Any good, Catholic articles explaining difference between Moral vs. Legal law in OT?

Any good, Catholic articles explaining difference between Moral vs. Legal/Ceremonial/Disciplinary law in the Old Testament? Something that would explain how something like murder is still upheld as a law, whereas not eating shellfish is not.

(of course, this comes up by confused people trying to defend homosexuality on the grounds that since Leviticus prohibits homosexuality and shellfish, we can accept homosexuality if we accept eating shellfish)

I don’t know that this is exactly what you’re looking for in light of the article’s rather narrow focus, but I think it is helpful in shedding some light on this question:

What Laws Were Not Good: A Canonical Approach to the Theological Problem of Ezekiel 20:25-26 by Dr. Scott Hahn and Dr. John Bergsma

It’s more of an academic article than an apologetics one. So some translation might be necessary if using the contents in ordinary discussion. :slight_smile:

catholic.com/magazine/articles/why-we-are-not-bound-by-everything-in-the-old-law

Thank you – a fascinating article by two good professors, but I probably couldn’t forward that for this purpose. It might intimidate and confuse. :slight_smile:

I need one of those Catholic.com tracts!!! I want to say Jimmy Akin had a good paragraph or two from The Salvation Controversy. Maybe I need to get the ebook and keyword search it…

Winner!!! :o

Oh well, I guess I’ll settle for second place this time. :stuck_out_tongue:

You won the quickest response category. :slight_smile:

:smiley: Thanks. I will humbly and graciously accept that consolation prize.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.