Antiabortion activists to Iowa voters: ‘Support anyone but Donald Trump’

Ten antiabortion activists wrote in an open letter Tuesday that Iowa caucus-goers should “support anyone but Donald Trump,” who they say cannot be trusted to defend unborn children and has not respected women.

“America will only be a great nation when we have leaders of strong character who will defend both unborn children and the dignity of women,” the letter states, according to a version shared with The Washington Post ahead of its public release Tuesday afternoon. “We cannot trust Donald Trump to do either. Therefore we urge our fellow citizens to support an alternative candidate.”

washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/01/26/antiabortion-activists-to-iowa-voters-support-anyone-but-donald-trump/

I go along with this a little bit but still appreciate his candor and straight-talk and would not hesitate to vote for him in an election if he is nominated as a candidate, I don’t see Cruz or Rubio going third party. Nor Rick for that matter.

Jerry Falwell Jr, president of Liberty University must not have gotten the message in time.

Support **anyone but Trump **sounds a bit contrived and irresponsible. They think Hillary or Bernie would be better?

POTUS can only impact abortion in a small way, through HHS policy. Supreme Court nominees are always a huge compromise and very political since Senate confirmation is required. POTUS control is marginal at best on specific outcomes.

Alright, pro-choice has become anti-life; if they want to use anti…

As pro-life women leaders from Iowa and across the nation, we urge Republican caucus-goers and voters to support anyone but Donald Trump.

Ten good people but they are wrong on Trump. Support the last Republican standing would be the best message.

Mr. Trump has stated that he has had a change of heart over the last 15 years and there is no reason to not believe him and forgive him for choosing wrong in the past.

We forgive - that is the business we are in, right?

I agree with them. I don’t trust him to defend the unborn. He is far too flaky on this issue. In fact, how long has Trump been pro-life? One year? Less? How about those really tough moral issues? From what I have seen, he flunks just about every moral test there is. I would trust Rubio far more than Trump. It’s about track record when it comes to abortion. Far too many politicians just check whatever box gets them the votes at the time.

Jeb Bush on Abortion

Defund Planned Parenthood, but not with federal shutdown. (Sep 2015)

No conservative litmus test for judicial appointments. (Nov 2015)

Abortion ok when LIFE of mother at risk, not just her HEALTH. (Nov 2015)

OpEd: Jeb avoids extremism on women’s issues. (Aug 2012)

This was written in 2012:

Four ways the president affects abortion rights

washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/28/four-ways-the-president-effects-abortion-rights/

I guess Hillary is acceptable to these so called leaders. Very suspect.

Um. If you read the article, the letter says,

As pro-life women leaders from Iowa and across the nation, we urge Republican caucus-goers and voters to support anyone but Donald Trump.

In the caucus, Trump isn’t running against Hilary. He’s only running against other Republicans. They are saying that Trump isn’t reliable on the issue of abortion, and:

there is, thankfully, an abundance of alternative candidates with proven records of pro-life leadership whom pro-life voters can support. We have come to this conclusion after having listened patiently to numerous debates and news reports, but most importantly to Donald Trump’s own words.

The next president will be responsible for as many as four nominations to the Supreme Court. Mr. Trump has given us only one indication about the type of judges he would appoint …]. Mr. Trump has said his sister, Judge Maryanne Trump Barry, who struck down the Partial Birth Abortion Ban in New Jersey, would be a “phenomenal” choice for the court.

It’s a reasonable letter. We currently have some input into who will be the “last Republican standing,” and they are urging us to use this opportunity wisely, to ensure that the person running against the Democrat candidate is pro-life. Let’s leave the strawman arguments alone. The writers of the letter are more vulnerable when they start talking about Trump’s treatment of women, where the argument seems weak to me.

–Jen

I am glad these women “leaders” (including at least one infamous anti catholic) are not the welcoming committee for pro life converts. They would scare anyone away.

I heard a Catholic Priest say, at the end of Mass, “Vote for the candidate who will best promote Christian values.” Pope Francis has said that we must not allow a obsession with sexual conduct matters to overshadow the important Christian values of loving our neighbors and loving our Creator.

For the record I don’t think that abortion should be the number one issue. Nuclear weapons constitute a much greater contradiction of our Lord’s primary commandments to “Treat others as you would like them to treat you,” and to have trust in our Creator for our future well being and protection. I believe that they also constitute a much greater danger to humanity. When WW III happens (and it will happen) the human race stands a good chance of becoming extinct.

I voted for Mr. Obama, but he broke his promise to work for nuclear weapons disarmament. Our ICBMs are still held at a “launch on warning” protocol. The USA still has no law that prohibits our military from a first use of nuclear weapons. Instead, the USA is set to spend about one trillion dollars over the next ten years on nuclear warheads alone. Adding to that is the current program to convert the B-61 nuclear bomb into a nuclear “smart bomb.” The B61-12 will have a guidance system with moveable tail fins and have a “yield reduction” feature which will render it “more useable.”

I will not, in the future, vote for any candidate that does not have unilateral nuclear disarmament as part of his or her campaign platform.

I don’t think any Roman Catholic could ever in good conscious vote for a pro abortion candidate. Abortion is not just a “sexual matter.” It’s the murder of an innocent.

Indeed.

Abortion, at least to me, doesn’t even enter in to my decision for president this year. If abortion is ever made illegal again in this country it will ultimately be by legislatures (state and federal) passing laws that are ultimately upheld by the courts. The president really doesn’t have much to do with it.

In any event, if Trump stays the course on immigration reform, national security and the economy, he will definitely say what a lot of people want to hear.

While I have no love for abortion I do get tired of hearing the continuous litany from the pro-life groups with their “all or nothing” approach. Yes, abortion is wrong and should not be allowed but there are other important concerns in this country that need addressing and the sad fact is that legalized abortion is already a settled legal matter.

And as Theo said, do they really think that Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders will make all things good again?

You lost me completely when you used the word, unilateral. I do not understand that at all. :shrug:

Forgive? Yes, of course.

Trust him with the responsibilities of higher office? Absolutely not.

He has advocated so many heinously immoral positions that I don’t see how anyone could support him in good conscience.

Examples?

So, which candidate is, in your eyes, perfect in all aspects of their personal lives and their politics?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.