Anxiety Problem

I’m not sure if this is the right board. Forgive me if it isn’t.

I have this big problem, or maybe I’m being melodramatic.
But I have this anxiety problem, especially at night when I’m just overcome with fear and this sadness.
I’m sad that I miss my friends and my childhood which was the best time of my life. And then I get really upset because I realize, my mom may not be around forever for all my life. She’s my best friend and she’s the only one who understands me. I can’t bear the thought of being without her and I know it’s silly to get worked up over it, especially when it’s time to go to bed. I almost want to cry.
Then I’m very afraid, for some reason I just have this fear of evil and death. What it’s like to die, then going to heaven or hell. It scares me so much. And then I’m afraid of medical stuff for the future, what if I die during a surgery? How will my family go on without me?
And then just evilness in this world. America is so corrupt, there’s war, my best friend’s grandfather was murdered late last year and I knew him… It’s just so weird and I’m so afraid of what will happen.
I’m afraid of when I die, where will I go? I figure heaven but I’ve done things I’m not proud of.
I pray. I’ve prayed for forgiveness, for the holy spirit to fill my heart so there won’t be room for any evilness, and then I pray not to be afraid because that’s what we’ve been told to do in the bible, not to be afraid. But I can’t help it. I’ve become so self conscious lately too, I went to the mall and I felt nervous. I’m going to this taco and movie night with some friends from my bible study and i’m really nervous because i don’t know them well. And there’s an all day catholic festival i’m going to and it makes me nervous thinking about it.
I have medical issues and I look different, and my dad has made it a point that i sound different. Great for my self esteem I know but it’s not everyday. Just more frequent. I thought I was getting stronger in spirit now I feel so weak.

Advice? I need help to get to sleep at night. =/

Sometimes God allows us to have certain problems, to feel cetain things in order that we may more fully see, feel and experience His total goodness. Oftentimes the problems we perceive with ourselves are not really as magnified as we think they are.

When each of us looks at ourselves in a mirror we all see different things. But instead of looking at ourselves, God wants us to look into ourselves and see the true beauty that is deep inside our souls.

You are God’s special child – the temple of His Holy Spirit. Enter into yourself and open the door of your heart to Jesus. He loves you so immensely, more than anyone on this earth can even attempt. Talk to Him there. Hand Him all your fears, hurts, worries, emotions. Cast your cares to Him. Be silent in your mind. Let your soul listen in the quiet and you will find our Lord is there with you always.

You pray? Make this your prayer: simply practice the presence of God. He is closer than you may think. Close your eyes and feel His presence. He loves you oh so much.

You are His special child.

I hope that you will find peace and fulfilment. Rather than allowing your imagination to dwell on all kinds of fears and disasters,
you may like to say often, “Jesus I trust in You”.

Remember the old man who said, “I’ve had a lot of worries in my life…
and most of them never happened.”

I ask the Lord to help you to become less focused on your internal fears, and more focused on happy and generous thoughts, and especially of kindness toward others …a smile, a kind word, a kind act, whenever possible. :slight_smile:

The following poem “But” was written by a Divine Word Missionary, inspiring us to love of others, even in the smallest gestures of human kindness.

It was only a sunny smile,
And little it cost in the giving;
But it scattered the night
Like morning light,
And made the day worth living.
Through life’s dark warp a woof it wove
In shining colours of hope and love;
And the angels smiled as they watched above,
Yet little it cost in the giving.

It was only a kindly word, a word that was lightly spoken;
But not in vain,
For it stilled the pain
Of a heart that was nearly broken
It strengthened a faith beset with fears,
And groping blindly through mists of tears,
For light to brighten the coming years,
Although it was lightly spoken.

It was only a helping hand
And it seemed of little availing;
But its clasp was warm,
And it saved from harm
A brother whose strength was failing.
Its touch was tender as angels’ wings
But it rolled the stone from the hidden springs
And pointed the way to higher things,
Though it seemed of little availing.

You should keep praying. You should also know that feeling like this isn’t normal! It feels normal - I know, I have an anxiety disorder - but it’s not.
I don’t want to give medical advice, but you should think about visiting a doctor who can. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

I developed anxiety after the birth of my first child. My advise to you, pray, pray, pray. Prayer is very powerful! Today I came across a prayer that gave me great peace and perhaps it will for you to:

Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen.

Words to meditate on, I think.

Also, before you go the medication route (which can have alot of nasty side effects) try exercise (30 minutes/day), no caffine and limit exposure to media (especially news programs).

God bless you.

Growing up I had a lot of anxiety:confused: :eek: , I experienced much of what you are saying. I was afraid of death, afraid of being buried, basically a lot of fear. I would lay in bed and my mind would race out of control. When I came back to my faith through prayer,scripture and genuine going to the Lord in honest prayer going through all of these fears with Him I gradually became less afraid and trusted more in Him. He wants you to go to Him, when praying as another poster suggested open the door in your heart, this is so true really let Him in. Meaning when you pray take time to listen sometimes we pray as if He can’t or won’t answer us. Place all your fears before Him each night and pray that He help you to not be afraid. When your thoughts tend to race try to slow down say a comforting prayer I pray ST.Michael prayer . Sometimes I ask the Lord to pray it with me,this may seem weird but I know He is with me and I feel less afraid. Learn to trust the Lord, God is always in control, even when we fear that He isn’t.
Try reading and praying
Psalm 13

1 How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?

2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;

4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.

6 I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.
I can only say what helped me to overcome these fears, I trust the Lord will lead you and I will pray for you. Also read Ephesians 6; 10-20 This helped me to understand how to stay strong in The Lord God Bless:)

Dear Tambourine
I imagine you’ve spoken to your doctor?
Stop carrying the weight of the world and all these problems around with you. Just say to Jesus, " This is too much for me to bear Lord. I’m tired and need a break. You carry the load for a while please. It’s too heavy for me."
Just abandon yourself into the arms of God and give all your worries and anxieties to him. He will take care of all. You don’t have to worry one dot. Trust him.
God loves you insanely just as you are, an imperfect sinner, like us all. He will love you no matter what. All he wants to do is love you. He is love. Forget about the past and any failures and just love God back. Stop worrying. God loves you and has heaven waiting for you. What more could you want.
God bless and I’ll pray for you:)

My goodness, I didn’t expect so many replies. They are all so especially sweet and kind! Some of it is what I’d never have thought of before… I’m very grateful, reading all of this brings me alot of comfort and makes me realize that I won’t have much control over things and I should accept it, wanting more control would be greedy. I really think knowing all this, and putting much more effort into prayers, and having these beautiful prayers that I’ll be sleeping much more soundly.

I do go to a therapist but she, as well as my family, have been against medication. I am too, it scares me how meds can turn you into such apathy as I’ve seen a few other people.
… And I am going to quit watching Bill Oreilly so late at night lol.

Thank you for all the prayers!

This site is very helpful : Lucinda Bassett’s (www.stesscenter.com) self help program. Also ask for St. Dymphna’s intercession. She is the Patroness of those with nervous disorders: go to www.natlshrinestdymphna.org God Bless you. You are a very caring and sensitive person and once you have found your out of anxiety, you can help others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.