Any British English Speakers?

Sorry, another thread on the same subject. But I would be most interested to know. Would it "Let It Be" of The Beatles possible to be interpreted as directed to the Holy Mary the Mother of God. My first intention was to ask whether "I" could interpret that way. But some members said that it could be a double interpretation by the Beatles. I love the song, it is my favorite and an answer to this would be welcome.

I call on the British for the reason stated below. THANKS.

Originally Posted by Garyjohn2 View Post
Very interesting! I didn't know Paul's mother was named Mary. Still, the double meaning would have been obvious to him. "Mother Mary" is a term that applies to St. Mary all the world over. It's much different than saying "My mother, Mary" to refer to one's own earthly mother. Still, perhaps British english is different in this respect than American English. In America, one would not usually say "Mother Jane" or "Mother Donna" to refer to their own mom. That would be a strange thing to say. As a native English speaker, I know that it is very unusual to refer to your own mom using her first name. At the same time, if someone said "Mother Mary" most people would immediately know who was being referred to.

If this was indeed a song about his own mom, I'm confident he chose the wording purposefully to refer to his mother, and at the same time invoke the thought of the universal mother that most people can relate to, the Blessed Mother Mary.

Well, I suppose someone who had a birth mother and an adoptive mother might distinquish them by such a manner, if the relationship was good with both. But, on the whole, Mother Mary would be taken to be a reference to the BVM.

I have heard Filipinos refer to the BVM as "Mother Mary". But as a Beatles fan I have to say that no, sadly the Beatles were not invoking the BVM in "Let it Be".

The song is plainly about Paul McCartney's mother. It's possible that, like many other pop/rock songs since, the Beatles deliberately evoked Catholic/religious words and phrases or close parallels to them, as a way of making the song more edgy, controversial, and apparently "deep". Another example is the Beatles song "Lady Madonna".

The Beatles stated in an interview a few years earler that they were all atheists and very anti-religion. Possibly McCartney (who essentially was the soel writer of the song) had somewhat resiled from this, but the idea that he or his colleagues were trying to promote devotion to the BVM is quite fanciful.

But don't let that stop you from putting your own interpretation to that effect on the song. I've done the same thing myself.

[quote="Petergee, post:3, topic:255609"]

[/quote]

But don't let that stop you from putting your own interpretation to that effect on the song. I've done the same thing myself.

You know, in a work of art, there is thw author and the audience. The author writes or creates whatever he wants and the audience may se, hear, interpret whatever the audience wants. Cervantes created Don Quijote as a farse to medieval knights. Little would he know that his character would exceed the author, being Don quijote more known than Cervantes for it reprsents the imaterial and the material.

I interpreted the McCartny song as so much to Mary, the Mother of God. Now, what i was asking was if there was something incompatible with an adaption to the Mother of God.

I tell you another. When I was younger, I loved the song "My Sweet Lord" and sang at full lungs as far as my english could and I intended it to Jesus Christ. Only when I was smarter in English did I noticed Hara Krishna and, well, I stopped, it is incompatible, even if i substitute Krishna for Jesus Christ. No way.

What I intended to ask was if a British english speaker would spot any tiny little bit of a rowd, preposition or whatever that a non-english sepaker would not notice that could hinder its apllication ti the Mother of God, as with the son of ????? Ring Star????

Great tune, but I don’t think it is really about the BVM, though I can see why some would interpret it in that way.

One choir actually sang this at Mass in our parish and was reprimanded. Note that I live in the kind of parish where this stuff seems to happen often. Our choirs sometimes have a problem with distinguishing secular music from sacred music. What’s good for the laity may not be good for the liturgy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.