Anxiety over University

I am a 25 year old Catholic (convert for three years now from a uneducated Evangelical background) who is currently in the USMC stationed in Jacksonville, NC. I am in my senior year for studying my Bachelors in Government at Campbell University (which is a baptist school). Unfortunately, I am required to take several religious classes which are taught my baptist preachers who are ambivalent and at times hostile to the Catholic faith. I feel guilty for contributing to this university....but there do not exist any Catholic schools that I can attend. I feel guilty and in my heart when I leave the service, I plan to go to a good Catholic Law school for my graduate studies. Should I feel guilty?

Not at all, just dont listen to the catholic bashing… learn the answers you need for the tests but as you wouldent need to retain any of the knowledge beyond the finals

Feeling guilty no, but passing your classes may be a challenge. If you do not provide the correct answer, which may be anticatholic, you may be in trouble.

Secondly, get some Peter Kreeft and Steve Ray CD’s. They will help with the Baptist vs Catholic thinking.

Tim Staples and John Martigoni (not sure if I spelled that right) have good sources for apologetics vs. baptists. Martigoni deals with baptist ministers on a regular basis (subscribe to his newsletter if you download any of his free MP3’s on Apologetics at biblechristiansociety.com/download). One of the MP3s is by a priest who used to be a baptist minister. Staples went to Jimmy Swaggert Bible College as an aspiring baptist minister, then converted to Catholicism his junior year. I know the CAF bookstore sells some of his stuff, but I don’t know the prices.

Also, feel free to join my group “Catholic College Students”. forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=189 I know I have a thread for dealing with anti-Catholic people at college. I hope this helps.

[quote="loyola109, post:1, topic:200855"]
I am a 25 year old Catholic (convert for three years now from a uneducated Evangelical background) who is currently in the USMC stationed in Jacksonville, NC. I am in my senior year for studying my Bachelors in Government at Campbell University (which is a baptist school). Unfortunately, I am required to take several religious classes which are taught my baptist preachers who are ambivalent and at times hostile to the Catholic faith. I feel guilty for contributing to this university....but there do not exist any Catholic schools that I can attend. I feel guilty and in my heart when I leave the service, I plan to go to a good Catholic Law school for my graduate studies. Should I feel guilty?

[/quote]

Since you are already a Senior, don't feel guilty. Finish your studies as required. Don't look for arguments with your professors.
Look into Ave Maria University Law School.
Tom Monahan started this Law School at University of Michigan and moved it to Florida. If you qualify he gives a few scholarships to Catholic US Marines.
Check out their web site.

You can do it! :thumbsup: I have a Catholic friend who is attending Baylor University, which is also a Baptist school. She said that there wasn't any Catholic bashing at all. Her theology classes didn't really go into anything where Catholics and Baptists might disagree. Maybe it will be the same for you? I go to a Catholic University, and we have theology classes that would be unoffensive to any Protestant (for example, the Study of Pauline letters, Hebrew Scriptures, Christian Ethics, etc). It has been my experience that theology classes in college offer a strictly historical standpoint (at least at my liberal Catholic school :blush: ).

One more year of study and you will graduate. Please don't drop out of school nomatter how you may feel guilty. I think it is great to study other religions because you will be better prepared to defend your Catholic religious beliefs.

The best defense is to just keep quiet and let the students and professors speak their minds.
Even if you don't agree with them. You can't afford to get expelled from your university
since you are at your senior year.
Just learn about the other religions and you will be prepared to defend your religion when someone approaches you to join their religion.

I would look at it as a live and learn experience. You will be a much stronger catholic after you complete this college experience and also you will be a more tolerant catholic once you have experienced intolerance from people from a different faith. However, you should never feek guilty. It is also a great opportunity to show who catholics are and the values that they hold. :)

If you are interested in a master's degree, and if you are a woman, you may be interested in Saint Elizabeth College in New Jersey.

cse.edu/about-cse/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.