Anticipated Mass

**Does every Mass celebrated after 4:00 PM on a Saturday or the day before a Holy Day of Obligation - need to be a Mass of anticipation? Or can that Mass use the Liturgy of the Day?

Please cite your answer.**

In the Latin Rite, yes. But also be conscious with a territory’s list of holiday of obligations. If a particular holiday is dispensed, there may not be an intended anticipated Mass.

I know in the Byzantine Rites there is some resistance to adopt this Latinization, so some Byzantine sui juris Churches may have “anticipated” Divine Liturgy, some won’t.

What are you talking about?

[quote="bkayw, post:3, topic:211624"]
What are you talking about?

[/quote]

Unsure if you talking to my OP. My question is - can a Mass that is celebrated after 4:00 PM on a Saturday be the Mass of the day or does it (because of time) need to be an anticipated Mass for Sunday....not sure how to clarify my question any more. Although I would want your answer cited.

First, the Saturday evening Mass is not an “anticipated” Mass. It is the festive Mass of Sunday. The liturgical day of Sunday has already begun, so we are not “anticipating” anything. This language is a hold-over from the old 1917 code of canon law (when such Masses were “anticipating” Sunday).

From the “General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar”
#3 “The liturgical day runs from midnight to midnight, but the observance of Sunday and solemnities begins with the evening of the preceding day.”

Since Sunday has begun, Saturday is over–it’s a thing of the past. Whatever liturgical day Saturday “was” no longer matters.

Once evening has begun (4 PM) Sunday has begun, and therefore the Sunday Mass text is the “Mass of the day.”

Here’s Pope Benedict adoremus.org/SacramentumCaritatis.html
…recognizing that Saturday evening, beginning with First Vespers, is already a part of Sunday and a time when the Sunday obligation can be fulfilled…

And here’s Pope John Paul II vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html
From a liturgical point of view, in fact, holy days begin with First Vespers. Consequently, the liturgy of what is sometimes called the “Vigil Mass” is in effect the “festive” Mass of Sunday, at which the celebrant is required to preach the homily and recite the Prayer of the Faithful.

Does the anticipated mass count as a Sunday Mass? I know I’d go on the “real” Sunday. :smiley:

It is not fixed at 4 PM but may be set by the bishop sometime in the afternoon. (Per the 1983 canon law, this represents a change from the previous norm.) The particular liturgy used is not relevant for meeting the obligation for Sunday or Holy Day or obligation, only the time period. It was introduced to help the faithful observe the obligation with difficult work schedules and other circumstances. There have been several threads on this forum with this topic and you can find the canon law answers there.

There is no such thing as an “anticipated” Mass anymore. The Mass on Saturday evening is the Mass of Sunday because Sunday has already begun.

As Fr. David explained, it’s not “anticipated.” But it’s just as valid to attend 5pm Mass on Saturday as to attend 9am on Sunday morning or 5pm on Sunday evening. You may have preferences – I certainly do! – but any of them meet your obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.