Any converts from Eastern Orthodoxy?

I posted this in the Eastern Catholicism forum as well, but it was suggested I try here too.
I’ve encountered a fair number of individuals who have converted from Catholicism to Eastern Orthodoxy, but met relatively few who left Eastern Orthodoxy (or Oriental Orthodoxy, for that matter) for Catholicism.
Are any of the Catholics here converts from Orthodoxy? What led you to Catholicism?
(Note, I am posting this because I am interested in hearing and discussing others’ reasons for conversion, not to start a debate of any sort).

I became Eastern Catholic after getting engaged to my wife, who is cradle Roman Catholic. She told me that she was unwilling to leave the Catholic Church, but that she was willing to worship at an Eastern Catholic parish and to raise any children we might have as Eastern Catholic, so I agreed to becoming Eastern Catholic. I often have doubts about the choice I made.

Now that is truly predestination by God. You shouldn’t have any regrets about that one. :signofcross:

God sent you a good Catholic woman with strong conviction. Now isn’t that a blessing. And she even was willing to meet you “half-way”.

You were covered by Gods hand and don’t even know it.

In all honesty, remarks like these only contribute to my doubts.

lol

You should go see a counselor or a priest. You have issue’s. Someone gives you a compliment and it confirms what doubt?

I work on a sliding scale but this isn’t the place for it. You haven’t related about any doubt. You only related about how you made a commitment in life and now regret it. I repeat I believe it be a blessing. Apparently you don’t see it this way and so you would like to now attack me and blame me along with others for the position you find yourself in. .

How about you stand up and start being accountable for the choice YOU made long ago. From listening to this utter nonsense here it stands to reason had you fell in love with a muslim women you’d be muslim now.

You sound like Adam in the Garden, “My wife made me do it”

My prayers are with you.

This is without a doubt the most patronizing, condescending, and insulting post I’ve ever had directed at me. You really should apologize–you presume to know far more about than you possibly could.

Among the things that contribute to the doubts I have about becoming Catholic are the arrogance and triumphalism that I see directed at the Orthodox by Catholics. The remarks you made in your previous post seemed somewhat triumphalistic to me.

I blame no one for the choice I made, and you are in no position to lecture me about accountability, and you certainly are in no position to reach a conclusion that I am in need of counseling. As to your remarks about my becoming muslim had I fallen in love with a muslim woman, that is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

The cold truth often has that effect. How about you start relating about those doubts you mention yet haven’t said a word about.

With your theology degree your should be able to articulate well in this area. You are “silent” on that.

And again you want to blame others for your own dilemma who are not here. Does that make sense?

I repeat “counselor or a priest.”

“She told me that she was unwilling to leave the Catholic Church, but that she was willing to worship at an Eastern Catholic parish and to raise any children we might have as Eastern Catholic, so I agreed to becoming Eastern Catholic.”

What does this mean from your theological point of view?

As I previously stated, I blame no one–other than myself–for the choice I made to become Catholic. I repeat, you presume far too much.

Ryan I like you but your way out of line on this one. You bought this into play then become insulted and want to insult me when I question you on it? My education suggests this is a red flag.

“She told me that she was unwilling to leave the Catholic Church, but that she was willing to worship at an Eastern Catholic parish and to raise any children we might have as Eastern Catholic, so I agreed to becoming Eastern Catholic.”

What does this mean from your theological point of view?

Ryan - what were you before becoming Eastern Catholic?

You are the one who has resorted to insults.

I owe you no explanation as to why I have doubts about the choice I made to become Catholic. Really, I owe no explanation about this to anyone, other than God and my wife.

As far as the sentence of mine you quoted, the decision I made to convert was largely for the sake of unity within my family.

OCA, but for most of my life I was Protestant.

I actually went the other way, from Rome to Russia. Had there been an EC church within a reasonable distance I probably would have stayed Catholic.

I live in a very small town where I feel like an outsider in the one parish. It’s like “how dare you set foot in our church you ******” The mass here is not in English, but not Latin either. I feel for the pastor, he has no time for anyone at all.

Then why did you post and on this thread and say you had doubts? So the first who comes along and questions it you could jump down their throat? To project your doubts on others as a “BEWARE OF CATHOLICISM” sign?

You have not a single valid reason you related about here,NONE. And as astonishing as this is you see nothing wrong with this.

What are your regrets Ryan “exactly”. Lets get to the POINT!!!

What are your regrets Ryan “exactly”. Lets get to the POINT!!!

I have valid reasons, and for now, I don’t care to discuss them on this Forum. What makes you think you are entitled to know the details of what I choose to keep private?

We seem to be in a similar situation. My wife is Catholic, and we’ve been married for about 15 months now. I was also Protestant (Lutheran) before converting to Orthodoxy in the Antiochian Church. We used to attend each other’s services on alternating Sundays until my wife heard some anti-Catholic comments by our priest and members of the parish, and she refused to go back. We joined a new Western Rite mission after that, and have been attending there most Sundays since I became an altar server. She has no interest in becoming Orthodox however, and I’ve never thought it necessary for her to. What concerns me is that she has an obligation to attend Mass each week that she isn’t fulfilling. She isn’t concerned about this, but I am since I have a responsibility for her spiritual wellbeing as her husband. I’m considering Catholicism because of this situation, and studying and dialoguing with a great group of Catholic theology majors. My biggest stumbling block is choosing a potential parish. We have many Catholic parishes here in St. Louis, and some are quite good. I would be most comfortable in an Extraordinary Form parish, and we have two, but my wife feels the Latin is a barrier for her. My other options would be a small Ruthenian mission, or a good Ordinary Form parish. I love western liturgy and patrimony, and I know she would be more comfortable at an Ordinary Form parish so I’m leaning that direction. I struggle with the Ordinary form however, even when it’s celebrated well, so I’m in a perplexing situation. I would never consider doing this if she were not in an apostolic church however. I think your decision was noble, and shows your primary concern for your wife, which is admirable.

I respect that, but then…

Why did you “choose” to “participate” on this thread in a public arena? What was the purpose? Wait, let me guess, to let the world know YOU have doubts about Catholicism. I suggest Catholicism doesn’t seem to be the problem by your dialogue, but you disagree, and don’t want to discuss it further.

Fair enough.

No, Gary, my purpose was not to let the world to know that I have doubts about Catholicism. When I responded to the thread, I merely wrote was on my mind at the time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.