Any Catholics here former Anglicans?

I'm a former Anglican and I'm becoming Catholic. If anyone is a former Anglican themselves, what made you convert?

[quote="_Gemma, post:1, topic:298365"]
I'm a former Anglican and I'm becoming Catholic. If anyone is a former Anglican themselves, what made you convert?

[/quote]

Well, in between being an Episcopalian and becoming Catholic, I spent a short time in the Orthodox Church. What prompted my departure was that after receiving a positive recommendation from my pastor and the vestry of my parish, I was rejected by the bishop of my diocese for admittance to the ordination process. It seemed to me and several others that the rejection was largely for political reasons. I looked around at the Episcopal Church and was concerned that there was far too little commitment to certain traditional teachings that I hold to be nonnegotiable, in particular the teachings of the divinity of Christ and of God as Trinity, so I decided to become Orthodox. Shortly after that, I became Catholic, largely because I got engaged, and my fiancee (now my wife) was adamant about remaining Catholic, and I did not want for us not to be able to receive Holy Communion together. Also, I believed that it would be better for any future children for the family to attend the same church together. Now that we have a son, I'm even more convinced of that.

My wife was Episcopal...she is attending RCIA right now. Why the change? Well, once you find the truth...you kind of have to go with it...especially when it comes to God's truth. Jesus Christ established one Church, and commanded us to follow it.

[quote="RyanBlack, post:2, topic:298365"]
Well, in between being an Episcopalian and becoming Catholic, I spent a short time in the Orthodox Church. What prompted my departure was that after receiving a positive recommendation from my pastor and the vestry of my parish, I was rejected by the bishop of my diocese for admittance to the ordination process. It seemed to me and several others that the rejection was largely for political reasons. I looked around at the Episcopal Church and was concerned that there was far too little commitment to certain traditional teachings that I hold to be nonnegotiable, in particular the teachings of the divinity of Christ and of God as Trinity, so I decided to become Orthodox. Shortly after that, I became Catholic, largely because I got engaged, and my fiancee (now my wife) was adamant about remaining Catholic, and I did not want for us not to be able to receive Holy Communion together. Also, I believed that it would be better for any future children for the family to attend the same church together. Now that we have a son, I'm even more convinced of that.

[/quote]

I was an Episcopalian who became Catholic and for personal reasons related to a religious community who rejected me became Orthodox.

It seems to me that to become an Episcopal priest not only politics but money is involved, it is very expensive to get the education that Episcopal ordination requires. The Episcopal church revolves around money and good taste more than theology.

I, too, was an Episcopal before going through RCIA. My conversion had more to do with a growing conviction that the Catholic Church was a fuller expression of Christianity, not any particular complaint with Anglicanism.

Sounds like the assemblies of God church I came from.

[quote="cavaleriesoldaa, post:3, topic:298365"]
My wife was Episcopal...she is attending RCIA right now. Why the change? Well, once you find the truth...you kind of have to go with it...especially when it comes to God's truth. Jesus Christ established one Church, and commanded us to follow it.

[/quote]

My wife was a Brit. She was an Anglican as well by cultural upbringing. Yet she remembers at a* very early age* in a History class in England hearing of Jolly 'good ole boy' Henry the Vlll and Thomas Moore. She tells me that even then that she reasoned the Catholic Church was therefore correct. Yet it took until she was an adult to convert.

How many more are in this boat? How many more Brits deep down inside have this deep in their Psyches?

Episcopalian and staying there. However, I am also Lutheran (ELCA), as my parish (unusually) has both affiliations. Either one works for me.

Hard to say in words!

Yours in Christ

Terry

i was baptized and confirmed in the Episcopal church. it made such an impact on me growing up. i loved the Book of Common Prayer. i was trying to make a commitment to being a Christian as a teenager, but once i became an adult, there was no one to guide me or encourage me or tell me that i had to go to church. i think i was baptized and confirmed simply because it was done without any parent explaining why.
so i became a lapsed episcopalian/christian for 25 years.
my dad was catholic and my mom lutheran and i think i always felt that the Catholic church was correct so after a few visits to protestant churches and a couple of months in an anglican church i decided to convert to the Catholicism in 2008. i had studied for several years the differences between episcopal and catholicism and there was too much happening in the episcopal church that i didn't agree with. i have sort of lapsed again.
partly because of economy and gas prices. i work part time and live several miles from church and can't afford the gas to drive in except for my job.

i think i just have problems with organized religion in general.

[quote="andrewstx, post:4, topic:298365"]
It seems to me that to become an Episcopal priest not only politics but money is involved, it is very expensive to get the education that Episcopal ordination requires. The Episcopal church revolves around money and good taste more than theology.

[/quote]

That is quite disappointing, if it is generally true. I had presumed that their systems would mirror ours, in that the funding for clerical education is provided by one's diocese.

I admit that I had wondered what your religious affiliation label meant.

Is your parish a smallish one? I once attended a church which was Presbyterian-Methodist because neither denomination had enough people in the area to make a separate church viable.

[quote="RyanBlack, post:2, topic:298365"]
What prompted my departure was that after receiving a positive recommendation from my pastor and the vestry of my parish, I was rejected by the bishop of my diocese for admittance to the ordination process. It seemed to me and several others that the rejection was largely for political reasons.

[/quote]

That does sound strange. For us, the parish and its priest are typically presumed to be the primary authority in the initial stage of that process, because the bishop is unlikely to know an individual candidate well enough yet.

Yes, it’s a smallish one, ten years old and growing. It’s just now, a few months ago, officially become an ELCA church. It isn’t yet officially a TEC church, but a mission station.

The truth is that Episcopal teenagers nearly universally drop out of church between HS graduation and marriage and childbirth.

It is very rare to see college age Episcopalians in church except for Christmas Eve when they are home visiting from college. They almost always go to state colleges or the Ivy League, and there are only a handfull of Episcopal colleges.

The government involves mostly the rich esp the vestry and the Sr Warden in the church I belonged to was the richest man in town, who mostly funded the building of the chruch with his own funds.

[quote="andrewstx, post:15, topic:298365"]
The truth is that Episcopal teenagers nearly universally drop out of church between HS graduation and marriage and childbirth.

It is very rare to see college age Episcopalians in church except for Christmas Eve when they are home visiting from college. They almost always go to state colleges or the Ivy League, and there are only a handfull of Episcopal colleges.

The government involves mostly the rich esp the vestry and the Sr Warden in the church I belonged to was the richest man in town, who mostly funded the building of the chruch with his own funds.

[/quote]

yes, most of the episcopal churches i attended, many were financially well off - especially those running church business. they were always nice and decent people though. episcopalians, in general, were very friendly and warm and welcoming. i was baptized as a 2 year old and wasn't confirmed until i was 15 or 16 and we lived close to the church when i was a child and i loved walking to the church. i felt so safe inside. then we moved out to the country when i was 11 and i rarely went to church. i couldn't drive myself and my parents didn't take me. after i was confirmed, i tried to make an effort to go once in awhile, but once i went away to college - again no car - i didn't even think of going to church and i wish i would have been able to find a church close to my college.

There is a rather amusing episode from the BBC of the ‘Yes, Prime minister’ series that deals with the ‘official’ Church in England for those interested…

[quote="andrewstx, post:4, topic:298365"]
I was an Episcopalian who became Catholic and for personal reasons related to a religious community who rejected me became Orthodox.

[/quote]

I had the education already--I had completed the M.Div. and was half-way through the Th.M. when the bishop rejected me. I would have needed only a year in an Episcopal Seminary. But it wasn't about my qualifications, my training, spirituality, etc. It was politics-he was at odds with the pastor of my parish.

[quote="andrewstx, post:15, topic:298365"]

[/quote]

I wouldn't know about Episcopalians in rich neighborhoods. Mine is a growing start-up church in a diverse middle-class, kinda hippie-ish neighborhood. We are 10 years old, from house church, then storefront beginnings, and we now have an actual church building. We have an average Sunday attendance of about 100, and an average age of 27.

[quote="Izdaari, post:19, topic:298365"]
I wouldn't know about Episcopalians in rich neighborhoods. Mine is a start-up church in a diverse middle-class, kinda hippie-ish neighborhood. We are 10 years old, from house church, then storefront beginnings. We have an average Sunday attendance of about 100, and an average age of 27.

[/quote]

My parish seems to have an average age of about 70, but that is rather helped by being a cathedral, which draws most of the retired clergy from the diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.