Anton Szandor LaVey

Really, for anyone, even for non-Catholics, this would be a no-brainer. But do you think he would’ve believed if the Gospel was truly preached to him? Or would that even be too much?

Didn’t Levey write the Satanic Bible? I can remember when that book was popular and they sold it at our local Barnes and Nobles in the mall.:eek: As a teenager I picked it up and thumbed through it, curious as to what all the fuss was. I quickly put it back down, not because it talked about such things as infant killing etc… It didn’t do that-at least not in the few pages I glanced at. But because the general philiosophy seemed to be that the strong can do whatever they want to the weak. That offended me because it was basically saying **** empathy, if you are one of the strong then you can do any selfish act you want. Now, that was over twenty years ago, but even then I had enough sense to be repulsed. Also, the is my remembered impression-like I said, it was twenty years ago.

Could he have become a Christian? I suppose that is possible, but the philiosophy espoused in his book seemed a bit sociopathic.

LaVey was a charlatan, rather than an actual Satanist. See this website which debunks much of the public image he created.

Many years,

Neil

Anton Szandor LeVay was raised Catholic, but he was a snake oil salesman. He worshipped his own libido, and Christian (especially Catholic) sexual ethics were a serious impediment to his rampant uninhibited sexual urges.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]Anton Szandor LeVay was raised Catholic, but he was a snake oil salesman. He worshipped his own libido, and Christian (especially Catholic) sexual ethics were a serious impediment to his rampant uninhibited sexual urges.
[/quote]

This is true. I watched a special about them on the History Channel one time and they had the high priest of the Church of Satan on an interview. He said they they don’t “really” worship Satan but he is a symbol of what they are fighting against. Like, abstinenece, charity, etc. They worship human desire, emotion, and urges. He let cameras in during a worship practice and it really freaked me out.

It wouldn’t surprise me to know that LeVey knew the gospels, after all, Satan knows them too.

I think he knew enough of truth to know how to lead people astray, and that was all he needed. I can’t confirm it, but I heard that once in an interview he explained that to be a follower of Satan, one didn’t have to be religious and perform ceremonies and whatnot, but rather one just had to serve self. If you ask me, that’s more insight than a lot of Christians have.

I would consider Gnosticism more “Satanic” than I would consider LaVey’s so called atheist religion. Although both deny the truth, one explicitly says that the earth was created by Satan and the other does not (Anton LaVey’s religion doesn’t).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.