antisemitism and Catholicism

I was curious about this website an atheist pointed to in a debate:
sullivan-county.com/news/mine/timeline.htm

It gives a compelling list of of the history of Catholicism and antisemitism and I was wondering if I can get some feedback on the history. I noticed some of the quotes look like they are out of context, but some of this stuff I do not have good enough historical research knowledge or materials to dig into.

Thank you for your help

What’s the point of the exercise?

Chuck

If he was honest, he would point out that Martin Luther towards the end of his life, came up with a 6 step plan to get ride of Jews because they rejected Lutheranism. I heard this from a talk from a Jews for Jesus one time. This six step plan is the one Hilter used in his effort to get ride of the "jewish problem".
It was "Lutheran Germany" that went along with Hilter with little protest from few brave Lutheran pastors more so than in Catholic Bavaria part of Germany. There is shame on both sides.

[quote="eatcow0, post:1, topic:276534"]

It gives a compelling list of of the history of Catholicism and antisemitism and I was wondering if I can get some feedback on the history. I noticed some of the quotes look like they are out of context, but some of this stuff I do not have good enough historical research knowledge or materials to dig into.

Thank you for your help

[/quote]

From your post it would appear this is all some sort of surprise that you had no inkling about :shrug:

[quote="eatcow0, post:1, topic:276534"]

Thank you for your help

[/quote]

Well, you could look up Thomas de Torquemada. I doubt you could take him out of context. You can also still find several of his letters and instructions (not the originals of course :rolleyes: ).

It gives a compelling list of of the history of Catholicism and antisemitism and I was wondering if I can get some feedback on the history. I noticed some of the quotes look like they are out of context,

Why not ask the people who posted this information for links to the original documents from which they obtained their information. It is up to them to provide this information since they are making the claims.

[quote="Calgar, post:5, topic:276534"]
Well, you could look up Thomas de Torquemada. I doubt you could take him out of context. You can also still find several of his letters and instructions (not the originals of course :rolleyes: ).

[/quote]

This guy called St. Augustine insane and critisized his Confessiones as being full of nonsense and madness, I wouldn't even pay attention to these types if you would not have brought it to my attention. Most of his antisemitism-list is incorrect and biased. Just some examples.

St. Cyril of Alexandria expels Jews from his city

Only after the Jews tried to burn catechuments

"The Code of the emperor Justinian decrees that in Christian Byzantine society Jews cannot read their sacred books in Hebrew in their synagogues, and the Mishnah and other rabbinic interpretations are banned"

Obvious lie. The Jews couldn't even read Hebrew anymore and asked the the emperor if they could use a Greek translation. He said they could use the Septuagint or else Aquila's translation if they wanted.

Pope St. Gregory the Great decrees that Jews should not have excessive freedom, but also "in no way should they suffer a violation of their rights"

How is this antisemitic?

In an interview with Zionist leader Theodor Hertzl, Pope St. Pius X says: "I know, it is disagreeable to see the Turks in possession of our Holy Places. We simply have to put up with it. But to sanction the Jewish wish to occupy these sites, that we cannot do...

How horrible! ;)
If only the world had listened to Pope Pius X...

[quote="robwar, post:3, topic:276534"]
If he was honest, he would point out that Martin Luther towards the end of his life, came up with a 6 step plan to get ride of Jews because they rejected Lutheranism. I heard this from a talk from a Jews for Jesus one time. This six step plan is the one Hilter used in his effort to get ride of the "jewish problem".
It was "Lutheran Germany" that went along with Hilter with little protest from few brave Lutheran pastors more so than in Catholic Bavaria part of Germany. There is shame on both sides.

[/quote]

After a quick advanced Google search of the website in question, they do indeed go after Luther as well.

I think that trying to either disprove Protestantism or Roman Catholicism based on sins or attitudes committed against the Jews is poor argumentation. The only times I've had to point out Roman Catholic sins against the Jews is when Roman Catholics go after Luther for his later writings against the Jews. That is, before fingers are pointed at someone else, best to make sure they don't likewise point back to ourselves.

Regards, James Swan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.