Any Catholic Police Officer?

I love being a Ranger almost as much as I love being Catholic, but find it sometimes hard to be both at the same time. Any suggestions?

All of us have job related moral conflicts. When push comes to shove, your faith comes first even if you have to find another job. For example, Jesse Romero, a Catholic evangelist, used to be a deputy sherriff in CA when he was ordered to arrest prolife rescuers. When he refused, he thought he was going to be fired, but instead he was promoted.

Can you be more specific with regard to the conflict?

[quote=pittsburghjeff]All of us have job related moral conflicts. When push comes to shove, your faith comes first even if you have to find another job. For example, Jesse Romero, a Catholic evangelist, used to be a deputy sherriff in CA when he was ordered to arrest prolife rescuers. When he refused, he thought he was going to be fired, but instead he was promoted.

Can you be more specific with regard to the conflict?
[/quote]

I agree 100%, and Jesse is one of my heros. Most of my concerns are things I just need to work on hardier, but I am realy concerned about a loss of compation. I helped catch a man for attempted murder last month, and had no compantion for the man who got shot and almost died. I must add that both men are in a motorcycle gang that many of my fellow officers have had run ins with in the past. Is this comman?

Yes, I would say it is common. I wouldn’t quite classify it at a loss of compassion, but rather a desensitization to the horrors of crime because of your daily exposure to it.

I am not a police officer, but I work with police as a prosecuting attorney…and I have dealt with all sorts of horrific violent crimes…and no matter how much you fight it, it takes its toll on you.

Here is my suggestion:

There is nothing you can do about the horrors you will see in your job, and the fact that the more you experience horrible crimes, the less shocking they will be for you. The key to your spiritual survival will be the time you are away from work. You need to make sure that you surround yourself with a good network of Catholic friends who can give you support and lift you up spiritually after a hard day at work. Also try, as hard as it is, to pray for the conversion of every person that you arrest.

I see complete darkness in my job. But on Wednesday nights, I go and teach a law class at a great Catholic school, where I have great holy students that lift me up. Its like going from complete insanity (my dayjob) to perfect light (my night job). It’s the perfect balance. For every bit of darkness you experience at work, balance it with light when you aren’t at work.

I have a close Catholic friend who is the police officer in Virginia. If you want to connect with him to share experiences, let me know and I’ll send you his email.

Also, you had an entirely human reaction to the gunshot victim. Even juries have a hard time having compassion for a criminal who ends up being shot by another criminal.

Since this guy had run-ins with law enforcement in the past, its hard for you to have compassion for someone who may have been a threat to your own safety when he was alive.

Like, i said, its an entirely human reaction and only the holiest of people can completely love someone who has embraced evil and crime. If you can get to that level of holiness, let me know how you got there. It’s something we all should strive for, but don’t get too down on yourself on your way there.

Thank you, that helps a lot. I am very lucky, there are many officers in my department that are good Catholics and willing to talk. Sometimes I can even find a nice place to hide and say the rosary. That helps me recharge. I will say a prayer for you that it does not snow on Wednesdays so you do not miss any classes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.