Anti-Catholic websites

I see a lot of people here on the forums get scared and worried when they see an anti-Catholic website out there and they come here to ask what everyone thinks about it.

When I first started coming to the church, I would search for anti-catholic sites so I could compare what they said the church teaches and what the church actually teaches. Now they just make me mad for the most part because 99.9% of the “proof” on these sites has a foundation on sand and the 0.1% that has a firm foundation, has the foundation because it is a half-truth about the church.

My wish would be that we all just stay away from them. If we come across a site that is anti-Catholic, please just close the window or leave the site. As a convert coming into the church, I admit I am overwhelmed by the amount of cradle Catholics that get freaked out over anything a protestant says Catholics do because they don’t know their own faith.

I pray every Catholic, cradle or convert will seek knowledge in the faith and not just be satisfied knowing the bare minimum.

I in no way mean anyone on this site falls into line with those above, because whether you are here as a protestant or catholic, that shows in itself that you are seeking further information.

Thank you

What should be done with anti-protestant Christian sites? Such as those saying “The Catholic Church is the only one” or any comment stating protestants are lost?

Should we close them or always look for further truth in Jesus’ name. If the later, how would anyone ever come to the Catholic Church using such logic?

Thanks
Yes I’m a newbie and will have a lot of logic questions while I search for truth.

[quote=eaglesfeather]What should be done with anti-protestant Christian sites? Such as those saying “The Catholic Church is the only one” or any comment stating protestants are lost?

Should we close them or always look for further truth in Jesus’ name. If the later, how would anyone ever come to the Catholic Church using such logic?

Thanks
Yes I’m a newbie and will have a lot of logic questions while I search for truth.
[/quote]

well, Catholics who say protestants are lost, are not well versed in
their own faith…

finding the truth is always important… i am constantly comparing
and searching…

and i’m still here…

if you are a logical person, then you will probably end up
finding a lot you will like about the Catholic church… it
just makes sense…

:slight_smile:

[quote=eaglesfeather]What should be done with anti-protestant Christian sites? Such as those saying “The Catholic Church is the only one” or any comment stating protestants are lost?

Thanks
[/quote]

Hello eaglesteather;

Welcome to the forums.

Three points:

(1) The Catholic Church does not profess to be the *only * christian church. It professes that it is the only Church where the fullness of the Gospel is taught. Other christian churches may have varying degrees of truth in their doctrine, depending upon how far they diverge from the truth of the Catholic Church.

Generally speaking, Catholics look upon non-catholic christians as our separated brothers and sisters in Christ. We do not condemn them outright for their beliefs although we do see that there are serious differences in doctrine that raise serious implications touching upon issues as serious as salvation.

This is a far cry, however, from what “anti-Catholic” sites declare. Setting aside those sites that affirmatively state their beliefs - and of which I have no objection, an anti-Catholic site sets forth - in the negative - why Catholics are “not saved” or “not real christians” or “pagans.” It is one thing to profess what you believe. It is quite another thing to attack another person for what they believe. What makes the situation more repugnant in the context of anti-Catholic sites is that they mischaracterize Catholic doctrines - taking issues well out of context - for the sole purpose of driving individuals out of the Church.

To the extent there are Catholic sites out there that are “anti-Protestant” because proclaim one must be a practicing Roman Catholic to be “saved” = those sites are not teaching doctrine that is in accord with the Church. I would avoid them as well.

(2) Regarding your search on this forum… may you look with an unbiased eye, and find the rs that you seek.

(3) Regarding your implication that Catholic belief is contrary to logic … to which belief(s) do you refer. Be specific and if there are many I would recommend starting a new thread for each specific issue.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church is the only one.

People who say all Protestants are lost are judging the state of their souls, something we are prohibited from doing.

[quote=Robert in SD]Hello eaglesteather;

Welcome to the forums.

Three points:

(1) The Catholic Church does not profess to be the *only * christian church. It professes that it is the only Church where the fullness of the Gospel is taught. Other christian churches may have varying degrees of truth in their doctrine, depending upon how far they diverge from the truth of the Catholic Church.

Generally speaking, Catholics look upon non-catholic christians as our separated brothers and sisters in Christ. We do not condemn them outright for their beliefs although we do see that there are serious differences in doctrine that raise serious implications touching upon issues as serious as salvation.

This is a far cry, however, from what “anti-Catholic” sites declare. Setting aside those sites that affirmatively state their beliefs - and of which I have no objection, an anti-Catholic site sets forth - in the negative - why Catholics are “not saved” or “not real christians” or “pagans.” It is one thing to profess what you believe. It is quite another thing to attack another person for what they believe. What makes the situation more repugnant in the context of anti-Catholic sites is that they mischaracterize Catholic doctrines - taking issues well out of context - for the sole purpose of driving individuals out of the Church.

To the extent there are Catholic sites out there that are “anti-Protestant” because proclaim one must be a practicing Roman Catholic to be “saved” = those sites are not teaching doctrine that is in accord with the Church. I would avoid them as well.

(2) Regarding your search on this forum… may you look with an unbiased eye, and find the rs that you seek.

(3) Regarding your implication that Catholic belief is contrary to logic … to which belief(s) do you refer. Be specific and if there are many I would recommend starting a new thread for each specific issue.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. You already corrected some of my perceptions about Catholic beliefs. The problem is all of the mixed responses I’ve had before now (elsewhere). I keep thinking I know the official Catholic stance and reasoning on something to only find that it was opinionated by the teller.

I might have said it poorly, but wasn’t trying to say any belief was not logical except if there be a belief that one should not seek logic. I’m seeking logic now and hope to mend my ignorance of the Catholic Church. I’m only here to learn. I pray hard that God will keep my eye unbiased.

Thanks

[quote=Genesis315]The Catholic Church is the only one.

[/quote]

How official is this statement? Is it opinionated? This is my first hour here and have mixed stated beliefs of one Church.

I don’t expect in-depth explanation causing this to go way off, but maybe more info to solidify what you mean. Is it the only church of God and Christ? Define church.

Thanks

[quote=eaglesfeather]How official is this statement? Is it opinionated? This is my first hour here and have mixed stated beliefs of one Church.

I don’t expect in-depth explanation causing this to go way off, but maybe more info to solidify what you mean. Is it the only church of God and Christ? Define church.

Thanks
[/quote]

for Genesis315, and for me, the Catholic church is the only
church, because we are Catholic, but for someone who is not,
it’s not necessarily the only church…

we believe it is for us, because we believe we have shared in
the fullness of truth, and once that has happened, we are bound
to remain in communion with that fullness… to deny any part
of it, would be to deny what we have accepted as truth…

for one who has never accepted that fullness, then they can
still be saved, they can still benefit from Jesus’ forgiveness…
they can still go to heaven… but, there are blessings we
receive as Catholics, that a nonCatholic can’t really understand…

least, that’s the way i see it… and i’ve seen it from both sides…

[quote=johnshelby]for Genesis315, and for me, the Catholic church is the only
church, because we are Catholic, but for someone who is not,
it’s not necessarily the only church…

we believe it is for us, because we believe we have shared in
the fullness of truth, and once that has happened, we are bound
to remain in communion with that fullness… to deny any part
of it, would be to deny what we have accepted as truth…

for one who has never accepted that fullness, then they can
still be saved, they can still benefit from Jesus’ forgiveness…
they can still go to heaven… but, there are blessings we
receive as Catholics, that a nonCatholic can’t really understand…

least, that’s the way i see it… and i’ve seen it from both sides…

[/quote]

Thanks John. See, that’s why I have been so frustrated in the past I guess. I take statements to heart sometimes when I shouldn’t. With what you have said I truly want to learn more and will in the coming weeks. I have been spiritually blessed beyond my own explanation since I started seeking God with all my heart. My only question now is “Am I missing anything?” so I’m here to find the blessings you speak of. I’m guessing it will take a lot of study.

Thanks

[quote=eaglesfeather]Thanks John. See, that’s why I have been so frustrated in the past I guess. I take statements to heart sometimes when I shouldn’t. With what you have said I truly want to learn more and will in the coming weeks. I have been spiritually blessed beyond my own explanation since I started seeking God with all my heart. My only question now is “Am I missing anything?” so I’m here to find the blessings you speak of. I’m guessing it will take a lot of study.

Thanks
[/quote]

one of the best things i can think of, to learn in simple terms,
and quickly, the basis of truth of the Catholic church, is
RCIA… they have a set of booklets called… Journey of Faith…

if you know of a Catholic church in your area, i’m sure the priest
would be happy to provide you with a copy… i believe it will
change the way you think of the Catholic church…

:slight_smile: God bless your journey…

[quote=eaglesfeather]Thanks for your reply. You already corrected some of my perceptions about Catholic beliefs. The problem is all of the mixed responses I’ve had before now (elsewhere). I keep thinking I know the official Catholic stance and reasoning on something to only find that it was opinionated by the teller.

I might have said it poorly, but wasn’t trying to say any belief was not logical except if there be a belief that one should not seek logic. I’m seeking logic now and hope to mend my ignorance of the Catholic Church. I’m only here to learn. I pray hard that God will keep my eye unbiased.

Thanks
[/quote]

Dear Eaglesfeather;

You’re very welcome. Faith and reason are not mutually exclusive. In fact, quite the opposite is true.

I suggest that if you want to learn the Church’s official teachings one of the best places to start is with the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Paperback versions of the CCC are available at most book stores for about $9.00. You can also access the CCC online for free at:

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Another great online source for Catholic doctrine is the New Advent website - with a searchable Catholic Encyclopedia and many other links. The web site is:

newadvent.com/

You will hear lots of different opinions from individual Catholics, but for certainty’s sake, the best place to go for information is a trusted source like the CCC or the Catholic Encyclopedia - which provides citation to the Scriptures and other source materials.

One final note… The Vatican’s website is also available in English at the following website:

vatican.va/phome_en.htm

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

eaglesfeather,
As Robert suggested, the Catechism of the Catholic Church is the place to find true, solid Catholic teaching from the source, the Catholic Church. You cannot go wrong if you refer to it or check the accurcy of any statement by a catholic or non-Catholic, here or elsewhere, against it.
If you want to check it out before you buy it, it is on the Vatican web site at

www.vatican.va

or the United States Confernece of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) at

www.uccb.org

Always check statements about what Catholics believe against
the Catechism.

I agree with what you said–that we just stay away from them. I made it a point to not go to any anti-Catholic site. One, I am not a theologian; I don’t have all the answers to all their points, and one can easily fall into their explanation if one does not know what the Church actually teaches. Two, there’s simply no point to it. So I read good Catholic books, where there you will find what is truly being taught. Of course, if one is quite knowledgeable in what the Church teaches, going to such sites to compare them with what the Church really is might be good, but we can answer their arguments without necessarily going to their sites.

I use anti-Catholic sites to prepare for my discussions with Protestants. I don’t get caught by surprise when I’ve seen the lies in advance on their sites.

JMJ

Well, I cheat now, lol. John Martignoni at www.biblechristiansociety.com has pretty much done all the work on the most common subjects for us. He has many free tapes or cd’s to help as well. You might want to at least go there and get his “intro to Apologetics” cd. He teaches you how to go at people who attack the faith. One of the most awesome things he has suggested is throwing all the questions back on them. He is right when he says that the Protestants are the ones that have something to prove, not us, we didn’t leave them, they left us.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.