Any David Sedaris Fans out there?

Reading his book, When You are Engulfed in Flames. Also have read his book, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

I think he’s hilarious. Seems to use foul language in some of his stories, but I don’t think he uses it just to be shocking.

Any opinions or comments?

I am. I find him incisive and hysterical. As a writer, he reminds me a lot of some of the really great American humorists, especially Dorothy Parker. Sedaris certainly would have been very much at home amongst the legendary Algonquin Roundtable of the 1930s.

Thanks for the response, I can’t believe more didn’t respond. His funniest stories, I think, are the ones about his childhood and his siblings…his sister, Amy, shows up on Letterman once in a while…

I’ve read “Me Talk Pretty One Day” and enjoyed it very much.

The chapter “Jesus Shaves” may be the most hysterical thing I’ve ever read. I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe :smiley:

I am reading his latest I got from the library. Some of his stuff is okay, funny, but when you hit the right stuff, he’s very hysterical. There are times I had to put the book down because I was laughing so much… My wife keeps telling me she needs to read it next…:slight_smile:

Well, most CAF members probably don’t listen to much public radio, so may have no idea who Sedaris is. I haven’t read any of his books, but his commentaries on This American Life or All Things Considered have never failed to make me laugh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.