Antique obscene music

I downloaded an album from Amazon, “The Copulatin’ Blues”, some are almost quaint like “I Need Some Sugar in My Bowl” & “Mr Insurance Man” to some that are almost explicit as rap.

I’m a little shocked that these songs were ever preserved on records; I’m sure they were popular in jazz clubs but how did they make it past the censorship of the time?

Kind of funny to think great-grandpa or g’great-grandma have gone dancing to this stuff. :rolleyes:

:eek:

You mean to say that obscene music is not the unique modern evil we are always told it is? You don’t say!

It was all just a bunch of hokum! :wink:

IT still is evil, I don’t know why you don’t understand why obscene music would be appropriate at any time, but I will just say that evil is always present in every generation, with only a few brave souls their, or the saints, to say no to the culture. The saints are the reason we can even reconcile ourselves to any good in this world. Always glorify God instead of vanity.

Good post, but perhaps AthenaC’s subtlety was lost on you? Is there a “You don’t say” smiley? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have CDs of music from the middle ages that is quite… ribald, for lack of a better word.[SUP]1[/SUP] :eek:

-Byrnwiga

1. Even though it is in Medieval French, I don’t listen to it. :D:D.

Carmina Burana, written in Latin by the Goliards and made popular by Orff, has some ribaldry. :wink:

Indeed. I looked up the lyrics to a Medieval Babes song that I liked. Somehow listening to the Old English I couldn’t understand it, but in reading the words it dawned on me just how … explicit it was. :eek: I was amused.

Carmina Buruna is a masterpiece. It’s one of my favorite classical choral works.

The podcast Catholic Under the Hood did an episode on the Goliards: catholicunderthehood.com/2012/03/31/281-the-goliards/

Can’t wait to listen to that podcast! :thumbsup:

Think back to the warnings at Fatima, and this will all make sense. Much of the immorality of the past existed, but much of it was kept out of view of the general public (as it was often against the law, not tolerated amongst God-fearing people, considered uncivilized, and pursued by the morally bankrupt). As the late nineteenth and twentieth century emerged, the immorality became more and more tolerated in the public sphere.

It’s pretty much the norm that where there’s been music and entertainment, there’s been some quite ‘fruity’ language and themes too.

Found this article about early 20th century songs with obscene lyrics: cracked.com/article_17625_7-songs-from-your-grandpas-day-that-would-make-eminem-blush.html

You went there! I <3 cracked. You are my new favorite person.

I think that link concerns the very music about which Didymus expressed dismay. But I agree that such music is nothing new. The advent of recording technology simply allowed such songs to be preserved with their lyrics intact.

The bawdy ballads of English and Celtic history seem mildly naughty to us today. But often they had more obscene variants which were not for polite company and thus not written down.

The albums I bought are far less homicidal.
But even the worst on the list, #1 is not about murder* per se* but a pimp forcing a woman into prostitution under threat of violence; “Cause I’m gonna grab you mama and turn you every way but loose;” i.e., “turning her out”.
Whether the song is advocating for pimps, so to speak or just is about a situation that exists . . . well, this is back when upstanding citizens would go to the back section of town to indulge in unacceptable behavior.

I have to admit my tastes run to the vulgar. I have some CDs of sea chanties, plus some Oscar Brand CDs with songs from each of the armed services (actually fairly mild except for NSFW language).

Well, that’s just the thing. Anyone who is up in arms about songs today -

1. Ignores the fact there has always been questionable songs; and
  2. Can’t possibly conceive of this wild “just is about a situation that exists” concept.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.