Any good sci-fi recommendations?

I’m going on a road trip and while I took some advice from the fantasy threads, I’d rather listen to sci-fi.

I’ve read The Mote in God’s Eye by Niven and Pournelle- best sci-fi I’ve ever read! Also read it’s sequel The Gripping Hand.

The Foundation stuff by Asimov.

Hyperion by Simmons

Just off the top of my head.

Thanks!

Raymond Feist has a fantastic selection of book. The Riftwar Saga, The Serpent War Saga, Mistress of the Empire, Conclave of Shadows…I have all of his books and have enjoyed all of them…I’ve read most of them several times…the only one I just can’t seem to get into is Faerie Tale.

Without hesitation I would say that any sci fi aficiando must read the great **Cordwainer Smith **(aka Paul Linebarger). His short stories are now available in The Rediscovery of Man and his novel Norstillia has been re-edited and re-published. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can rival his vision, his writing and his substance . Not Asimov, Not Herbert, Not Clarke, Not anyone. CASE CLOSED!. If you get these two volumes, you might as well get the Concordance to Cordwainer Smith by Anthony R. Lewis (3rd edition). All are available on Amazon.com and are published by NESFA Press.

Read the short stories first before reading Norstrillia.

how about Anne Mccaffery.dragonriders series.
Fred Saberhagen Sword series(sci fi fanatsy)
Everything by Frank Herbert.
Kevin j. Anderson (Saga of the Seven Suns)
There is plenty out to choose from at your local bookstore.:cool:

Given your tastes, you’d probably love Ray Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles.

As far as Asimov goes, if you’ve read the Foundation series you’ve still got the Empire and Robot bunch to go. I remember Pebble in the Sky (Empire) and Caves of Steel (Robot) were some of his best long-form work, but the Robot short stories are where he really shines. I used to have The Complete Robot with every one of those – thing was about the size of a cinderblock, don’t know if you can get it anymore. One word of advice, don’t bother with Robots and Empire: he tried to tie everything together neatly and screwed it all up.

For the late, lamented Clarke, Rendezvous with Rama and Rama II are good, but stop there; 2001 and 2010 are great while 2061 is alright and 3001 was tripe (what was it with the old masters completely losing it as they aged?!); Childhood’s End was excellent.

And if you feel like reading something shamelessly pulpy, you could do a whole lot worse than Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Carter of Mars series.

C.S. Lewis wrote a trilogy:
Perelandra, Out ot the Silent Planet, and That Hideous Strength

Robert A. Heinlein:

The Past through Tomorrow (future history stories)

Citizen of the Galaxy

Starship Troopers

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

*Double Star

*Some of these are considered “juveniles” because that’s who they were originally marketed to when written, but don’t let that stop you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.