Anti-immigrant rhetoric can be deadly

Some of this year’s crop of politicians tell us that illegal or undocumented immigrants pose a deadly threat to our country. I say that anti-immigrant rhetoric is the more dangerous threat. It has been deadly before, here and in other countries. It can easily become deadly again.

You can watch the rhetorical escalation up the ladder — or down the slippery slope, choose your metaphor — toward danger.

OTOH, sometimes there is reason for people’s concern.

All too often, illegal immigrants are conflated with legal, and those who are concerned about people here illegally are dismissed as racist neandrathals.

There is a reason our nation has laws, and one wonders why the government is so reluctant to enforce those laws. Those laws not only protect us, they protect people who would otherwise pay coyotes who bring them here and commit crimes against them.

Right now, we cannot have a reasonable discussion about this topic, because those with rightful concerns are shut down by people like those in this article. I think we are one of two nations which allows anyone born here to be a citizen. This is absurd, and yet there is a whole crew of people who put up the (unstated) strawman argument that we will become like Germany, with 4 or more generations of Turkish citizens born in Germany, if we don’t keep it that anyone who happens to be born here is a citizen.

Insanity.

There is a reason our nation has laws, and one wonders why the government is so reluctant to enforce those laws.

If this is referring to the USA, it’s because the Democrats want votes because their full embracement of the culture of death is keeping them from achieving what should have been set in stone as demographic destiny while all the “old white men” as it were die out. :rolleyes:

Their dream, however, isn’t working and I think some of them are afraid about why that really is.

All too often, illegal immigrants are conflated with legal, and those who are concerned about people here illegally are dismissed as racist neandrathals.

I agree. I’ve been criticized on here just for pointing out the fact that the Vatican favors a balanced approach to immigration and the EU crisis involves multiple sexual assaults at refugee camps to the point of where women and girls are sleeping in their clothes and that German administrators are penning letters telling young women to dress modestly.

I can only imagine the reaction from the First World left-wing media if UKIP or the TEA PARTY were writing letters telling women to dress modestly.

If the Western left has the monopoly on compassion and caring, why aren’t they offering up rooms in their big houses/condos to these refugees?

So really, as a progressive cause, it always comes down to most of that side of the aisle floundering around in :bighanky: feelings instead of concerning themselves with results and either doing nothing out of fear of offending someone who is different or using the force of government do to the dirty while they sit back and take credit.

Illegal immigration is also deadly. Look at the case of Kate Steinle or others who lost their lives thanks to the anarchy in our immigration system.

I guess our Pope is a “left winger” “floundering in feelings”.
:cool:

You said it not us.

If you want to debate others, address their points directly instead of attributing false views to those who disagree with you. This is simply dishonest.

The Pope is a good man; I have no qualms with him. Unlike his leftist “fair weather” pseudo-admirers,Francis doesn’t seem to blankly smear opponents of chaotic resettlement policies as “racist”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.