in this case I am not going to respond to the first 5 paragraphs of Gendron’s propaganda because essentially it’s true. That’s why the church has so many martyrs…even today as with this wonderful 84 year old French priest.

I will however discuss the rest of the attack and I welcome your input as to the historicity of Gendron’s statements.

You know I kind of don’t want to read it because well I’m no fan of Gendron. Some Catholics are killers so are some Muslims and some Buddhists and Hindus and some atheists, and Protestants don’t have their hands clean on this one either. There’s not a people in the world that’s never been wronged or wronged another

During the Counter Reformation, the Roman Catholic religion brutally murdered hundreds of thousands of Christians who had been set free by the truth of God’s Word(John 8:31-32). The gospel of Rome has not only been fatal for those who believed it, but also fatal for those who had the courage to expose it.

As the Reformers were calling people out of their apostate religion, many of them were tortured and burned at the stake by the Jesuits. Tragically, the truths they died defending are now being compromised by evangelicals who are uniting with Rome.

Okay, first, let’s remove all biases whatsoever, either for or against anyone. Historians, regardless of their religion or irreligion, do not look at things directly through biased eyes. (The writer of that, obviously, does.) Now, there were a great many European wars of religion post-Reformation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wars_of_religion

Let us allow for, say, the most infamous and arguably most religious of the wars: the Thirty Years’ War. It lasted for thirty years, so obviously is was long, bloody, and intense.

During the war, Germany’s population was reduced by 30 percent on average; in the territory of Brandenburg, the losses had amounted to half, while in some areas an estimated two thirds of the population died. [Source]

Estimates of civilian casualties of up to thirty percent of the population of Germany are now treated with caution. The mortality rate was perhaps closer to 15 to 20 percent, with deaths due to armed conflict, famine and disease. Much of the destruction of civilian lives and property was caused by the cruelty and greed of mercenary soldiers. It is certain that the war caused serious dislocation to both the economy and population of central Europe, but may have done no more than seriously exacerbate changes that had begun earlier.

From one reliable, secular source, 7 1/2 (seven and a half) million Europeans died in the war [Source]. That makes it the seventeenth most deadly conflict in world history, and it would’ve looked far worse in their day with less of a population and less weaponry. Because many nations were involved, Protestant and Catholic alike, they all died on the field of battle as enemies.

We cannot throw pointless accusations of “Catholics did this!” or “Protestants did this!” Yes, both of the groups committed horrible acts with political goals in mind and used religion as their justification. If you want individual examples, see the Protestant German Peasants’ War (death toll: over 100,000) and the Catholic-led persecutions of French Hugenots .

Luckily, we’re behind those days! Protestants and Catholics can at least be on the same online forums together, right?

From the 7th paragraph:

“The Vatican’s hatred for the profound truth that Jesus Christ died once for all sin for all time has been demonstrated by its blasphemous sacrifice of the Mass. In this abominable tradition, a counterfeit Christ is immolated on an altar as a propitiatory sin offering for the living and the dead.”

This paragraph just bleeds anti-Catholic objections. Hatred, Vatican, blasphemous, tradition, praying for the dead. At least he uses interesting wordage. However, I do wish he would do some actual research on what the Catholic Church teaches regarding this before pronouncing on Catholic beliefs.

The Jews have not been the only religion that have killed God’s people because of the truth.

Haven’t we heard this sort of anti-Semitic stuff before? I suppose that Gendron would also indict St. Paul for his part in the persecution of believers in Acts of the Apostles?

The truth is that we all are the reason for the crucifixion of Christ…

During the Counter Reformation, the Roman Catholic religion brutally murdered hundreds of thousands of Christians who had been set free by the truth of God’s Word (John 8:31-32).

“Hundreds of thousands”? This reminds me of the specious charge that the inquisition killed 50 million. However, the fact is that is impossible since there were not 50 million souls in all of Europe at that time and if true then the entire area would have been denuded of people.

The gospel of Rome has not only been fatal for those who believed it, but also fatal for those who had the courage to expose it. As the Reformers were calling people out of their apostate religion, many of them were tortured and burned at the stake by the Jesuits. Tragically, the truths they died defending are now being compromised by evangelicals who are uniting with Rome.

:yawn: Now we come to specious allegations against the Jesuits.

Here are links to sources that are relevant.

[LIST]
*]The Inquisition
*]The Myth of the Spanish Inquisition
*] How can I defend the Church against the inquisition?
*] An Inquisition Primer
*] Secrets of the Spanish Inquisition Revealed
*] The Inquisition Steve Weidenkopf
*]The Inquisition (Encore) Steve Weidenkopf (Radio Shows)
[/LIST]
One thing that I would like to point out here is something that we frequently encounter in this kind of anti-Catholic propaganda…the allegation without any verifiable citation of documentation. If this was true then there should be links to evidence citations to allow for fact checking, but, as you can see, there is none. And try as I might, my own search turned up no documentation of this allegation. One can find ample similar material all over the internet, but tracking through their sources is either impossible of leads to sources which assert the same or similar allegations, also without any documentation of source.:shrug:

The Vatican’s hatred for the profound truth that Jesus Christ died once for all sin for all time has been demonstrated by its blasphemous sacrifice of the Mass. In this abominable tradition, a counterfeit Christ is immolated on an altar as a propitiatory sin offering for the living and the dead. It grieves me to no end that over one billion faithful Catholics embrace this utter nonsense instead of believing the clear truth of God’s Word (Heb. 10:10-18). Because of religious indoctrination, Catholics are denying and suppressing the truth of God’s Word to their own destruction.

Please take a look at his scripture citation. See also this passage in its context.

Here he goes into a rant against the Mass which no knowledgeable person would accept as true.

Here are links that refute this attack.
The Sacrifice of the Mass
Mass as Sacrifice
Why is the Mass called the “unbloody” sacrifice of our Lord on his cross?
The Sacrifice of the Mass (early church citations)
Is the Mass a Sacrifice?
Is the Mass a True Sacrifice?

For a really superb study of the Mass I strongly recommend Dr. Edward Sri’s book and/or video series A Biblical Walk Through the Mass

People who are woefully deceived by their religion will never know it unless they hear the truth. Their only hope is to be lovingly confronted by Christians who have been entrusted with the truth.** As Ambassadors for Christ, we must proclaim the truth with boldness and courage. We cannot be man-pleasers and servants of Christ at the same time. Sadly, we already have too many man-pleasers who allow the truth to be trampled in the streets in order to be loved by all. We need more God-pleasers who are willing to die for the Gospel that has the power to bring life to those dead in sin. We need to do what Jesus did by refuting error, opposing those who spread it, and contending earnestly for the faith! This means we must strive to be biblically correct instead of politically correct!**

This is a typical allegation by Gendron and so I will simply give you a link to my blog articles that have dealt with his stuff before.
Refuting Mike Gendron’s tract “Are You Being Deceived?”
What’s Wrong with What’s Wrong with Rome’s Sacrifice of the Mass? By Mike Gendron

As you can see his remarks are specious a-C propaganda and his teaching and preaching is not really faithful to the Word of God.

Though as the saying goes, “Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut” and so we Catholics can agree with the bolded portion above. In fact, we could agree to some extent with the first 2 sentences in that we too must be prepared (See 2nd Peter 3:8-17)
Pax domini sit semper vobiscum

Well neither am I. but your response is only marginally relevant. The charge is that the Catholic Church killed people and not individuals who professed Catholicism and acted sinfully. Certainly as with most generalizations we see the flaws.

. Historians, regardless of their religion or irreligion, do not look at things directly through biased eyes. (The writer of that, obviously, does.) Now, there were a great many European wars of religion post-Reformation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wars_of_religion

Let us allow for, say, the most infamous and arguably most religious of the wars: the Thirty Years’ War. It lasted for thirty years, so obviously is was long, bloody, and intense.

From one reliable, secular source, 7 1/2 (seven and a half) million Europeans died in the war [Source]. That makes it the seventeenth most deadly conflict in world history, and it would’ve looked far worse in their day with less of a population and less weaponry. Because many nations were involved, Protestant and Catholic alike, they all died on the field of battle as enemies.

We cannot throw pointless accusations of “Catholics did this!” or “Protestants did this!” Yes, both of the groups committed horrible acts with political goals in mind and used religion as their justification. If you want individual examples, see the Protestant German Peasants’ War (death toll: over 100,000) and the Catholic-led persecutions of French Hugenots .

Luckily, we’re behind those days! Protestants and Catholics can at least be on the same online forums together, right?From one of your own sources…

Although it was ostensibly a religious conflict between Protestants and Catholics, the rivalry between the Habsburg dynasty and other powers was a more central motive, as shown by the fact that Catholic France under the de facto

rule of Cardinal Richelieu supported the Protestant side in order to weaken the Habsburgs, thereby furthering France’s position as the pre-eminent European power. This increased the France-Habsburg rivalry which led later to direct war between France and Spain. The major impact of the Thirty Years’ War, in which mercenary armies were extensively used, was the devastation of entire regions scavenged bare by the foraging armies.Moreover, rehashing the violence and persecutions on both sides serves no good end since my own Irish ancestors were persecuted for their Catholic faith and even after many of us Irish came to America we faced prejudice and persecution here as well. No one wants to talk about the Know Nothings so let’s just not go there.

The important thing is to examine what this a-C propagandist has put forth and see if it’s historically accurate. I submit that it is not.

Keep in mind that he alleges that he was a Catholic.

http://www.pro-gospel.org/home/180014816/180014816/images/mike2011.jpg
For over 34 years, Evangelist Mike Gendron was a devout Roman Catholic and a strong defender of the “one true church.” He was taught from a very early age, to trust and rely on the church, its priests, the sacraments and his own good works for salvation. However in 1981 while attending an evangelical seminar, he realized the Bible is the supreme authority for knowing truth. His new excitement and hunger for the inspired word of God led him to help organize the very first *Little Rock Scripture Study *at a Catholic Church in Dallas. Mike soon realized that many of the teachings and traditions of the Catholic religion were not found in the Bible. After more study he discovered the Roman Catholic plan of salvation was diametrically opposed to the Gospel of grace revealed in the Bible. This lead to a crisis of faith. Should he trust Christ and His Word or the teachings and traditions of his religion? He knew he could not believe both. God granted him repentance and he exchanged his religion for a relationship with His all-sufficient Savior. After discerning that God seeks worshippers in spirit and truth, Mike left the Catholic Church in 1985 for a church where the true Gospel is proclaimed and Scripture is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice.

In 1988 he left a successful career in corporate management to study at Dallas Theological Seminary. Four years later, during his last semester at DTS, Mike and his wife Jane’s love for Catholics inspired them to begin a ministry that would point Catholics to the Lord Jesus Christ as their all sufficient Savior. Their hearts are now burdened for those who may be where they were for most of their life - eternally condemned and not even aware of it.

Based upon the wide variety of ignorant and specious a-C remarks he makes one has to wonder about his actual knowledge of Catholicism. I mean I was ignorant until I reverted, but I was never anywhere near as far afield as this guy.

Is it wise to waste one’s time reading such nonsense on the internet?

:thumbsup:

Nowadays, I just stay away from such stuff.

Especially in today’s climate, where many Catholics are saying worse things than Gendron. :(:frowning:

This was my first thought when I read the article. But Gendron’s message is obviously only meant for blind cattle that will follow without a thought of their own.

Mike and his wife Jane’s love for Catholics inspired them to begin a ministry that would point Catholics to the Lord Jesus Christ as their all sufficient Savior. Their hearts are now burdened for those who may be where they were for most of their life - eternally condemned and not even aware of it.

If he loves Catholics so much and cares for their salvation, why is it all the speaking events I saw on his page were at Baptist churches/seminaries? It just seems like that would only serve to spread propaganda and pat themselves on the back for having it “right”.

I think what disturbs me the most is that he has speaking events and people actually want him to talk to their congregations. One of those was in a city I used to live in. Lord have mercy.

It seems to me that Mikey is running out of things to say so he’s starting to regurgitate some old stuff. The mean old Jesuits…where did I hear that before?

That is your prerogative. However, Catholics run into similar stuff and need to see responses that answer well. If anyone chooses not to then why even post on a thread like this?:shrug:

I haven’t seen any such comments and I have not done so myself. This guy gets paid to propagate this sort of a-C polemics and has made it his life’s work. If a true response is not important then why does Catholic Answers exist? This forum is for Apologetics and part of that is to examine and counter the ignorance and misinformation put forth by men like Gendron and many others. These individuals prey upon Catholics and use this sort rubbish to proselytize our brothers and sisters (and our children) away from the faith.

:thumbsup: There are many people, both Catholic and non that don’t know better. Catholics who do need to step up and help them get the facts so they can decide for themselves. This sort of deception has only one source…

Don’t kid yourself. This guy and his wife and members of his congregation routinely enter Catholic churches and leave their a-C tracts and literature around and have even accosted Catholics in the parking lot as they leave Mass. (Midnight Mass no less IIRC) He didn’t handle a Catholic response very well.
Mike Gendron & GLC get a dose of counter evangelism (and don’t like it)

I think what disturbs me the most is that he has speaking events and people actually want him to talk to their congregations. One of those was in a city I used to live in. Lord have mercy.

:amen: That’s how he makes his living…

I have noticed that as well which is why I don’t post on his stuff quite as much as I used to. I find that many of his e-newsletters are just things that I have already answered and so there’s no need to respond. Still every month he cranks out another one and he continues to “teach” at Dallas Theological Seminary and speak at WorldView Weekend for Brannon Howse.

One of the things that also concerns me is his often out of context scriptures that are twisted to mean something other than what they say in context.

In this particular instance his scriptures do tie in well with the notion of persecution, but the remainder of his article is essentially an a-C tirade that has very little basis in fact and offers no source documentation. This is a pretty common propaganda trick that we see in context of both religion and politics.

If one wants to reflect on persecution there are better sources, such as Two kinds of persecution (12 April 2016) | Francis

Apologies if I didn’t make my meaning very clear. :blush:

I was certainly not accusing you (for whom I have the utmost respect :thumbsup:) or any other Catholic apologist of making such comments about Protestants or Evangelicals.

Rather, I was alluding to the fact that (especially since Pope Benedict resigned and Pope Francis took over) there is a disturbing strain of “Catholic blogging and apologetics” whose main talking points are alarmingly similar to Gendron or even to Jack Chick.

Here’s a quick quiz. Which of these statements were made by Catholic bloggers rather than Gendron, James White or Jack Chick?

1. Pope Francis wants to form a new religion called Chrislam.
  2. Pope Francis is moving the church towards a New World Order.
  3. The Pope is a false leader and a heretic.
  4. The Pope is an enabler and protector of homosexuals.
  5. The Pope wants to destroy traditional marriage and the family.
  6. The Pope is forming an alliance with Obama and Muslims to destroy true Christianity
  7. The current Pope, Bishops and priests are all invalid ministers of Christ

Answer: all of them. In fact, I’m paraphrasing and editing out vulgar or crude language.

Some like-minded folks have even posted statements similar to the above on this forum (and got banned for it, thank God.)

With “friends” like these, I find it hard to get too worked up about Gendron. At least he has the excuse of being a fallen-away Catholic who is trying to square his apostasy with his conscience. These others claim to be “true Catholics”, and have no excuse. :(:eek:

I’ve seen this on some, uh… Catholic schismatic sites for ultra-traditionalists. I won’t mention who they are, though I’m sure Catholics can figure that out (it’s a banned topic, or at least an underground topic).

Please return to topic which is the article post by Church Militant and not what other Catholics might be posting on their blogs.
Thanks and God bless.***

My apologies. :blush:

Sticking to the topic, though, one wonders: what is the source of Gendron’s animosity towards the Jesuits? They came on to the picture far later than the Inquisition, and they have even had their own problems with politics (leading to their temporary suppression). Is he just sore about how effective they were during the Counter-Reformation, or is he just regurgitating Jack Chick’s more bizarre ideas? :stuck_out_tongue:

For many of the more conspiracy theory-leaning Protestants, if the Vatican is more or less the New World Order, then the Jesuits are kind of like the “secret police.” Supposedly, they were responsible for the assassination of President Kennedy (JFK) because he said that he would rather run the United States by the Constitution than by canon law.

Of course, this follows, there are all kinds of things. If this is actually what Gendron’s eschatology-conspiracy is founded on with the Vatican, we can easily dismiss anything we might find the slightest inaccuracy in or to be slightly objectionable.

You might take note that Gendron is a regular in Brannon Howse’ Worldview Weekend | The World’s Premier Biblical Worldview

When it comes to a-C conspiracy types you have a hard time finding a better example than The Nightmare World of Jack T. Chick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.