Anti-Catholicism - A religion for some?

Has anyone else noticed that anti-Catholicism has become a religion of its own for some non-Catholic Christians? Have you also noticed that some churches spend an inordinate amount of time attacking the Catholic faith rather than preaching about Christ? What is the explanation for this misdirected emphasis?

[quote=Eden]Has anyone else noticed that anti-Catholicism has become a religion of its own for some non-Catholic Christians? Have you also noticed that some churches spend an inordinate amount of time attacking the Catholic faith rather than preaching about Christ? What is the explanation for this misdirected emphasis?
[/quote]

Good Day, Eden

I am a non Roman Catholic and disagree with much of what Rome claims to be truth… even though it may be truth to them.

So, am I anti- catholic in the religous sense? Define what anti- catholic means to you.

Peace to u,

Bill

[quote=bbas 64]Good Day, Eden

I am a non Roman Catholic and disagree with much of what Rome claims to be truth… even though it may be truth to them.

So, am I anti- catholic in the religous sense? Define what anti- catholic means to you.

Peace to u,

Bill
[/quote]

I think what he means is having a church service built around discussing who will go to Hades and using Catholics as the prime example of whom those folks might be…

I personally heard a church service over the radio, and they were discussing how Pope John Paul II was possibly the anti-christ, and if he weren’t he was an example of an anti-christ…and they used Hitler as another example

I’m not speaking for Eden here, but here’s my :twocents:

.There is a big difference between non-Catholic and anti-Catholic.

To me, anti-Catholics are those who devote a great deal to time to convincing the rest of the world that the Catholic religion is the “whore of babylon” and all that nonsense. Take a look at some of the websites out there. And chick tracts. ugh. That’s what I refer to when I say “anti-Catholic”.

[quote=bbas 64]Good Day, Eden

Peace to u,

Bill
[/quote]

I mean anti-Catholic as in “against Catholic” vs. non-Catholic meaning “not Catholic”. Do you see the distinction that I am making? From many posts here, I have heard that sermons in Southern Baptist churches and Evangelicals, for instance, rail against Catholics quite frequently in their services. What is the purpose of using the pulpit to attack Catholicism when it should be used to promote Jesus? There are definitely some people for whom anti-Catholicism gets as much devotion as does Jesus (if not more devotion than Jesus!) That’s why I referred to it as a possible “religion” in its own right.

Interesting thought. I know some members of my own family who have no “religion”; attend no church. They are very vocal and faithful though about attacking my Catholic beliefs and denigrating my Church.

Ian Paisley, Bob Jones, and Jack Chick. Not to mention Lorraine Boettner. Read some of their phiosophies. Skeeery stuff, I tell ya!

Dave Armstrong has delt extensively with the term “anti-Catholic” in several dialogs: Here Scroll down to “Definitional and Terminological Controversies”

To put it simply, the questions are:

Do you think the Catholic Church is a Christian denomination, as worthy of the term Christian as Protestant denominations are?

Can a Catholic be saved if they accept all Catholic teachings?

A “no” answer to either question indicates anti-Catholicism.

Scott

These are all great examples. I wonder if these people (Paisley, Chick, White, etc.) have time to pray when they are so busy with their books, cartoons, speeches, blogs, etc. Maybe it begins, “Dear God, I’ve been so busy drawing anti-Catholic cartoons today that I haven’t had a chance to think of you until now…”

Thanks Scott! I pasted part of Dave Armstrong’s page on anti-Catholicism here: [Note: after long experience with Tim (note the many attempted “dialogues” below) and much thought, I have decided to place him in the category of “anti-Catholic”, on the same grounds that I put Luther and Calvin there (I describe this position sometimes as “quasi-anti-Catholicism”). When pressed, all three would acknowledge on an extreme minimalist basis, that some vestige of apostolic, biblical Christianity remains in Catholicism, but other than that, they are virtually indistinguishable in their constant rhetoric and polemic, blasting the Church. A certain, hostile, irrational, anti-ecumenical, “more theologically correct than thou”, bigoted spirit – including, notoriously and very often, sheer personal attacks and calumnies – characterizes these folks, **who seem to live to oppose the Catholic Church, no matter what, regardless of how many times they have been corrected on matters of fact and theology]

My family is Southern Baptist. I am now Catholic.

My family’s church had a Bible study group that taught them how to defend their faith. Quess what??? The whole bases of the class was focused on how Catholics were mislead, and wrong. Also, how Catholicism contradicted the Bible in almost all it’s teachings.

Boy, did I get to hear all about it.

[quote=Jennie]My family is Southern Baptist. I am now Catholic.

My family’s church had a Bible study group that taught them how to defend their faith. Quess what??? The whole bases of the class was focused on how Catholics were mislead, and wrong. Also, how Catholicism contradicted the Bible in almost all it’s teachings.

[/quote]

So let me get this straight…the way to defend the Southern Baptist faith is to attack Catholics? Wow. That’s great stuff.

Anti-Catholics, anti-Semites, ect. are all class one losers. Anyone who dedicates their life to attacking Catholicism and Judaism (just the two prime examples I’m using) has no life at all.

[quote=catsrus]Interesting thought. I know some members of my own family who have no “religion”; attend no church. They are very vocal and faithful though about attacking my Catholic beliefs and denigrating my Church.
[/quote]

This is another dimension of how “anti-Catholicism” can become a religion. Even someone who does not claim to be “Christian” but expends time and energy attacking the Catholic faith could be said to “religiously” devote themselves to “anti-Catholicism”.

If we use this definition of religion, “An organized system of belief that generally seeks to understand purpose, meaning, goals, and methods of spiritual things. These spiritual things can be God, people in relation to God, salvation, after life, purpose of life, order of the cosmos, etc.” we could say that anti-Catholicism as religion seeks to understand purpose, meaning, goals and methods of spiritual things through refuting Catholicism so that refutation of all things Catholic becomes the central feature of the faith vs. praising God or Jesus Christ.

[quote=Jennie]My family is Southern Baptist. I am now Catholic.

[/quote]

These kinds of posts about Southern Baptists (and also Evangelicals) are exactly what started me thinking about the time and energy that some “Christian” churches devote to attacking our Church. Their religion becomes negatively focused on Catholicism to the detriment of Christianity to the point that you have to wonder, “What is their religion all about? Christ or anti-Catholicism?”

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]So let me get this straight…the way to defend the Southern Baptist faith is to attack Catholics? Wow. That’s great stuff.

[/quote]

Yes, this is true. By them pointing out and convencing themselves and others that Catholicism is wrong, this justifies that they must be right.

I was shocked to hear about some of the weird beliefs they were teaching each other about OUR faith.

Offense is never a defense. You don’t defend anything or anybody by making the first move. And certainly you don’t practice defense by making the first move on a wrong opponent.

I might have to add another member of an all class one losers - anti-muslims too.

It was certainly wrong to say the Baptists are defending when they are attacking the church. They are not defenders. They are offenders.

These have been all prophecised in the scriptures. The false religions and prophets…the persecution of the church…

To people who read the scriptures like the Baptists, they should know better that the church being persecuted, is the one and only church Christ founded.

PAX

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]So let me get this straight…the way to defend the Southern Baptist faith is to attack Catholics? Wow. That’s great stuff.

Anti-Catholics, anti-Semites, ect. are all class one losers. Anyone who dedicates their life to attacking Catholicism and Judaism (just the two prime examples I’m using) has no life at all.
[/quote]

[quote=Lumen Gentium]I might have to add another member of an all class one losers - anti-muslims too.
[/quote]

Ah, that’s true. I thought I had put that down too. Fortunately for Muslims, though, most people who are anti-Islamic don’t usually dedicate their lives to it (at least not that I’ve seen; I’m sure there’s some).

[quote=Eden] What is the explanation for this misdirected emphasis?
[/quote]

SATAN!
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_4.gif

[quote=Mickey]SATAN!
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_4.gif
[/quote]

Sometimes the answer is so simple, Mickey! You’re right. Where’d you get that “smilie”?!

[quote=Eden]Sometimes the answer is so simple, Mickey! You’re right. Where’d you get that “smilie”?!
[/quote]

Yes, Eden. Satan is the father of lies and anti-Catholics are professional liars.

smiley is from: smileycentral.com

[quote=Lumen Gentium]I might have to add another member of an all class one losers - anti-muslims too.

[/quote]

A local news broadcast did a short story about a lighted sign at a local church that stated “The Koran should be flushed”, an appearant reference to the Guantanamo /Afghanistan / Time Magazine fiasco.

The pastor declined to be interviewed, and said he didn’t intend to offend anyone. He changed the sign to “Jesus is the way”.

To people who read the scriptures like SOME Baptists, they should know better that the church being persecuted, is the one and only church Christ founded.

I did a little repair on the above quote, because I personally have a few Baptist friends that are not at all thrilled that I’m going to burn in hell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.