Anti-Catholic slide show found in MSNBC

If you look at this article with Pope Benedict XVI, on you the right you will a Slide Show showing Papal Decrees. I had to say all four cartoons are very much Anti-Catholic.

msnbc.msn.com/id/21755594/

Take a look for yourself.

Is this much of a surprise? The modern pagan American sees God as a universal spirit whom accepts all religions and ideas equally. Except the really icky ones like fascism and stuff.

The problem is millions of online viewers will see this, and get misconception about the Pope and the Catholic Church in general. Is there an email I can contact MSNBC to issue a complain?

I just looked at the papal decree…that is horrible!

Do you think they would have something like that posted about any other faith? No!

I encourage everyone to email MSNBC and complain about these “cartoons”.

The email address is letters@msnbc.com. Put “Picture Stories ( ss_070724_popechurches )” in the subject line of the email.

Or

When you open up the slide show on thier website you will see “write us” on the lower right side of the pop-up window. Select that and it will fill-out an email for you per the above.

I rarely see any comic disrespecting Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, or Jew.

I’m writing to them now. I’m offended completely.

I just sent my email. They would have never gotten away with this with any other religion.
JeanneH

Sent my email too. Told them I would stop watching MSNBC until they issue an apology.

I thought the news was supposed to be balanced. If they’re going to post four editorial cartoons, they should have two that state the other side. At least, that’s what they *should *do–I hardly expect the mainstream media to be balanced.

Does anybody remember an editorial cartoon that showed both Clinton and JPII? In the first frame, a thrilled Bill Clinton was saying something like, “I can’t believe I shook the pope’s hand! I’ll never wash this hand again!” In the second frame, JPII is washing his hands in a sink full of suds.

In another cartoon, a desperate Uncle Sam is bemoaning, “Racism! Suspicion! Hatred! Polarization! What is the answer?!?!?!?” In the second frame, Pope John Paul is knocking at his door.

Just thought I’d throw those in to provide some of the balance NBC can’t be bothered with.

I just sent them this:
MSNBC,
I just want to make you aware that I consider your Papal Decree slide show a misrepresentation of Catholic teaching and grossly offensive to Catholics. I personally would appreciate its removal from your site about the pope’s upcoming visit to the U.S.

If you insist on publishing derogatory cartoons about the pope and the Catholic faith when you would not dare to publish such trash concerning Muslims, blacks, or even Mormons, (since I note that one of the published cartoons is from a Salt Lake City Utah paper) then I and my family and friends will go out of our way not to support those who advertise on your site or stations.

With the economy as shaky as it is and the retail season in some doubt, I suspect that they will think twice before advertising with you in the future.

I will pass this message on to all my friends and relatives, you can count upon that.
Mike in Florida

[size=3]Create your own or copy my text and send it right away and copy it to all your Catholic friends and family.
[/size]

To Whom It May Concern,

It has come to my attention that four Anti-Catholic Cartoons. The first one depicts the Pope and Jesus. The cartoonist quote Matthew 18:20 and had the Pope say, “Correction. Where two, or three Catholics are gathered…” with note on his hand, Papal Decree. This is a distortion of facts.

The Catholic Church affirms the message of Matthew 18:20. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states;

CCC 1088 “To accomplish so great a work” - the dispensation or communication of his work of salvation - “Christ is always present in his Church, especially in her liturgical celebrations. He is present in the Sacrifice of the Mass not only in the person of his minister, ‘the same now offering, through the ministry of priests, who formerly offered himself on the cross,’ but especially in the Eucharistic species. By his power he is present in the sacraments so that when anybody baptizes, it is really Christ himself who baptizes. He is present in his word since it is he himself who speaks when the holy Scriptures are read in the Church. Lastly, he is present when the Church prays and sings, for he has promised 'where two or three are gathered together in my name there am I in the midst of them.”

It is apparent the cartoonist is ignorant of Catholic Church teachings.

The Second image is just as bad. It depicts the Pope at the Pearly Gates, I presumed this Pope is Pope Benedict XVI or John Paul II. There St. Peter is apparently talking to God on a cell phone. St. Peter said, “He claims to be your bouncer.” Well, I think this is very much Anti-Catholic. Since when the Pope is a bouncer. The Pope is uphold the essential truths which God has given his Church. Jesus build his Church upon Peter see Matthew 16:18. The Pope is the successor of Peter. The writings of the Early Church Fathers adhere this to be true.

((continue))

The third cartoon depicts Pope Benedict XVI wearing a boxing gloves, and have his arms raise up with the words saying, “I AM THE GREATEST.” on the background, it depicts a Protestant minister holding the Bible and have him say, “When did trash talking become a Christian thing?”

First all of, Pope Benedict XVI has never claimed to be greatest. He in fact didn’t want to be the Pope, but he accepted his office when he was elected. He is very humble and orthodox in his views.

The fourth cartoon depicting Pope Benedict XVI sitting on God, the Father lap, and the Pope declares, the “God is Catholic.” God is neither Catholic, Protestant, or Jew. God is God. He is immutable. However, the Word of God, who became flesh, did established a Church. Jesus Christ bear four marks the Church is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

The Church is One:

866 The Church is one: she acknowledges one Lord, confesses one faith, is born of one Baptism, forms only one Body, is given life by the one Spirit, for the sake of one hope (cf. Eph 4:3-5), at whose fulfillment all divisions will be overcome.

The Church is Holy:

867 The Church is holy: the Most Holy God is her author; Christ, her bridegroom, gave himself up to make her holy; the Spirit of holiness gives her life. Since she still includes sinners, she is “the sinless one made up of sinners.” Her holiness shines in the saints; in Mary she is already all-holy.

The Church is Catholic:

868 The Church is catholic: she proclaims the fullness of the faith. She bears in herself and administers the totality of the means of salvation. She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is “missionary of her very nature” (AG 2).

The Church is Apostolic:

869 The Church is apostolic. She is built on a lasting foundation: “the twelve apostles of the Lamb” (Rev 21:14). She is indestructible (cf. Mt 16:18). She is upheld infallibly in the truth: Christ governs her through Peter and the other apostles, who are present in their successors, the Pope and the college of bishops.

“The sole Church of Christ which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, . . . subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him. Nevertheless, many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside its visible confines”

The source of this information is the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Jesus established One Church. It was Catholic before the East-West Schism (1054), and it was Catholic before Protestantism (1520).

St. Ignatius of Antioch in 107-110 AD wrote this:

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.

St. Ignatius is the disciple of St. John, the Apostle and was taught by him. Instead of posting Anti-Catholic material on your website. You ought to show more politically correct image of the Catholic Church instead of bashing it.

I am a US Army Soldier, and a devout Catholic. I am deeply offended by those Cartoon. I request that you remove the cartoon effective immediately.

[SIGN]***:thumbsup: Emmanuel!***[/SIGN]

I sent in my message too. Shame on them…

:blush:

Yes. e-mail them at letters@msnbc.com. I already have. I am urging everyone, Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox, please e-mail them and complain against these vile, discriminatory, childish, mischaracterizing cartoons.

In looking at those comics, I’m not so much “offended” as just embarrassed for whoever did them. It’s like listening to Beavis and Butthead make fun of you.

I pray that someone who might have believed the lies these cartoons asserted might stumble across the truth, or maybe out of curiosity that they research for instance if Catholics really understand Matthew 18:20 like that…and that they have an epiphany. :slight_smile:

I never engage in this sort of bulk letter to companies because I am convinced that they could care less. At least I never have until now. This one was way over the top. My letter is sent. I still don’t think MSNBC gives a rip.

sent.

They will either disregard the email message completely. We could take it the Catholic League…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.