Any good fantasy book?

I'm trying to find some good fantasy books. I'm a teenager, but I dislike romance. I want something that has adventure and excitment. Most books with adventure is more oriented for children, but I want something that isn't too easy to read. Any suggestions? I would prefer a book for "young adults" but if you have any children's or adult books that are really good, I wouldn't mind. :)

Thanks

Do you read George McDonald? A wonderful writer that sadly, no one reads anymore.

CS Lewis, (I think you might have heard about him...;) ) aside from the brilliant and legendary Narnia, also wrote a sci-fi series. I haven't read it, but I heard it's great. Brian Jaques (Redwall) is also a great writer.

I second the opinion about Brian Jacques’ Redwall series (especially the early books). If you like this, you may also like Watership Down by Richard Adams

If you like high fantasy and haven't been jaded by the movies, Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings is a must read. You may also want to try The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

If you are looking for classic adventure, try the Howard Pyle versions of King Arthur and Robin Hood. They were written for young adults and are very adventurous. The older language actually transports you to a different era.

If you like your adventure a bit more on the historical side, may I suggest The King’s Swift Rider by Hunter or Red Hugh by Reilly. Both are very catholic too.

Read the reviews for the above on Amazon and let me know what I hit or missed; I may have other suggestions.

A friend lent me her copy of Lord Darcy by Randall Garrett. It's an alternate-universe premise, where (quoting the back cover) "Richard Lionheart did not die in the year 1199, but went on to found the mightiest empire in history . . . where magic is a science and science is an art"

It's a compilation of several detective stories -- CSI like except instead of things like DNA evidence, they trace back the sorcery that was performed.

It's also Catholic in setting, since the Reformation didn't take place.

All in all, fun and fascinating.

Although secular in nature, I enjoyed the Dragonriders of Pern series. There's some good stuff in them, although it's not great literature by any means.

Also, C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength. There are beautiful mythological elements in all three.

Modern Fantasy, George R.R. Martin is incredible, especially the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Then there is Tad Williams incredible series Memory sorrow and thorn (I think... The first novel is the Dragonbone Chair anyway). His Otherland series is awesome too.

Robert Jordan's wheel of time series.

Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series starts out very strong, but ends weak. Worth reading the first trilogy though.

Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara Series. Actually, most of his work is good but you might have to struggle through a couple... But definitely read the landover series.

Terry Pratchet is good.

Ursula K. LeGuin has a really old series (Something to do with Tiers in the title...) that are good, but theologically awful.

Ummm... The work Ouroboros is a wonderful old fantasy novel (supposedly the one that started the genre...)

There are TONS of good Fantasy novels. But be aware that there are almost no good fantasy novels for theology. I have read thousands of these books (quite literally) and have never found one that teaches anything approaching good theology outside of Tolkien and Lewis. So be aware of that. Remember the old adage "garbage in garbage out". I continue with this genre because I fell in love with it as a child, and I read a lot of theology to counteract the new-age, modernistic, relativistic, and neo-pagan themes that run through much if this genre.

FSC

EDIT: I second the "Dragonriders of Pern" series. Mcaffrey is awesome, and her depiction of the dragons fighting thread tend to be wonderful.

And C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy is very, very, very well done. Very. Did I mention that it was good yet? Cause its good. But its short. Only complaint is that you can read through the entire series almost in one sitting. But it is incredible.

I really enjoyed Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles of Amber'.

The story is good and the characters intriguing, especially the main protagonist whose development from a tough fighter to something like a hero is excellent.

I'm not a fantasy fan but these books got me hooked.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:7, topic:206964"]
I really enjoyed Roger Zelazny's 'Chronicles of Amber'.

The story is good and the characters intriguing, especially the main protagonist whose development from a tough fighter to something like a hero is excellent.

I'm not a fantasy fan but these books got me hooked.

[/quote]

Oh man, how did I forget that?!?!?! This thread rocks...

Also, there's my own poor offering: Eagle Mountain. It was written for age 12 and up.

Thanks everyone! I will certainley take a look at most of, if not all of the the books suggested.

If you would like more elaboration on what I have in mind:
I do like books that are magical (i.e. Narnia/Harry Potter.) I'm also a big history nerd, so I do like "historical fantasy", as they call it. Since I'm thinking about wriitng some stories myself set during the crusades, I wouldn't mind something set in that time.
Oh and and if they're Catholic..that wouldn't be a bad thing either! :p

Oh and I recommend myself George Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire." It can be a bit...explicit shall we say, but the story really pulls you in.

Lord of the Rings. That is all. :D (it's my favourite novel).

If you like the historical/adventure stuff, then you might take a look at Bernard Cornwell. He's got a couple distinct series on the go (1 set during the American Civil War, 1 during the Viking invasion of England, 1 during the Hundred Years' War, and of course the Sharpe series during the Napoleonic War). He's only authors I've read that does a good job with religion. It's not irrelevant, but it's not overwhelming. It's a distinct part of a character, but it's like a real life person where they also have other motives. It's just a normal part of the character. It's sort of not the usual patriotic history either; he takes shots at both sides and then will show both sides in a glowing light (like he'll make you want to empathize with both sides of the Civil War, and then he'll make you hate both of them. No strawmen were hurt in the writing of these novels :p).

I once read a book set during the Crusades called The Jester by James Patterson. It was a fairly dark book.

Lord of the Rings:)

Lord of the Rings. That is all. (it's my favourite novel).

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:12, topic:206964"]
Lord of the Rings:)

[/quote]

I've read it, but now that you suggest it, I think I'll go reread them :D.

[quote="Della, post:9, topic:206964"]
Also, there's my own poor offering: Eagle Mountain. It was written for age 12 and up.

[/quote]

By "your own poor offering" did you mean you wrote it??? I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that and you didn't write it:p, but thats pretty cool...I just had to say that. :D And I'm sure its not poor at all:)

I love the Inkheart books by Cornelia Funke. They are technically children's books, but not super easy. She has a couple other books that are pretty good too.

[quote="Flame4, post:14, topic:206964"]
By "your own poor offering" did you mean you wrote it??? I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that and you didn't write it:p, but thats pretty cool...I just had to say that. :D And I'm sure its not poor at all:)

[/quote]

Yup, guilty as charged. I say "poor words" because I'm no Tolkien or Lewis, and because after I finish the sequel, I'm going to go back over it and correct the writing--I did it before I'd joined a writers group and learned to write a bit better.

I have to add my endorsement of Lord of the Rings. I see you've read it, Flame4, but rereading it definitely a good idea. It's quite mature, rich with Catholic imagery, and was written from Tolkien's Catholic world view. It was one of the things that brought me into the Church from a Pentecostal background. In fact, I rather think of my life as "pre and post" reading it.

[quote="Della, post:16, topic:206964"]
Yup, guilty as charged. I say "poor words" because I'm no Tolkien or Lewis, and because after I finish the sequel, I'm going to go back over it and correct the writing--I did it before I'd joined a writers group and learned to write a bit better.

I have to add my endorsement of Lord of the Rings. I see you've read it, Flame4, but rereading it definitely a good idea. It's quite mature, rich with Catholic imagery, and was written from Tolkien's Catholic world view. It was one of the things that brought me into the Church from a Pentecostal background. In fact, I rather think of my life as "pre and post" reading it.

[/quote]

Wether it compares to Tolkien is irrelevant. You have completed a whole story and had it published! Thats an amazing feat that I have yet to accomplish and may never will.

Yes, I dont think you can read Lord of the Rings enough. You pick up new things each time.
Have you read other books by Tolkien? The Silmarillion is a favorite of mine. It is written in a biblical style. Its rich with interesting idea, though it isn't meant to be read like a story as the Lord of the Rings is.

My birthday is soon. Guess what I'm going to do with my b-day money and gift cards? Yup, buy books!!

I second the Inkheart trilogy. I love trying to pick out the literary references sprinkled throughout.

Have you tried the Chronicles of Chaos by John C. Wright? They are excellent science fiction/fantasy that draw heavily on Greek mythology.

Do you like science fiction at all? I'm pretty fond of Timothy Zahn, he's secular, but an amazing sci-fi writer. My personal favorites of his would be Angelmass and The Icarus Hunt. Neither of them are romances.

Blah, it's too late/early to think of any more. I hope these help.

[quote="cheerio_ninja, post:18, topic:206964"]
I second the Inkheart trilogy. I love trying to pick out the literary references sprinkled throughout.

Have you tried the Chronicles of Chaos by John C. Wright? They are excellent science fiction/fantasy that draw heavily on Greek mythology.

Do you like science fiction at all? I'm pretty fond of Timothy Zahn, he's secular, but an amazing sci-fi writer. My personal favorites of his would be Angelmass and The Icarus Hunt. Neither of them are romances.

Blah, it's too late/early to think of any more. I hope these help.

[/quote]

Thank you. I do love Greek Mythology. I'm not huge on sci-fi, but the truth is I havn't read any. It doesn't appeal to me, but maybe I will check out your recommendations :thumbsup:

God Bless

[quote="Flame4, post:17, topic:206964"]
Wether it compares to Tolkien is irrelevant. You have completed a whole story and had it published! Thats an amazing feat that I have yet to accomplish and may never will.

[/quote]

It hasn't sold really well, so I guess that makes me feel like it wasn't such a big deal. It's not at stores, it can only be purchased through an online store, like Amazon, or through me, so that makes sense, though. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Do you write? Do you know about the Catholic Writers Guild? If you write you should check it out.

Yes, I dont think you can read Lord of the Rings enough. You pick up new things each time.
Have you read other books by Tolkien? The Silmarillion is a favorite of mine. It is written in a biblical style. Its rich with interesting idea, though it isn't meant to be read like a story as the Lord of the Rings is.

I agree. I've tackled the Silmarillion--the opening chapter is exquisite--but got a bit lost among the dwarves. LOL! I keep meaning to get back into it--thanks for the reminder. :)

My birthday is soon. Guess what I'm going to do with my b-day money and gift cards? Yup, buy books!!

A happy, blessed birthday to you! I'd do the same. Hope you find some good reads. I also recommend Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis--based on the myth of Psyche and Cupid, and The Great Divorce, Lewis' fantasy about purgatory. Both are spiritually rich and challenging.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.