Anti Catholic Newspaper Article

This article appeared in one of Pittsburgh’s largest papers. I just wanted some reaction to it for I know nothing about their accusations. The article attacks the church as being a political machine, especially in terms of abortion and immigration.

pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/columnists/guests/print_422285.html

Write a letter to the editor.

And I thought the “Know Nothings” died off in the early 60’s. This guy is probably watching over his shoulder for the black helicoptor with the papal Crest. And the three leaders of NARAL all brought up Catholic? Maybe their parents were Catholic but they must have really lost it somewhere along the way. I guess maybe the saying" once a Catholic, always a Catholic" is not true.

Peace be with you!

Yeah, didn’t you guys know that having four Catholics on the Supreme Court is a Vatican plot to take over the USA?:rolleyes:

In Christ,
Rand

I didn’t read much of it, but the obvious motive was to accuse the church of trying to amass political power for the purpose of thwarting abortion.

It is typical pro-choice, pro-liberal unsubstantiated accusations stemming from paranoia.

Thal59

[quote=Thal59]I didn’t read much of it, but the obvious motive was to accuse the church of trying to amass political power for the purpose of thwarting abortion.

It is typical pro-choice, pro-liberal unsubstantiated accusations stemming from paranoia.

Thal59
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

True, true, true. You know, along the lines of typical pro-abortion arguments, I have backed every one of my critics into a corner on another online forum in an abortion debate. They simply have no answer for me other than repeating “it’s not a human/person”. And this is after I have repeated time and time again that there isn’t a science book in the world that says life begins anywhere other than at conception and the even Planned Parenthood and NARAL have admitted that now. No one has answered that yet. Gotta love being pro-life and having all the right answers!

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=djs1079]This article appeared in one of Pittsburgh’s largest papers. I just wanted some reaction to it for I know nothing about their accusations. The article attacks the church as being a political machine, especially in terms of abortion and immigration.

pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/opinion/columnists/guests/print_422285.html

[/quote]

If the Bishops started a campiagn in 1975 to overturn Roe V wade I wish they would have shared this with pro-abortion Catholic politicians

[quote=estesbob]If the Bishops started a campiagn in 1975 to overturn Roe V wade I wish they would have shared this with pro-abortion Catholic politicians
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

Well, as Janet Folger said in her talk that I went and saw twice in the same day (once at Portland State, once at Univ. of Portland), the time is soon coming when we will see Roe v. Wade overturned. I believe her.

In Christ,
Rand

Why not put it to a vote? Isn’t this a Democracy? If America likes killing their children so much, they should say so with a vote.
Roe V. Wade is horrible. The woman who the case was about is now an ardent pro-lifer. The original abortion rights people were racist people who wanted population control. This man is likely a Protestant who fears the masses of Catholics coming into the country. The early Americans felt the same way, and guess what? They used the same fear propaganda as this man (Vatican taking over America). So now racists, feminists, gays, Protestants and general liberals are all united under one tent: the Anti Catholic tent. Read “The New Anti Catholicism” by Philip Jenkins. Don’t get too upset thoug. The Church will prevail. We need more modern Saints! Pray for them. Become them!
Patrick Brown

[quote=estesbob]If the Bishops started a campiagn in 1975 to overturn Roe V wade I wish they would have shared this with pro-abortion Catholic politicians
[/quote]

OF course the catholic church is so powerful that 30 years later the abortion laws have gotten even more permissive extending to partial birth abortion and Roe V Wade is still law.

Originally posted by cestusdei.

Write a letter to the editor.

Any good ideas for a letter? I’m not familar with the documents he’s quoting, though I’m sure he is twisting them around.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

Well, as Janet Folger said in her talk that I went and saw twice in the same day (once at Portland State, once at Univ. of Portland), the time is soon coming when we will see Roe v. Wade overturned. I believe her.

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

I agree with her. HAD the Ameircan Catholic Bishops made it clear to politicians from day one that you could not support abortion and call yourself a Catholic I believe it would have been overturned a long time ago. A generation of catholics thought it was OK to vote for pro-abprtion Catholics becuase they saw how the Church embraced the likes of Ted Kemmedy. Thus we got liberal catholic politicians and liberal judges. Roe V Wade would be dead if supposedly Catholic Ted Kennedy had not blocked the confirmation of Robert Bork

I wouldn’t be too upset about the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Remember it is the famous “conservative rag” that Teresa Heinz-Kerry was so upset about during the 2004 elections? I’m originally from Pittsburgh and subscribed to the Trib until December when we moved.

The owner of the paper is Richard Mellon Scaife, a Catholic. He regularly donates to Catholic charities. For instance:

forrelease.com/D20050114/clf059.P2.01142005172327.29163.html

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]They simply have no answer for me other than repeating “it’s not a human/person”.
[/quote]

Something I saw or heard somewhere came to mind when I read this, namely:

“If it’s not a baby, then she’s not pregnant.”

(This, of course, is in reference to the tendency of pro-abortion types to refer to the fetus as “a blob of tissue.”)

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.