Any H.P. Lovecraft fans?

Anyone like H.P. Lovecraft? I do!

(There’s some on the forum with a user name that has the word “Cthulhu” in it, and that made me start this thread.)

What’s your favorite story? I like “In the Vault,” although I think it’s kind of juvenile! Who cares!–it’s fun!

I also like “Pickman’s Model.”

what does Cthulhu mean? I know a guy who’s in a band called The Satans, and he goes by that name. I think he’s atheist or something, but he has a different word or series of words for it.

I just read At the Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft and I don’t know what to think about it. It started out great (I wont spoil it if you haven’t read it) but then after about the halfway point it really bogged down and the suspense and horror that Lovercraft had built up during the first half of the novel just went pffffffff. It seemed quite a waste of a great first half of a novel :frowning:

I never really got into the whole Cthulhu Mythos, and felt that I was always missing something while reading the book. Even though it is not a book of any series it seemed like I was supposed to know quite a bit about the Cthulhu Mythos prior to reading it.

I plan on giving Lovecraft another try. Do you recommend In the Vault or is there another that you would recommend?

God bless

I like most of Lovecraft’s stories, but my favorite of his is The Outsider. It’s not a scary story like the others, but much more innocently tragic and beautiful.

phil, Cthulhu is a high priest of the Elder Gods who sleeps in the sunken city of Rl’yeh until the stars are right, when he will awaken and generally mess things up. Also likes to eat people. Looks like a giant green thing with an octopus head.

Roman_Catholic, the place to start with the Mythos is the original Call of Cthulhu. If that’s not your thing, try The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Speaking of Cthulhu, the Ghostbusters cartoon episode ‘The Collect Call of Cthulu’ (yes, misspelled) is wonderful.

Thank you Mirdath I will look into that book.

I am always up to read a good book.

God bless

I would suggest that the best place to start is “Shadow Over Innsmouth.”

It’s a very well-constructed story with a great twisty ending. It’s got the “family curse” plotline that you often see satirized when cartoonists go after Lovecraft! I just love this story. So much fun.

Another good story is “The Colour Out of Space.” This is a wonderful, touching story that anticipates nuclear fallout, radiation poisoning, etc… From what I’ve read, H.P. Lovecraft was an avid reader of scientific journals, and it shows in this story. Very good character development, too. IMO, this story seems like it really happened, and I wonder somtimes if he’s really writing about a family that was excluded due to madness, sexual sin, or something else that caused their small town to reject them. OR…maybe he was writing about himself and his unusual and lonely family situation.

A third good story is “Imprisoned with the Pharoahs,” which was ghost-written by Lovecraft for Harry Houdini!

“In the Vault” is not part of the Cthulhu Mythos. It’s just a fun horror/ghost story. There’s actually an urban myth that is very simliar to this story. I wonder if the myth existed back in the early 20th Century, and if Lovecraft turned it into this story.

I agree about “The Outsider,” although IMO, this story reads more like Poe than Lovecraft. IMO, it doesn’t have the usual “fun” in it that many of Lovecraft’s other stories have. “The Outsider” is truly sad. Again, I wonder if Lovecraft was writing about himself. Is HE the “outsider” in this story? I think so.

For the poster who asked, “Cthulhu” is just a word. It has no association with Satan. “Cthulhu” is the “head god” of the Old Ones. H.P. Lovecraft created a milieu in which the Old Ones (the bad guys!) were defeated eons ago by the Deep Ones (the good guys!), but Old Ones still lurk under the water or underground (especially in basements, cellars, tombs, catacombs, and any other underground areas!) waiting to return and destroy the earth. (Bwoo ha ha!)

Most of the Cthulhu Mythos stories are about forays by various Old Ones back into Earth, mainly when evil misguided humans invite them back. The Old Ones and the evil humans are thwarted or defeated by good humans who often call upon the Deep Ones to help them. A lot of the stories have “near misses”–e.g., in “The Dunwich Horror”, Professor Armitage barely makes it to Dunwich on time to say the spells to stop Wilbur Whateley’s awful twin from eating up everyone in town!

Do these stories sound kind of “fun?” YES! They are fun!!! You cannot take H.P. Lovecraft stories too seriously! You cannot look for a devil in every story, because you won’t find one. Instead, you’ll find a young man who was invalid, lived with his two maiden aunts in New England, and wrote to expand his very small world and make it more exciting. In other words, he let his imagination run wild and free, and had a good time creating wonderful scary creatures and brave heros who overcame these creatures.

H.P. Lovecraft wrote with a twinkle in his eye. He was not trying to spread Satanism, he was just creating a really well-organized “boogey-man world” for kids and grown-up kids like me. His stories make you shiver, but it’s a “fun” shiver, the kind ot thing you do when you see kids dressed in Halloween costumes coming up your sidewalk.

Lovecraft’s use of exaggerated descriptive language makes them somewhat humorous; you find yourself reading wide-eyed, and then you sit up and say, 'Oh, come on now!" Only in Lovecraft stories do you see words like “lugubrious,” “gibbous,” and “ululations.” Great words!

Lovecraft corresponded with several young teenagers who became famous writers, including a teenaged Robert Bloch (author of Psycho). He was kind and encouraging to these young people.

Well, with my user name I’d better be an HPL fan!!! :thumbsup:

I like almost all of his works, some of my favs being Shadow over Innsmouth, Dunwich Horror, The Call of Cthulhu (of course) , The White Ship, Pickmans Model is good. As is Strange case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Unfortunately most of the movies made from his works are pathetic.
And don’t get me started on the pus-filled sore that is Cthulhu Mansion.

To get a good grounding in the Cthulhu Mythos background, I’d recommend “Dagon” (use of that name is the only Mythos connection with actual Biblical entities that I know of, and it is the first Mythos story that HPL wrote) first, then “The Shadow Over Innsmouth”, then “The Call of Cthulhu.”

“The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath” was the first HPL story I ever read. It got me hooked, and I didn’t feel like I had missed any background while reading it. I’d say it has more fantasy than horror aspect to it, and the hero Randolph Carter is a pretty cool guy. Several stories were written about his dream adventures.

Cthulhu is a Great Old One. He sleeps in the sunken city of R’lyeh under the south pacific until “the stars are right” when the elder gods will return and destroy mankind.

Lovecraft was the father of American Horror. People from Block and Derleth to King and Lumley and Koontz admit to being inspired by the master.

Lovecraft also wrote about a book called the Necronomicon which is fictional but got many people thinking it was real. It was written (in the world of HPL) by Abdul Al Hazrad the “mad arab”.
There was a real book called the Necronomicon put out as a mass market paperback but it was quite silly.

There was also a small run of a hardback “Necronomicon” which was very nicely produced, but consisted of meaninless scribbles designed to look like Arabic script.

I have held it in my hands, at the library of Northern Illinois University. Not quite Miskatonic, but it was a thrill nonetheless.

It must have been a fake, because I am still quite sane. (Don’t believe anyone who tells you otherwise!)

http://septor.name/colby/pics/cthulhu.jpg

Uh, I’m not sure that scripture in your signature goes with the picture.

Cast you cares on Cthulhu…or something like that

Ia, ia, Cthulhu fthagn! Long live the Cthulhu Mythos!

And now a writer has taken up the story of the writing of the Necronomicon by Alhazred.

amazon.com/Alhazred-Author-Necronomicon-Donald-Tyson/dp/0738708925/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232063926&sr=1-1

Not for the squeamish but definitely a part of the Mythos. Including a new Dunwich Horror movie currently in production…now if they’d only get it right.

The best way for them to do the movie is to simply follow the story exactly as Lovecraft wrote it. It’s when they start adding romances and subplots and additional characters and different monsters that the movies fall apart.

The best way for them to do the movie is to simply follow the story exactly as Lovecraft wrote it.

Has there ever been a book-to-movie adaptation that has been able to do this?

It seems to be the nature of Hollywood to want to put their own spins on things.

God bless

I have enjoyed many of Lovecraft’s stories and especially the work of his “followers” such as Brian Lumley, whose Titus Crow books and Dreamlands series are direct descendants of HPL’s mythos stories.

I even listen to the Cthulhu podcast, available on iTunes, which includes readings of HPL stories as well as other authors in the genre. Most recently they did a 14 part series of readings of “The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath” which was very well done. The podcast also presents historical background and music from 1920s, the time in which Lovecraft lived and wrote much of his work. For HPL fans, I would recommend a listen to this podcast.

Several of the Dan Curtis horror movie made-for-TV adaptations were very faithful to the stories. Here is a link:

amazon.com/Curtis-Macabre-Collection-Dracula-Picture/dp/B000060MVF

But Curtis’ Dracula doesn’t follow the book, although it comes closer than other films. My dream is for a CHRISTIAN production company to do this story as Bram Stoker wrote it (at least, on the surface)–as a “heroic quest” with Christians vs. Satan. I personally believe that Stoker actually intended to poke fun of Christianity in Dracula. But a one-time reading will give the reader a true adventure in which Christian people take on evil incarnate, and win. That would be an awesome film, IMO, and a message that we truly need to see in this day and age.

The problem is that they never do that and haven’t done that all along. One need only look at a similar mythos from the same period. Has Conan or Kull been treated on the screen as in the books?

I remember seeing back in the 80s that Ray Harryhausen was working on a Cthulhu movie. Nothing came of it.

I love Brian Lumley’s Waymphiri and Necroscope series.

If Hollywood can’t treat Conan correctly…

holy shamplooshi!!! i love hp lovecraft!!! he is my favorite horror authur. my favrite storie is “herbert west; re-animator” ive read some of his poems as well and find it much to my liking. he leaves alot to the imagination so your mind can really run away with the story. i aslo love the one about the mole people(i cant recall the title right now). he is so great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.