Anti-gay bill in Uganda challenges Catholics to take a stand [John Allen]

As Spiderman has always understood, with great power comes great responsibility. In Catholicism, that’s a point with particular relevance these days for Africa. Explosive growth of the church is turning Africa into a 21st century Catholic powerhouse, which means that Catholic leaders in Africa face a new responsibility to wield their influence wisely.

A startling story percolating in Uganda illustrates that truth.

An Anglophone nation located in eastern Africa, Uganda has a population of 32 million, roughly 40 percent Catholic. By mid-century the Catholic population should soar to 56 million, enough to make Uganda the sixth-largest Catholic nation in the world, ahead of such traditional Catholic powers as France, Italy, Spain and Poland.

As Comte said, demography is destiny, and Uganda’s destiny is to be a force in setting the tone for the global church. Right now Ugandan Catholics face precisely one of those tone-setting choices: How to respond to a draconian new bill in parliament which would impose the death penalty for homosexuality in certain circumstances.

More…

Note to self: **"Never go to Uganda. There are fake Christians over there." ** It's astonishing how a supposed evangelical "Christian" wants to kill his enemies. Don't you just love the part of the Bible where Jesus told us to do that?

Oh wait, that's right....He DIDN'T tell us to do that.

Not to mention those Africans are seriously misinformed if they think homosexuality is a western aberration. I hear there was homosexuality in the world LONG, LONG before Columbus sailed the ocean blue. I guess all those gays and lesbians in China, Greece, Russia, India, et al. are just illusions...transplants from the wicked, evil west.

Should be interesting to see how the RCC deals with this.

[quote="onthenarrowpath, post:2, topic:177699"]
Note to self: **"Never go to Uganda. There are fake Christians over there." ** It's astonishing how a supposed evangelical "Christian" wants to kill his enemies. Don't you just love the part of the Bible where Jesus told us to do that?

Oh wait, that's right....He DIDN'T tell us to do that.

Not to mention those Africans are seriously misinformed if they think homosexuality is a western aberration. I hear there was homosexuality in the world LONG, LONG before Columbus sailed the ocean blue. I guess all those gays and lesbians in China, Greece, Russia, India, et al. are just illusions...transplants from the wicked, evil west.

Should be interesting to see how the RCC deals with this.

[/quote]

Well done for stereotyping Uganda and it's people! :thumbsup:

[quote="lemonbeam, post:3, topic:177699"]
Well done for stereotyping Uganda and it's people! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Read the article. You'll quickly understand the basis for my comment.

Oh yeah....:thumbsup:

Just so you know, my note to self was sarcasm - I wasn't stereotyping ALL Ugandan Christians.

Final note to self before avoiding Catholic.com forums altogether in the future: "Don't be yourself and make tongue--in-cheek comments without inserting sarcasm quotes. People don't understand the context of your comments correctly."

Why make a note to yourself public? :smiley:

We already have.

The Bible which is the book of the Catholic Church, recounts God’s wrath on Sodom and Gomorrah. So God will deal with the perversions of the flesh.

We also teach that we need to distinguish between the sin - unnatural deviation - and the sinner.

So the Church deals with the sin, clearly and uniformly. As to the unjust punishment, the Church also is clear, and they will speak against **murder **in any form.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.