Any good Christian metal bands?

Yeah i didn’t see it as a problem though since he was a Christian when they were a active band. He became a Atheist when they split.

and Flyleaf! their lyrics are awesome! if their regular songs are too heavy for you, they also have acoustic versions.

Scott

They had that one song from Live Free or Diehard and thats the heaviest song I’ve heard from them.

Yeah you could probably go for Megadeth some of their album art is questionable and there music is politically charged but they leave religion and religious issues well enough alone in their music. Yeah i really miss Slayer sometimes (I had every single one of their albums) and every now and then im tempted just to start listening to them again but like you said before I can’t listen to a band that mocks The Lord like they do.

Megadeth rules, I have Rust in Peace, it’s not as consistent as an early Metallica album (before they got mediocre with Load and Reload, and just plain terrible with St.Anger, but there new album is actually really good except for the terrible amount of compression.) But its got some really good songs on it. Not to mention Dave Mustaine is a Christian now. Not a Catholic, but A Christian nontheless. I really respect him for refusing to play with a satanic band.

Yeah it’s like they woke up one day and decided they were going to suck all of a sudden shockingly though there is a large number of people who like it (No Lars you can’t have your Snare Drum back!)

Not to mention Dave Mustaine is a Christian now. Not a Catholic, but A Christian nonetheless. I really respect him for refusing to play with a satanic band.

Yeah i do to i really only got turned on to them a few years ago but i’ve been a solid listener since then

Yeah, it sounds like nu metal. And it like, lets bang the drums even louder! That automatically makes it good! the snare sounds like a trash can lid inside a dumpster, seriosuly. The lyrics are stupid, the riffs are really simple, and theres no solos. The song parts don’t flow, usually it’s like they just crash into each other. It sounds like they just started playing random stuff and everyone fell in and they did that a few times and called it an album. They make it sound like the faster it is, and the harder they pound on the drums, the better it is. Not to mention, all the guitars do half the time is play exactly what the drums are, and you can’t hear the bass. Like I said, it sounds like they were trying to appeal to the nu metal market. It failed. It seems they had to hit rock bottom before they realize they were losing fans. but the newest album is really good, but the conpression is unbeleivable and makes it almost unlistinable. And I’m thinking of getting some of Megadeth’s new albums. But has anyone found any bands?

I would try Stryper, their an 80s hair band but pretty metal in the 80s style anyway. I say listen to whatever you want. Just because I listen to Marilyn Manson does not mean I agree with his lyrics or want to carve things into my arm (no offense to cutters out there, i know it is a sensive subject). As long as you don’t take anything toooo seriously listen to your screamo, death-metal, doom-metal, black-metal, thrash, goth, shock rock, speed metal…

Joe5859 wrote:

I understand your skepticism of Christian metal bands. Sadly, many Christian bands are pale imitations of their secular counterparts. That being said, there definitely are some great Christian bands that simply write great music.

Actually, what I meant was that “good” metal band is an oxymoron. As much as it seems impossible, “Christian metal” is even worse than the secular stuff. That being said, I like Christian music: Mozart, for example.

As for rock, try Chicago Transit Authority, or Moby Grape’s first album.

Ishii

:thumbsup: of approval! :stuck_out_tongue:

Chicago’s songs generally don’t have morally problematic lyrics. Mostly sappy love songs, and some more political songs in their early days. As for their music, their early songs were more energetic and complex (I really like their first album), but there only a few songs they wrote after the 70s that I enjoy listening to.

My comment was directed towards the OP stating that it seemed most Christian metal was mediocre at best. I knew what you meant in your post. :wink:

If you want think that a “good” metal band is an oxymoron, you can go ahead. I respectfully disagree.

Metal is ‘by far’ my favorite type of music. I also like classical music. My ears are quite opposed to pop, country, rap, hip-hop, etc. That’s the way God made me.

While I certainly have my favorite metal bands, I’ll refrain from mentioning them here. I can do without someone going through the song titles or lyrics, taking something out of context, and then telling me I’m a bad person for listening to it. And yes, I do avoid those bands that are openly anti-religious.

I like old country music. I can’t stand pop.

Hm, when it comes to pop, I tend to like the progressive bands that wrote pop music in the 80s the most. And I like really old country a lot better than what’s on the radio these days. :stuck_out_tongue:

CTA1967 wrote:

*Chicago’s songs generally don’t have morally problematic lyrics. Mostly sappy love songs, and some more political songs in their early days. As for their music, their early songs were more energetic and complex (I really like their first album), but there only a few songs they wrote after the 70s that I enjoy listening to. *

One of the big mysteries to me is how/why Chicago went from being a great rock band with horns to being a soft rock outfit for Peter Cetera, and this happened way before Terry Kath died. To think they had three good singer songwriters and every member was a top rate musician, it boggles the mind what they ended up becoming after their third album. How could the same band that did “Liberation” also have done “You’re the inspiration” ?

Joe5859 wrote:

If you want think that a “good” metal band is an oxymoron, you can go ahead. I respectfully disagree.

The thing is, I like hard rock and all. I just never really liked metal - couldn’t get past all the spandex, metal hair and lack of originality among the more famous metal bands. I guess I like one metal band: Spinal Tap. Alas, they were making fun of the genre. That said, I have a lot of good friends who like metal and I don’t hold that against them, necessarily. Then again, I have friends that like Abba and the Carpenters.

Ishii

Your probably talking about glam metal, which tends to lean more to the hard rock side than metal. Most metal bands don’t wear spandex or makeup.

I’m glad you won’t hold it against me if I like metal. :wink:

You should try Dream Theater. No spandex and they have originality in spades. :slight_smile: My favorite song of theirs is the 23 minute A Change of Seasons.

I reviewd Dream theaters “masterpeice” album. It wasn’t great, I gave it a 6 out of 10. they can’t write a song, the jams were impressive, but the flash gets old quick.

Say it ain’t so! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

They’re certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, but I enjoy them immensely. I never get tired of the “flash”. :wink: I would say that it does usually take several listens for me to appreciate their stuff. As most of their songs don’t conform to traditional song structures, it sometimes takes a while before you start to hear what they’re doing.

“A Change of Seasons” is more on the mellow end of their offerings. There more recent stuff has gotten a bit heavier, IMO (if that makes a difference). :shrug:

Actually I reviewed Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.