Anti-Islam Minister Terry Jones Says He Feels No Responsibility for U.S. Ambassador’s Death

The Florida pastor, who is promoting the movie that fueled attacks on U.S. missions in Libya and Egypt, admits negative portrayals of the Prophet Muhammad could cause violence, but tells The Daily Beast he never regrets exercising free speech.

More…
thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/13/anti-islam-minister-terry-jones-says-he-feels-no-responsibility-for-u-s-ambassador-s-death.html

Well, he does have freedom of speech and when Christians or Catholics have films made of them that mocks our beliefs or personalities, we do not go out and kill and burn things and make death threats. This film is just an excuse for them to make acts of war on our embassies on 9/11. While one does not have to agree with this pastor or what he does, giving in to these kinds of threats does limit freedom of thought and speech. There is no excuse to kill and burn our flags because they do not like some obscure film.

It's Islam that is to blame, and the attitude of killing for God. Muhammad killed, but Jesus sacrificed Himself. Early Christian were martyrs, but what were early Muslims? The sooner people realize that much of passes for extremism is actually a religious war that never ended the better. Do you really want a Muslim Brotherhood to overthrow governments or a lunatic president to receive nukes, even despite being super anti-Israel? I would not be surprised if Christians are killed because they are "westerners".

The fact that the attacks occurred on 9/11 suggests that the date was not random, and that reasons for the attacks go deeper than a stupid movie from an idiot nobody ever heard of. The word I am looking for is: pretext. Any pretext will do.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:298408"]
More.....
thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/13/anti-islam-minister-terry-jones-says-he-feels-no-responsibility-for-u-s-ambassador-s-death.html

[/quote]

If he made and distributed an anti-Mormon film and a bunch of Mormons killed someone becuase of it would he be responsable for their actions?

One can view this both ways. On the one hand, the guy DOES have a moral obligation to recognize that there are a LOT of Islamist lunatics out there just waiting for an excuse to use violence against those not like them. Basic prudence suggests that one NOT give them such excuses unecessarily (and the movie is deliberately provocative).

On the other hand, if me and 12 buddies went got together and murdered the "artist" who peed in a jar and put a crucifix in it upside down some years ago, would ANYBODY be criticizing HIM for inciting violence in that situation?

Let's face it, we have an intentional double standard in this country today that is born of malice towards christianity and passive cowardice in regards to Islam. Add those two together, and what you get is judgements that it is the film makers fault that these bloodthirsty savages went on a killing rampage. :rolleyes:

I would agree with him, but he probably hates Catholics as much as he hates Muslims being a North Florida good ol' boy. I'm sure if it wasn't Islam it would be Catholicism in his radar.

Leaving aside the first amendment, there is no practical way of patrolling youtube for material “offensive” to muslims. In fact, this forum is probably loaded with material offensive to muslims… as is the cold-cut counter at your local Polish deli. In my view, all evidence suggests that had it not been this stupid movie it would have been some other stupid thing, whether true or not, any real or imagined offense would do. The attacks were premeditated and all we do by fussing around with terry Jones is make him think he is more important than he is, while ignoring doing anything about the real danger posed by people who are truly our enemies.

I find this odd… One would think a pastor would understand the concept of responsibility for one’s actions and the consequences of those actions… I wonder if he has the same feelings for a woman requesting an abortion not being responsible for the death of her child…

I don't remember Saint Paul running around saying "Oh don't practice your faith or call Jupiter and the Roman gods false to evangelize...that might upset and offend the Romans."

1. Fulcher of Chartres
…
**You are called shepherds; see that you do not act as hirelings. But be true shepherds, with your crooks always in your hands. Do not go to sleep, but guard on all sides the flock committed to you.**
…
Source: Bongars, Gesta Dei per Francos, 1, pp. 382 f., trans in Oliver J. Thatcher, and Edgar Holmes McNeal, eds., A Source Book for Medieval History, (New York: Scribners, 1905), 513-17 

Where's Pope Urban II when you need him?

No one can convince me that the Islam religion is peaceful. In my opinion, the Antichrist is behind murders, oppression, hate, etc. that Islamic radicals inflict on anyone who doesn't worship Muhammed or their God.

exactly!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="Galenia, post:11, topic:298408"]
No one can convince me that the Islam religion is peaceful. In my opinion, the Antichrist is behind murders, oppression, hate, etc. that Islamic radicals inflict on anyone who doesn't worship Muhammed or their God.

[/quote]

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.
[9.30] And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!
-Koran

Islam is the first pro-choice movement, you have three choices.

1- Pay a tax to Muslims and live like a 2nd class citizen who promises not to display their faith in public.
2- Join the "religion of peace" :rolleyes:
3- Die

[quote="Jessup, post:7, topic:298408"]
I would agree with him, but he probably hates Catholics as much as he hates Muslims being a North Florida good ol' boy. I'm sure if it wasn't Islam it would be Catholicism in his radar.

[/quote]

even if he does hate Catholics and supports a movie that would mock our faith, we as a Catholic community would not be resorting to violence, death threats and attacks on him or any Baptist church in protest. The people who are doing this would be using any excuse to justify the killings and burning. How about if we bombed them to the moon because they are burning our flag? This already has been proven that there is not coincidence between these attacks and 9/11. This little movie is just a lame excuse.

[quote="austenbosten, post:10, topic:298408"]
I don't remember Saint Paul running around saying "Oh don't practice your faith or call Jupiter and the Roman gods false to evangelize...that might upset and offend the Romans."

Where's Pope Urban II when you need him?

[/quote]

hmmm while he does have the right to make his film, and a few years earlier calling for people to burn Korans', I have to ask: what christian faith calls for the demonization of other faiths. How is such hate a practice of his religion as a supposed christian? I don't recall Jesus exhorting us to ridicule the beliefs of the Romans.

[quote="austenbosten, post:13, topic:298408"]
Islam is the first pro-choice movement, you have three choices.

1- Pay a tax to Muslims and live like a 2nd class citizen who promises not to display their faith in public.
2- Join the "religion of peace" :rolleyes:
3- Die

[/quote]

Yes and they are such great choices. This is why the original Christian communities in the middle east that were there first and existed before Islam came through are down to a tiny fraction. They were given the triple choice when Islam took over by military conquest. No other major religion forces itself on others like Islam.

I still find it odd/funny that political correctness trumps reason in such a way that we worry about one person's criticism of a religion that advocates the death of people who convert from it, stoning of rape victims, suicide attacks on non-believers, etc, instead of the people actually doing these things.

[quote="JHow, post:4, topic:298408"]
The fact that the attacks occurred on 9/11 suggests that the date was not random, and that reasons for the attacks go deeper than a stupid movie from an idiot nobody ever heard of. The word I am looking for is: pretext. Any pretext will do.

[/quote]

I think this is absolutely right. I can't find the link now, but I read an article saying there was evidence that the attacks were planned in advance for that date, and that the "protests" (I use the word in quotes because these are very different from what we know as protests, i.e. people marching and waving signs) over the supposedly offensive movie were just a convenient excuse for the benefit of gullible Western journalists. They know these journalists would happily accept the reason given for the protests/attacks and not probe too deeply into the background or the true motivation of the attackers.

While I fully support free speech and also believe that the Muslim reaction was not appropriate, certainly his actions should not be defended or supported. Regardless of his civil liberties, what he did and has done is innapropriate at best and hateful at worst. This guy is either ignorant or hateful. Either way he is incredibly dangerous. Not because the Muslims are right in their response, but because his actions do not serve the Kingdom of Heaven.

I really don’t care to argue his rights as defined by the constitution, because I would much rather argue what IS right. I can’t help but think his actions are not those of love, charity, humility, or any other virtue. If I have to consider what I wear because it might cause scandal, surely this man should have to consider how his rhetoric might do the same! I really have to ask myself, how many people are converted by his actions? How many people do you think saw him burn the Muslim holy text and said, “wow, I should become Christian?”

I think you have to ask, who is happier about his actions and the reactions, God or satan…therin lies your answer.

Quite frankly, I don’t even know how anybody, especially a Christian can defend what this man does, even if it is under the guide of free speech.

[quote="manualman, post:6, topic:298408"]
Let's face it, we have an intentional double standard in this country today that is born of malice towards christianity and passive cowardice in regards to Islam. Add those two together, and what you get is judgements that it is the film makers fault that these bloodthirsty savages went on a killing rampage. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.