Anulment and the eucharist

Little backstory first...I am currently enrolled in RCIA for confirmation only and am returning to the church after 20+ years away. I was baptized as a baby and have received my first communion. I am also currently undergoing the process of annulment for my first marriage.

I divorced my first husband almost 12 years ago and have since remarried. Both were civil marriages and not blessed in the church. What I am not clear about though is if I can receive the Eucharist while this process is going on?

I have been to confession and have confessed my sins over the past 20+ years since going to confession and being a part of the church. I believe that I am otherwise able to receive the Eucharist but the annulment and remarriage issue confuses me. Last Sunday I went up during the Eucharist but I crossed my chest to receive only a blessing. I am not sure what to do here. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. :confused:

[quote="almalevi, post:1, topic:309048"]
I am also currently undergoing the process of annulment for my first marriage. I divorced my first husband almost 12 years ago and have since remarried. Both were civil marriages and not blessed in the church.

[/quote]

Since your first marriage was not in the Church, lack of form, this should be a straightforward and quick paperwork process, not a full nullity case. There is no annulment in the case of lack of form, just paperwork. This should be able to be accomplished in a few short weeks or months and then your current (civil) marriage convalidated.

What I am not clear about though is if I can receive the Eucharist while this process is going on?

[/quote]

this is a question for your priest in confession. Typically, until your marriage is convalidated, your priest would suggest you refrain from the Eucharist. However, your priest may discuss options of living in continence with your spouse and resuming the Eucharist.

None of here can tell you "yes" or "no". This is something you need to discuss with your priest.

I am not sure what to do here. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. :confused:

[/quote]

bring it up with your priest and listen to his counsel.

You should live as brother and sister with your spouse until the marriage is convalidated. If you do that then you can recieve the Eucharist.

[quote="devoutchristian, post:3, topic:309048"]
You should live as brother and sister with your spouse until the marriage is convalidated. If you do that then you can recieve the Eucharist.

[/quote]

Only if your confessor recommends this course of action.

Listen to 1ke.

Little backstory first...I am currently enrolled in RCIA for confirmation only and am returning to the church after 20+ years away. I was baptized as a baby and have received my first communion. I am also currently undergoing the process of annulment for my first marriage.

I divorced my first husband almost 12 years ago and have since remarried. Both were civil marriages and not blessed in the church. What I am not clear about though is if I can receive the Eucharist while this process is going on?

I have been to confession and have confessed my sins over the past 20+ years since going to confession and being a part of the church. I believe that I am otherwise able to receive the Eucharist but the annulment and remarriage issue confuses me. Last Sunday I went up during the Eucharist but I crossed my chest to receive only a blessing. I am not sure what to do here. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. :confused:

[/quote]

Pope John Paul II - 1982 Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio, has:Reconciliation in the sacrament of Penance which would open the way to the Eucharist [internal forum solution], can only be granted to those who, repenting of having broken the sign of the Covenant and of fidelity to Christ, are sincerely ready to undertake a way of life that is no longer in contradiction to the indissolubility of marriage. This means, in practice, that when, for serious reasons, such as for example the children's upbringing, a man and a woman cannot satisfy the obligation to separate, they "take on themselves the duty to live in complete continence, that is, by abstinence from the acts proper to married couples."
Cardinal Ratzinger - 1994 Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church Concerning the Reception of Holy Communion by the Divorced and Remarried Members of the Faithful, has for the divorced and remarried, without annulment:"The faithful who persist in such a situation may receive Holy Communion only after obtaining sacramental absolution, which may be given only "to those who, repenting of having broken the sign of the Covenant and of fidelity to Christ, are sincerely ready to undertake a way of life that is no longer in contradiction to the indissolubility of marriage. This means, in practice, that when for serious reasons, for example, for the children's upbringing, a man and a woman cannot satisfy the obligation to separate, they 'take on themselves the duty to live in complete continence, that is, by abstinence from the acts proper to married couples'"(8). In such a case they may receive Holy Communion as long as they respect the obligation to avoid giving scandal."

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_14091994_rec-holy-comm-by-divorced_en.html

See your priest and he will help you through it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.