Any Calvary Chapel Converts out there?

I have posted a simliar thread months ago, but with the phenomenal growth of these forums, I’d like to run the question by everyone again.

I was wondering if there are any converts here from Calvary Chapel to Catholicism. I’d like to hear your story

As a tag along to the OP, can someone tell me what Calvary Chapals believe in apart from other denominations?

The official statement of faith is on their main web site:
calvarychapel.com/ - click on “Library,” then “Doctrine” and “Philosophy of the Ministry of Calvary Chapel.”

You can also google for “calvary chapel” (with the quotes) and you’ll get a list of sites for some of the chapels.

Many of those links have sermon notes, though, which are probably more informative than the main site as to what they’re teaching.

Despite the claim that Calvary Chapel doesn’t fight other Christian churches on the main site, for instance, a few sermon notes indicate that the real teaching is that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon. They are very proud not to be evangelical or pentecostal. They are proud of the non-denominational tag - to the point that they’ll even tell you that they’re not** protestant**.

Also the main site says that there’s no preaching on support of the church, no requests for funding, but if you read the sermon notes, some of these preachers hit that 10% before taxes thing pretty hard.

They believe that their church is the closest thing to the apostles’ church on earth.

My wife and I have come home to the Catholic Church through Calvary Chapel. We spent a couple years there, I posted my story a little while back and am so happy to be finally married in the Catholic Church. Plus my two kids were baptized about 7 months ago in the Catholic Church. My daughter is starting CCD for first communion in about 2 or 3 weeks, (I better check the schedule).

It is very difficult to leave Calvary Chapel as it is very subtle in it’s anti-catholicism until you hint at any truth in Catholicism. But I have found to have worked out a nice truce where there is no more outright Catholic bashing and I still hang out with family from Calvary Chapel. In fact I went to one of their beach baptisms this Saturday and got a chance to discuss Church history with some of them. I had some eager listeners, and some good discussion, hopefully I planted some seeds.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=scylla]My wife and I have come home to the Catholic Church through Calvary Chapel. We spent a couple years there, I posted my story a little while back and am so happy to be finally married in the Catholic Church. Plus my two kids were baptized about 7 months ago in the Catholic Church. My daughter is starting CCD for first communion in about 2 or 3 weeks, (I better check the schedule).

It is very difficult to leave Calvary Chapel as it is very subtle in it’s anti-catholicism until you hint at any truth in Catholicism. But I have found to have worked out a nice truce where there is no more outright Catholic bashing and I still hang out with family from Calvary Chapel. In fact I went to one of their beach baptisms this Saturday and got a chance to discuss Church history with some of them. I had some eager listeners, and some good discussion, hopefully I planted some seeds.

God Bless
Scylla
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that… of course, you know that we have contacted each other via our email about this topic. Thank you for a little more insight. I’m happy that you are home in the Catholic Church. My interest in Calvary Chapel stems from the fact that I had spent some time there myself and my sister and her family are all a part of that Church. Please pray for them.

Yeah, I just wanted to give a little update on my situation.

Glad to see you posting this sort of thing.

God Bless
Scylla

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.