Anxiety before and in confession

Hey everyone,
Lately, when i go to confession, I get really nervous and anxious to the point where i almost feel like i’m going to pass out. I’m going to confession tonight and i really want to make a good humble one, but i’m so nervous. Any advice welcome, thanks!

Breathe deeply first, but don't hyperventilate!

What are you afraid of? Telling your sins to the priest, who sits there in the Person of Christ? This is all stuff you've thought, said, or done already. Wouldn't it be a relief to get rid of it? Having those things forgiven is the same as getting rid of them. When the words "I absolve you..." are pronounced, as far as God is concerned, those sins are gone. Poof! Done.

Are you afraid that the priest is going to yell at you? At the church I attend on weekdays, confessions are heard during the last part of Adoration. I've been there frequently, and I have never heard any screaming coming from the confessional.

Are you afraid of a harsh penance? The days of kneeling in front of the church in sackcloth and ashes for a hundred days are gone. That ship sailed about five hundred years ago, or longer.

Just go in there, and admit you're anxious. The priest himself will give you some support to make a proper confession.

Don't let anxiety deprive you of absolution and the great graces awaiting you. Go. And God will bless you for it.

As Fr. Z says, "Just do it."

I feel anxiety as well, every single time. I feel such a weight gone when it is over with.

Every time, I have to force myself to go to confession. I talk myself into it. I tell my husband I'm going. I put it off, under the guise of making a more complete examination of conscience. In the end, you just have to go. It will be worth it. You can do this.

The more often you go, the easier it gets, but for some people, myself included, the process is never without anxiety.

I will pray for you.

[quote="Christ_Conquers, post:1, topic:307636"]
Hey everyone,
Lately, when i go to confession, I get really nervous and anxious to the point where i almost feel like i'm going to pass out. I'm going to confession tonight and i really want to make a good humble one, but i'm so nervous. Any advice welcome, thanks!

[/quote]

Take your rosary with you and pray while waiting. Take a prayer book too.

I get really nervous, almost nauseous, you just have to get through it. Everyone is struggling with the same thing. The weight of my sins fairly smothers me, especially since Jesus is right there in front of me. I go because I need to, not because I like doing it.

Go often. It's a little easier if you just get in a habit.

Lately I have been going every couple days or so (Not good for my scupulosity, oh well :shrug:) and I love it. I love Confession. The more the merrier. I don't think I could survive if I had to go longer than one week. Weekly for me at the bare minimum. As Mrs. Julianne said, perhaps go a little more frequently, take a rosary and a Prayerbook(s) and some prayer cards. Also, be careful for scrupulosity. It is my cross to bear at the moment and let me tell you, this is one Cross you don't want to carry unless the LORD ordains it such. IT IS NOT FUN. AT ALL. :(:(:(:(

Hope this helps!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.