Any girls who love scifi / fantasy out there?

I know it's a little weird for me too. I'm a girl who loves my scifi. Not only that but weird scifi like Farscape, Babylon 5 or Forever Knight. No Dr. Who, Red Drawf or Firefly though.

You’re my twin!!! LOL! I don’t know Forever Knight, but B5 and Farscape are the best sci-fi shows ever written, IMNSHO.

I do, but not in the sense men usually mean it. I don't like Lord of the Rings, or anything that has to do with knights and swords and kingdoms and stuff. the only exceptionm to that is Code geass, which is set in a modern society. I don't like elves or trolls or ogres. I prefer urban fantasy, or steampunk.

ME!!! I do I do I do!!!

I enjoy scifi/fantasy and I really have no preference. I enjoy all the shows you mentioned and more. :) Usually, so long as it takes me out of current reality and into a fantasy world I'm content.

I very much enjoyed Firefly! I'm surprised you disliked it. It reminded me of Cowboy Bebop which was my favorite cartoon when I was younger. :thumbsup:

I also enjoy Lord of the Rings (the movies WAY more then the books though).

I think the only fantasy that I have little tolerance for is fantasy involving werewolves and vampires. This is probably because it's over-saturated the market right now and I'm just tired of it.

Me, too. I was steampunk before the term was invented. Been into Sci-Fi since 1964, when I first saw the original Robinson Crusoe On Mars. Been into hard science since 1958, when my father became a real rocket scientist with NASA. I also like some fantasy.

I am a big fantasy girl. Knights, wizards, and dragons galore. :D (Really enjoyed FFX)

Not that big into sci-fi novels,but I really enjoy Star Trek Voyager and Next Generation, and Firefly was good.

Don't tell anyone!!!

great, possible “daughters-in-law” for my gamer, anime, sci-fi, fantasy, fanfiction, college educated son. What? a mother can dream…:smiley:

Not me, thank you anyway! I have waaaay too many grandchildren to be your DIL.

However, you just described my college student son. :smiley:

I do. I like Sci Fi like Dune and the X Files. I like Fantasy more though. Besides Catholic books, I pretty much only read Fantasy. I read stuff like the Song of Fire and Ice series, Carol Berg, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie and Patrick Rothfuss. I liked the Lord of the Rings movies way more than the books too.

Me too! I love most of the above. I was raised on Asimov, LeQuin, Verne, Philip K. Dick, etc. For thirty years I've been a fan of "Dr. Who," "Blake's 7," "Space:1999," etc. Love "Firefly," "Babylon 5," etc. Really enjoying "A Game of Thrones."

I have a nice collection of books that include the above authors and the following: Michael Moorcock, James Tiptree Jr., Joanna Russ, Octavia Butler, Tim Powers, Spider Robinson, Neal Stephenson, China Miéville, Arthur C. Clarke, Phillis Eisenstein, Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Orson Scott Card, Frank Herbert, George RR Martin, George Orwell, Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, Robert Jordan, William Gibson, Alan Moore, Kurt Vonnegut, Shelley/Stoker/Stevenson, Anthony Burgess, Heinlein, Walter M. Miller Jr., Fritz Leiber, Wells, Roger Zelazny, David Eddings, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Larry Niven, Carl Sagan, Dan Simmons, Peter Beagle, Joe Haldeman, Lois Bujold, Terry Pratchett, Terry Goodkind, Susanna Clarke, Cormac McCarthy, Richard Matheson, Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks, Robert E. Howard, Lovecraft, Salvatore, Iain M Banks, Gene Wolfe, Robin McKinley, Kim Stanley Robinson, Kim Newman, Connie Willis, Piers Anthony, CS Lewis... I've left out a bunch but that's a nice start! Great stuff there.;)

Glad to know I’m not the only one out there. Men are often surprised that I like it. My current boyfriend unfortunately doesn’t care much for it but he’s willing to watch it if it makes me happy. I’ve never seen but a little of of Firefly so it’s not so much that I don’t like it but that it’s not familiar to me. I never got into Star Trek, X Files or some of the other main stream scifi but do like Stargate SG-1. I’m more on the tech side when it comes to scifi and don’t really care for Lord of the Rings…way to serious but do like Dune with I consider to me a sort of scifi Lord of the Rings in a way.

I don’t know if I’m really into fantasy in general but I’m a big LOTR fan :smiley:

I support this thread!

Fantasy, well written sci-fi, good comedy dramas (Gilmore Girls, Bride Wars, Devil wears Prada type comedies) and Natgeo documentaries on the universe and outer space represent the only reason I ever look at the TV- ;)

Here are my general favorites:

LOTRings, Willow, Star Wars, King Kong, Merlin (the one with Jeremy Irons as Merlin) clash of the titans, The super-cool 1980's Indian series Ramayan, Dunes, The Matrix, Spider-man, The X-men, Super-man, Batman begins and The Dark Knight, Hancock (Hilarious!! :D), The Incredibles,The Hulk (The first one); Basically, almost all super-hero movies except Daredevil, Cat-woman and the one where Jennifer Ganner is some type of ninja/assassin heroine with some weird villains one of whom had tattoos of animals that would come alive- forgot the name; Shrek, Tangled (one of my all time favorite cartoons and movies ever!! :D); X-files, Fringe, The Twilight zone and all its "sisters"; I used to like Charmed in its first three seasons (I know!!! Don't bite me!); Bewitched with Nicole Kidman, Legend of the seeker- But only some episodes- too much borrowing from LOTR in others, IMO. I'm sure I will Love the Hobbit next year when it's released- :D. I liked the first season of Rosewell- I'm convinced that Stephanie Meyer unwittingly borrowed twilight from it. Have only seen one Twilight movie- not all that impressed. I liked the First Harry Potter Movie- couldn't stand the rest, Disaster movies like Armageddon, and 2012 are great too. Also, 300, Troy- minus the excessive nudity and The first Pirates of the Caribbean were great.

Overall Absolute favorites:-

[LIST]
*]LOTR (Best thing ever to grace Hollywood)
*]Willow- Pure magic
*]The Return of the Jedi (Star Wars)- As a child, I can't explain how this particular movie, Willow and Ramayan affected me.
*]Ramayan (1980s version)
*]King Kong
*]The Hobbit (2012)- I just know it will make it to my List so I'm just gonna go ahead and place it here. :D
*]Tangled
*]The first Spider man
*]The Matrix - The first one for the wonderful story and the second one (Reloaded) coz of the fantastic freeway battle/gymnastics action, though they butchered the story here and onwards.
[/LIST]
Thanks for letting me share my love for these movies despite my ripe old age of 27 (going soon on 28) :blush:. But what can I say? I'm a nerd, and I love it! :p

Tangled was pure GENIUS.

But Willow… ah Willow… that show TERRIFIES me. The little people in that movie… they scare me so much. :frowning: Everyone thinks it’s so amusing but they give me nightmares.

I liked Charmed and Angel and Buffy. Angel and Buffy are miles better than Charmed though.
I loved Willow when I was growing up. Especially Mad Martigan. 'Help! There’s a peck here with an acorn pointed at me!'
I think Tangled was great!
I’m so into scifi and fantasy anime. Darker Than Black, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fruits Basket…so many awesome shows.

Have any of you ladies read Jim Butcher’s books? I’ve been reading the Harry Dresden Files and am now starting his Alera Codex series.:thumbsup:

Haha! :smiley: I love the little “lizards” in Willow-:stuck_out_tongue: I thought as a child that they were hilarious!!!

As a kid, I think Willow was my first “fantasy experience”, besides cartoons along with Ramayan and the Return of the Jedi. We had no VCR (obviously not even the concept of the DVD had entered our minds in those days ;)). They were shown on TV during the Holidays as special treats- and special they were, my friend!

Tangled is just what modern cartoons should be!!! I was not looking forward to such a beautiful experience when I got it, I assure you. Presenting that kind of fairy tale in such a beautiful, moving way with just the right amount of comedy that does not take away from the depth, tragedy, adventure and sadness- I regretted how short it was because it was so grown up!!

Others I forgot to mention are Pan’s labyrinth and Beowulf! The monsters depicted there were simply from my worst and most twisted night-mares!!! That thing that was blind except with the eyes in its hands that ate children who ate from its table in Pan’s labyrinth and Angelina Jolie’s first child-monster in the first part of Beowulf were positively night-marish!! I had this thought both times, after watching the incident in Pan’s labyrinth where the main character almost gets eaten by that thing and the monster in Beowulf chewing that guy’s head: This must be the most precise capturing of the word ‘monster’ ever attempted by Holly-wood/movie-makers! Give me a ware-wolf any day, my friend, than either of those things: The eye-in-hand, child-eating monster of Pan’s Labyrinth; or Jolie’s inside-out (he looked), man-eating child in Beowulf.

Oh, yes- The cartoon Samurai Jack was still wonderful the last time I watched it- more than three years ago :D.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.