Any Civilization fans here?

I’m a huge fan of the Civilization series. Has anyone here picked up Civilization 5 yet? Any positive/negative opinions to share? I haven’t played it yet, but it’s on my “to get” list.

I haven’t picked up Civ 5 yet, but I’m a HUGE fan of the series. I’ve played like 80 hours of Civ 3 since I bought it on Steam. It’s not an incredible game. My earliest exposure to the Civ series was Civ 2 btw.

I ordered it online today. I would have got it from Steam but it was £5 cheaper from Gameplay. I've been playing the demo a bit and it seems quite good. Taking enemy cities is a pain though. It's A LOT harder than before and you need multiple units to do it.

I faintly remember playing the first Civ way back when. I was too young to really make sense of it or appreciate it. In Civ 2, things started to come together and I was able to have fun with it. Three was where I REALLY got into it and fell in love with the game. Four, and it’s expansions are kind of a mixed bag for me. There are some things I like better than Civ III, and some things I didn’t like. But I still have a lot of fun with it.

I’ll have to check out the demo for Civ 5… I’ll most definitely get it from Steam when I do… I hate giving Valve a monopoly on digital distribution, but it’s just way too convenient to be able to install my games on all my computers with minimal trouble. Plus, I hear Civ 5 supports steam cloud, so I can have access to my saves on any computer I play on. :thumbsup:

[quote="michaeljason, post:4, topic:213758"]
I faintly remember playing the first Civ way back when. I was too young to really make sense of it or appreciate it. In Civ 2, things started to come together and I was able to have fun with it. Three was where I REALLY got into it and fell in love with the game. Four, and it's expansions are kind of a mixed bag for me. There are some things I like better than Civ III, and some things I didn't like. But I still have a lot of fun with it.

I'll have to check out the demo for Civ 5... I'll most definitely get it from Steam when I do... I hate giving Valve a monopoly on digital distribution, but it's just way too convenient to be able to install my games on all my computers with minimal trouble. Plus, I hear Civ 5 supports steam cloud, so I can have access to my saves on any computer I play on. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I know how you feel about Steam. That's why I buy stuff from Direct 2 Drive every once in a while too. Steam is definitely the revival of PC gaming though, it was kind of lagging when consoles really started becoming popular, but now it's in full swing. :)

I totally agree about Civ 3 as well. That game is just fantastic. It's practically perfect. The only thing I really hate is how long the turns out in the late game, and how hard it is to manually control production and movement.

I spent way too much time on Civ 3. I just couldn't get into Civ 4 though. Too much had changed from what I liked about Civ 3.

Alpha Centauri is my favourite though. Not really Civ and it was designed by Brian Reynold's rather than Sid Meier (even though it has Sid's name on it). But that game ate up my life like nothing on earth. I would spend whole days playing it, not realising what time it was. I still have my original CD and manual (threw out the box though).

EDIT: For those Steam haters here I'm afraid Civ V is tied into Steam. Lots of people have been having trouble with it according to various forums I frequent (and Civ V's own forums). I love Steam myself though; never had any problems with it.

I played Civ 1, Civ 2, Civ 3 and Civ 4. Civ 2 is still my favorite, and I still play it in preference to the others. For me it has the right level of complexity: Civ 3 and Civ 4 got too much into all these different options that for me didn't actually increase the enjoyment of the game.

I won't touch Steam with a 10' pole, so I'll never know what Civ 5 is like. But I've enjoyed following the series throughout my gaming life, even though it kind of passed me by a while back. I still play Civ 2 though... especially the scenarios.

I have played the Civ franchise (including expansions) from II to V. I've enjoyed each new incarnation, although I am having a lot of problems getting the latest version to run on my computer. My specs are fine, and I have updated the drivers and OS, so I am not sure what the problem is. :(

I've played Civ1 through Civ4. I could never figure out Civ4, though (the economy part - always seemed to be triggering inflation somehow). Civ5 is a change from the series in that it's using hexagonal grids (there's two modes - 3D and 2D. The latter looks much nicer from the screenshots. Even though the 3D graphics are really nice, it looks cluttered.). I haven't gotten Civ5. After two decades of Civ, it's time to give it a rest. :)

My favorites would be -

Civ3
Civ4 (it's like modding Civ2 - which also used text files - with expanded modding capabilities)
Civ2
Civ1

I've spent almost all weekend playing Civ 5. It's just as addictive as Civ 2 and 3 were. I can see me having many sleepless nights playing this.

I've just gotten my grubby little paws on the Civ 5 demo off of Steam and it seems just so...alien. I'm not sure how to explain it except by saying it feels like someone made a Civ clone, one that looks good to be sure, but definitely NOT Civ. I'll play through the demo a little bit more before I make up my mind.

I wish they would update Alpha Centauri. Now it feels really dated and clunky, but I agree, it's a seriously good game.

[quote="Argh, post:11, topic:213758"]
I've just gotten my grubby little paws on the Civ 5 demo off of Steam and it seems just so...alien. I'm not sure how to explain it except by saying it feels like someone made a Civ clone, one that looks good to be sure, but definitely NOT Civ.

[/quote]

I haven't play much yet, as I am still sorting out some computer issues. I like what I am finding so far, but the fact that we can't stack units totally changes game play. I haven't tried to capture a city yet, but from what I have read it is quite more of a challenge. I do like how combat between units is typically not resolved in one turn, allowing the opportunity to flee ... it has saved my scouts several times. :o

[quote="Argh, post:11, topic:213758"]
I wish they would update Alpha Centauri. Now it feels really dated and clunky, but I agree, it's a seriously good game.

[/quote]

Yes, that is what I keep hearing. I regret that I never played it. I would like to see a new version released, although according to the Wikipedia article sales of the original game may have been a bit of disappointment.

Ugh, Civ 3, really? That many people like it even with its corruption mechanic?

I really like Civ4, but I've never mastered whipping and chopping, so I've never gotten much past Noble difficulty. The religion mechanic was a nice idea, but just horrible in actuality - so much of the game just comes down to events out of your control (i.e. Suryavarman II converts to _________, Suryavarman II hates you now and there's nothing you can do about it, Suryavarman II declares war on you).

For some reason, I really *liked Colonization, too. Maybe it's because I'm the sort of person who obsessively gathers resources, maybe it's because I'm the sort of person who likes to trade resources to get *more resources, but the updated version didn't do it for me, really.

[quote="michaeljason, post:1, topic:213758"]
I'm a huge fan of the Civilization series. Has anyone here picked up Civilization 5 yet? Any positive/negative opinions to share? I haven't played it yet, but it's on my "to get" list.

[/quote]

I'm passing on it, it's ridiculously disappointing.

They've removed religion, espionage, shortened the tech tree, removed cutscenes for victory conditions and apparently no videeos for world wonders. The new method of countering the stack is ineffective, one unit per tile limits everything, even defending your own cities. Less control over science, culture and finance. Less focus on worldwide empires of many cities, instead forcing the player onto smaller cities with large populations. You need one resource per unit (for example, second source of iron for a second legion unit). Reduced amount of wonders and so forth. It's Steam integrated (so be prepared to lose any future games if the servers go down, as Valve is under no obligation to patch Steam to make the games work without Steam, but they might hopefully, I have Empire and Napoleon on there...).

Good points? Good graphics, city states and er...
Did I mention good graphics?

I'm passing on this game, Civilzation IV is alot better. May I recommend Elemental: War of Magic demo? Galactic Civilizations 2 demo?

Argh, have you ever tried the Anno Series, Settler Series (don't touch Settlers 7, ubisoft DRM is ridiculous, or the Patrician Series? You sound like a trader in games, you might enjoy those types..

God Bless,

Christopher.

[quote="CGDouglas, post:14, topic:213758"]
I'm passing on it, it's ridiculously disappointing.

Argh, have you ever tried the Anno Series, Settler Series (don't touch Settlers 7, ubisoft DRM is ridiculous, or the Patrician Series? You sound like a trader in games, you might enjoy those types..

God Bless,

Christopher.

[/quote]

Ya know, I've seen Patrician 7 on Steam here and there, but I've never really had a chance to get my hands on a demo or something to try the concept out before I shell out $40 or something.

It's just hit me what Civ 5 might remind me of: Master of Orion 3. I'm not sure if the analogy is totally accurate, but that's what I'm afraid of. I'll give it some time yet.

I kinda like the idea of the new warfare in Civ 5, though. They put zones of control back in the game, which I really like, but as you said, each resource can only make ONE unit. "Flanking," multiple round battles, ranged attacks, it's all pretty fun, but it's just NOT Civ and I can't wrap my mind around it.

I think it's more like Civilization Revolution II, rather than Civ itself.

God Bless,

Christopher.

Reducing the “SoDs” has been a priority for the past two games. But, that’s one of the main complaints that I seem to be reading - people saying that it’s too simplified. (One unit per tile reminds me of Stratego - played that game with my 2nd cousin once.).

It’s Steam integrated (so be prepared to lose any future games if the servers go down, as Valve is under no obligation to patch Steam to make the games work without Steam, but they might hopefully, I have Empire and Napoleon on there…).

That’s the main problem I have with modern games that require some sort of online authentication (whether it’s logging into a server, server verification), or that is purchasable only online is that if the server ever goes down (or your download stops half-way - don’t know if they let you redownload, nor do I want to try), you’re out of luck. Case in point, years ago, I wanted to check out AoE II online and clicked the in-game multiplayer link. The site was closed down after 10 years.

BTW, there is an easter egg unit of sorts in the game. (I groaned when I saw it since I know the history behind the easter egg)

What unit is it?

[quote="Jennifer_G, post:17, topic:213758"]
Reducing the "SoDs" has been a priority for the past two games. But, that's one of the main complaints that I seem to be reading - people saying that it's too simplified. (One unit per tile reminds me of Stratego - played that game with my 2nd cousin once.).

[/quote]

I think the one tile per hex rule is very much in line with old school Strategy & Tactics wargames (yes, I am that old.) I haven't played enough to know whether such a revision is a mistake. But certainly it will require an adjustment to gaming style, and change often is uncomfortable.

[quote="Dale_M, post:19, topic:213758"]
I think the one tile per hex rule is very much in line with old school Strategy & Tactics wargames (yes, I am that old.) I haven't played enough to know whether such a revision is a mistake. But certainly it will require an adjustment to gaming style, and change often is uncomfortable.

[/quote]

Yup, you're right about the one unit per hex being very old school. I prefer it actually. It makes Civ V more playable to me than Civ 4.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.