Any adults here who were homeschooled?

Was it beneficial to you or do you wish you attended school outside of the home?

I was not personally homeschooled, but I have several friends who were and they are doing just fine now. I also knew many homeschooled kids in my old Baptist church who absolutely loved being homeschooled and are some of the brightest, most well-adjusted kids you’ll ever meet. In fact, the only person I ever saw who did not like being homeschooled was a lady on a Dr. Phil episode about homeschooling if I remember correctly.
When I told my mom recently that my husband and I are considering homeschooling our future kids, she was so excited. She talked all about the homeschool children of her friends and how they got to learn so much outside the classroom and grew up better socialized and more educated than people coming out of the public schools. She said if she had to do it over again, she would not have placed my brother and me in public schools.

I was not homeschooled but every year we begged our mom to let us homeschool.

I would have preferred it and I think - no, I KNOW - I would have learned much more. But that’s the kind of person I was. Class participation wasn’t my “thing” and when I could be on my own (with a one-on-one tutor or with myself), I excelled.

I was homeschooled and then attended school. I preferred going to school because I got to participate in sports and had other activities to keep me busy. At home I finished school early and had more free time but the only thing I had to do after school was go to work. If I had gone to school for longer I think that I would have done better in football and baseball and the academics would have been the exact same.

For me homeschooling was good and bad.

Good because I was one of those 'weird' kids who would have been horribly bullied in school. Bad because my mother had only a grade 6 education and I basically had to teach myself.

Unfortunately we can't REALLY say how our lives would have been better/worse if we'd chosen another path. Fortunately for me my older brother and sister were public schooled and school was HELL for them. I didn't have that experience.

The one thing I do regret about being homeschooled is that when we moved out of town I basically became very secluded which led to some bad things. BUT before we moved out of town I was actively involved in the community (via my mother's job) and pretty content with homeschooling. It wasn't until I was isolated that it became a bad thing.

I cannot remember even hearing about homeschooling when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. I know many Catholic families here in North Carolina home school because there are so few Catholic schools.

I went to school and was homeschooled at different times,and I loved homeschooling. It allowed me to pursue the subjects I was especially interested in, and to work at my own pace .

Oh yeah! I remember being done my schoolwork by noon and I’d have the rest of the day to do kid stuff. Haha. In my spare time I taught myself piano and some Japanese (yeah, I was the typical - anime is cool! kid). :slight_smile:

I was homeschooled for 5 years and also attended private and public schools. I loved being homeschooled. I had a horrible experience in public school with harassment, as did my sister. I then transferred to a wonderful Catholic school but after I moved again, rather than going back to public school, my mom homeschooled my sister and me. It certainly helped that my mom was a teacher so the material was challenging and well thought out. You certainly have to be self motivated but I liked that aspect.
I took a stab at public high school and wasn’t happy, so I went back to homeschool again. I got much more work done and was more focused with less distractions. I still took electives at public school so I could see other people during the day, and I was in plays after school. I’m very glad I was homeschooled and benefited greatly from it. The key is making sure you have outside activities so you can socialize.

I was homeschooled until college. I had much free time do be creative, and artistic.

College has been easy for me so far (3rd year); however, I get frustrated by the low standards other students hold themselves to, and I don’t understand why many of them think it’s weird for me to actually do my homework.
It is easier for me to focus when I have a teacher, but I obviously learned something while I was homeschooled, as my GPA is around 3.9ish.

(don’t take this as an example of my writing :smiley: )

I was homeschooled from 1st grade to the 4th grade. There are pros and cons to it. Although I excelled in reading, english, and history I was dismal in math. My mom had a college education but it was very difficult for her to teach my brother and I when there we also had two other siblings that were younger than us. She had to do everything on her own and it became to much for her.

It does develop good discipline if don’t well. Some of the drawbacks are that unless your parents or someone else that the parents know are musicians, artists, etc you might not be able to learn how to play and instrument or draw or even learn a foreign language. That is one of the advantages of going to a regular school. My mom was trying to homeschool back in the 80’s when there wasn’t the sort of support groups that there are now. I know that some groups kinda “ban” together and teach the children various subjects.

If the Lord blesses my husband and I with children, I want to homeschool them but I would want them to be part of a group of some sort too because one of the other major drawbacks is lack of social skills. I admit that I had very few when I was put into a public school. It was hell :(. My brother fared better but I was the sort that was bullied.

homeschooling was bad for me. i was pulled after 4th grade and i left home at 17 and did highschool elseware. i did eventually make it to a high rated uni and met quite a few other homeschoolers. some had lives like the waltons and some shared the bad tales. we however all had tales of friends who`s parents got sucked into homeschool cults and seemed to fall off the planet. we would pray for these kids…and when we saw that whole thing in texas go down we all shook our heads when people said “good thing that dosnt happen in the North” Long story short i think tha homeschool today allows too many kids to disappear…but i suppose the same could be said of public schools. still i think that if one of these settlements were ever discovered homeschooling could get very illegal very fast

Since there are an estimated 2 million students being homeschooled, there is no immediate danger of it being outlawed any time soon.

I was pulled out of a Catholic school in 5th grade. It was unquestionalby one of the best things that ever happened to me. I wasn’t an A student in school, but homeschooling ignited my intellectual interests. We used Seton Home Study School and in 10th grade I started taking some classes at a community college were I had better grades and a better understanding than any of my classmates. I double-majored and minored at Christendom College with a 3.94 something GPA and currently have a 4.0 GPA in my grad school program.

I am not trying to sound boastful, but I am a huge advocate of homeschooling, and I think it is worth pointing out successes. The thing I value most from my homeschooling experience, is that I am fairly certain I would not still be Catholic if it wasn’t for the intellectually vigorous religion I was able to get that isn’t taught in regular Catholic schools. I came away understanding the value of Catholic education and made sure that I went to a truly Catholic college.

I was homeschooled all the way and will not be homeschooling DD. I was extremely isolated and lonely and ended up teaching myself. Factor in a mom with mental health issues and you don’t have a pretty picture. Did I get a college degree? Yes, through a ton of catch up work. I know quite a few people who were homeschooled. There’s a decent amount of dropouts, a few college grads, some happy marriages, and about the same amount of pro homeschoolers vs. those who will put their kids in school.

Honestly the biggest downsides I saw were parents underestimating the importance of peer activities, when the parents are home all day with the kids and the parents have problems but nothing gets reported because there is no one for the kids to report problems to, and the downplaying by some parents of actual schoolwork. If you have holes in your education, you need to fill them for your kids’ sake. There are certain circumstances where I would homeschool, but ideally I would not and send DD to Catholic school.

I was home schooled from 5th to 10th grade. It was fine. Public school was good, too. No bad memories from either experience. I do know a lot of young adults (20s) who were home schooled and they are all very intelligent, happy, and very socially normal ;) I think that most of them are planning on home schooling their own children when that time comes.

My husband and I were both homeschooled and both had great experiences. People who think that homeschooled people are social misfits sure get a shock when they meet us! We are also well-educated -- we both have BA's and he is working on his MLIS (masters in library and information science). I graduated summa cum laude from college.

I have experienced most kinds of education. Up through third grade I was homeschooled, public schooled in 4th grade, parochial school 5th and 6th grade, homeschooled 7th and 8th grade, boarding school 9th and 10th grade, homeschooled 11th grade, homeschooling plus a community college program in 12th grade.

Of all I've done, homeschooling was my favorite. At first I did fight a lot with my mom; I had ideas about how I wanted things to be, and so I wouldn't cooperate with her well-planned program. That was one of the reasons why she sent me to school the next year (that, and that I wanted very much to go to "real school"). But it was awful: the kids were mean and tormented me, I learned almost nothing, I started failing math, I got depressed ... So one day while sobbing to my mom on the way home over how awful the day had been, my mom said, "If we could manage to homeschool you again, would you want to?" I begged her to let me homeschool again and that was that!

In the later years I didn't have the same conflicts with my mom because she was too busy to do much with my schooling -- she was still working part-time, and later had 2 more kids. As a result, I took responsibility for my own learning (since it had been my choice), built a curriculum I liked, invented projects to help me learn, and really enjoyed myself as well as learning a lot. My mom insisted I spend a certain number of hours a day on school, and had veto power as to what counted as school, but other than that she let me make most of the decisions. I took advanced chemistry, college biology, college physics, all of my own accord (I knew I wanted to go to college, so I chose courses that would help my application). I read encyclicals and wrote persuasive papers on them which my mom graded. I made a board game that my family would play that taught cellular metabolism. After school I would write novels, make up imaginary countries and languages, and participate in a lot of extracurriculars.

sigh< Those were the golden years!

Anyway, now I am a teacher and I can definitely say that the kids don't have the opportunities I had. They all just absorb facts, chew them up, spit them out for tests, and forget them. School encourages that kind of thing. But I learned because I wanted to learn.

Of course, not everyone has the experiences I have had, but I certainly did enjoy homeschooling myself!

I was homeschooled K-12, and wouldn’t trade the experience for anything! I’m 20 now, and will be walking the stage to get my Associates of Arts in Teaching in December, before transferring to A&M to finish up.
Homeschooling was a wonderful blessing because I was not exposed to the ugliness in the world. Mom knew the value of innocence, and preserved my brother’s and mine much longer than would have been possible had we been in school, Catholic or otherwise. The homeschooled kids I see today are happy, friendly, respectful, and polite. Gives me hope for the future!
You’ll be in my prayers as you decide what option is best for your family!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.