Anxiety and masturbation

I have and take medication for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I told this to my priest at confession after confessing masturbation and he acted like it was a little different than the simple mortal sin. Time between this is getting longer and longer but it seems when going to Mass things are alieved. I know we don’t go by feelings but isn’t there a culpability issue here.
Asking for opinions.

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:323269"]
I have and take medication for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I told this to my priest at confession after confessing masturbation and he acted like it was a little different than the simple mortal sin. Time between this is getting longer and longer but it seems when going to Mass things are alieved. I know we don't go by feelings but isn't there a culpability issue here.
Asking for opinions.

[/quote]

Addiction lessens culpability.

God would never allow you to have a temptation that you couldn’t handle. What a nice guy huh? :slight_smile: So are some temptations really hard to overcome? Yes, most definitely, no doubt about it, but there is also no doubt that we can overcome it with Jesus’s help. :smiley: The rewarding feeling you will have when you overcome the sin and knowing that you in God’s grace is indescribable. Just put your trust in God and cut this sin out of your life. You will be fine and much better off without it. Satan is trying to make you think that have to commit this sin and that it isn’t that bad, but remember he is tricky and the father of lies. Praying for you!!! :thumbsup:

As it says in the catechism addiction and habit and affective maturity lessen culpability.

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability. scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:323269"]
I have and take medication for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I told this to my priest at confession after confessing masturbation and he acted like it was a little different than the simple mortal sin. Time between this is getting longer and longer but it seems when going to Mass things are alieved. I know we don't go by feelings but isn't there a culpability issue here.
Asking for opinions.

[/quote]

There is a potential culpability issue here, but this is a matter to discuss with your confessor and not rely on the opinion of internet strangers.

Your confessor has authority to discuss these things with you and guide you. On a practical level, whether masturbation is considered a personal mortal sin affects the capacity for that individual to receive Eucharist between confessions when they fail to resist temptation. If this is what you are wondering about, directly ask your confessor and trust his advice.

Of course, if your confessors says that he your culpability is diminished and you should not abstain from receiving Eucharist, this is not a chance to avoid your responsibility to stop this objectively grave sin. But good on you for wanting to resist this sin. :thumbsup:

What medication?

I don’t understand what it is you are saying about your priest’s response? Different? How?

What is it you are asking about culpability?

When I mentioned anxiety he said "Uhh"
Paxil.

[quote="billcu1, post:7, topic:323269"]
When I mentioned anxiety he said "Uhh"
Paxil.

[/quote]

I am not sure what you are saying...

You confessed and then...

mentioned you have anxiety and take Paxil...

he then said Uhh...

Is this correct?

When I mentioned somethings that might change culpability he said “uhh” Like “I see” this has been many confessions ago. I have confessed since then and need to again.

[quote="billcu1, post:9, topic:323269"]
When I mentioned somethings that might change culpability he said "uhh" Like "I see" this has been many confessions ago. I have confessed since then and need to again.

[/quote]

So, is it my understanding that you believed that you were expressing to the priest that you wanted him to know that you were taking Paxil because you believed it lessens culpability?

If this is so, how is it you incur to Paxil lessening of culpability?

[quote="CopticChristian, post:10, topic:323269"]
So, is it my understanding that you believed that you were expressing to the priest that you wanted him to know that you were taking Paxil because you believed it lessens culpability?

If this is so, how is it you incur to Paxil lessening of culpability?

[/quote]

The CCC says specifically regarding masturbation (as quoted above)

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects' moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability. scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

[quote="triumphguy, post:11, topic:323269"]
The CCC says specifically regarding masturbation (as quoted above)

[/quote]

and you relate that to Paxil in what way?

Note the footnote reference for Masturbation in the Catechism is this..

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19751229_persona-humana_en.html

Persona Humana

On the subject of masturbation modern psychology provides much valid and useful information for formulating a more equitable judgment on moral responsibility and for orienting pastoral action. Psychology helps one to see how the immaturity of adolescence (which can sometimes persist after that age), psychological imbalance or habit can influence behavior, diminishing the deliberate character of the act and bringing about a situation whereby subjectively there may not always be serious fault. But in general, the absence of serious responsibility must not be presumed; this would be to misunderstand people's moral capacity.

[quote="CopticChristian, post:12, topic:323269"]
and you relate that to Paxil in what way?

[/quote]

I don't need to relate it to paxil in any way.

I am repeating the CCC for the benefit of the OP. Everything he needs to know is there. He should ask for clarification from the priest.

If he suffers from anxiety, or psychological problems, or the behaviour is habitual or due to some kind of addiction, or he is emotionally immature then his culpability is lessened...

End of/

We can't diagnose him over the internet, or apportion the exact amount of guilt he bears - and its irresponsible to discuss his medication too (it's also against the AUP).

[quote="triumphguy, post:13, topic:323269"]
I don't need to relate it to paxil in any way.

I am repeating the CCC for the benefit of the OP. Everything he needs to know is there. He should ask for clarification from the priest.

If he suffers from anxiety, or psychological problems, or the behaviour is habitual or due to some kind of addiction, or he is emotionally immature then his culpability is lessened...

End of/

We can't diagnose him over the internet, or apportion the exact amount of guilt he bears - and its irresponsible to discuss his medication too (it's also against the AUP).

[/quote]

I have and take medication for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. I told this to my priest at confession

I understand. The OP says he told the priest about the anxiety and the Paxil...and you are correct he should ask the priest what it was he meant. Since he posted here asking questions I tried to clarify. You have clarfied some and if the OP believes that there are further questions other than asking the priest then the OP will ask.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.