Any jazz fans here?

I’m a fan of the old stuff (Ellington, Basie, Reinhardt) and the relatively new (Holland, Pass, Pastorius, McLaughlin). I play bass myself but not professionally.

I listen to music of all kinds but jazz is my passion. I can’t list all of my favorites but Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Mimi Fox, and Gabor Szabo are high on my play list. You can probably guess that guitar is my ax. I have been working on jazz guitar for about two years and am good enough to impress my family since they don’t know a thing about jazz.

Singers I like include Ann Hampton Calloway, Annie Ross, Diane Krall, Tierney Sutton, Dianne Schuur and of course Ella.

Joe Pass is quite magnificent. There’s several videos of him performing with NHOP on YouTube.

I was born and raised in New Orleans. I like Dixieland but I grew up hearing my grandmother play ragtime on the parlor piano. And prior to that was Louis M. Gottschalk - the roots of jazz. The jazz I know is the jazz of the brass bands of New Orleans.

That being said, the Marsallis family attended the same Catholic Church I did back in the 60s. I like the old jazz musicians. My grandmother’s house in the Irish Channel was right around the corner from the bar at which Pete Fountain and Al Hirt started their march on Mardi Gras day.

Joe Pass is quite magnificent!? This is faint praise indeed! I don’t see how any mere human can play like he can.

Could you recommend some big-band stuff, like Steve Spiegl and Count Basie?

If God wasn’t God, Miles would be. :heaven:

Unusually for somebody with - I joke not - hundreds of Jazz albums covering the whole spectrum, I’m female! Fortunately, my husband is a fan, too, wouldn’t have married him otherwise.

Try the Buddy Rich big band CD The New One, It is more contemporary that the great classic bands.

Mercer Elllington (Duke’s son) Digital Duke

Oscillatin’ Rhythm (various bands) a very nice selection of the classic Big Bands and the great songs.

The Diva Jazz Orchestra Something’s Coming a contemporary all woman band that can really swing. They play behind Ann Hampton Calloway (one of the best vocalist today) on some of her recordings.

Count Basie Standards A nice anthology of the best of Basie

It would probably be best to look into boxed sets of the greats like Ellington, Basie, Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, Cab Calloway, The Casa Loma Band, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman (find one with the great Sing, Sing, Sing), Glenn Miller, etc.

For something a little different consider Lambert, Hendricks and Ross for a vocalese version of Basie standars on Sing a Song of Basie.. LHR SING! (with some overdubbing) the great Basie songs. It is a must for any jazz fan.

I love all the oldies: Basie, Ellington, Dorsey, etc.

I really am more of a connoisseur of the female voice, especially those from the 30s-60s whose repertoire included jazz, most notably Edith Piaf, Liane Augustin, Lizzi Waldmüller, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, the Andrews Sisters (Patti, the last living sister, just turned 90!), the Boswell Sisters (and their excellent modern imitators, the Stolen Sweets), and of course, Dame Vera Lynn (also still living).

Cavaille-Coll,
There are some very good contemporary female jazz singers: Try

Ann Hampton Callaway: Blues in the Night
Cheryl Bentyne (she is one of the Manhatten Transfer) Let Me Off Uptown
Cleo Laine Jazz (also has the great sax player Jane Ira Bloom)
Diana Krall **All for You **(tribute to Nat King Cole)
Diane Schuur: DS and Count Basie Band and her homage to Billie Holiday et al. InTribute
Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love
Janis Seigel (also with the Transfer) Friday Night Special
Jeanie Bryson **Some Cats Know **(tribute to Peggy Lee)
Jane Monheit Never Never Land
Karrin Allyson In Blue
Kristin Korb Introducing Kristin Korb (by the way, she plays bass!)
Marilyn Scott Nightcap
Tierney Sutton Something Cool (best version of Route 66 since NKCole)
Patricia Kaas Scene en Vie(She has been described as the modern Edith Piaf but no one is the Sparrow’s heir)
Annie Ross (perhaps the all time best) Music is Forever (Her voice is still good on this recent CD but her best work is with the Lambert Hendricks and Ross vocal group in the 60s and 70s) Try **The Swingers **and Sing a Song of Basie,

Have you listened to Jon Hendrick’s vocal version Freddie Freeloader (on the CD of the same name)? FF is of course from Miles’ Kind of Blue, the greatest jazz album of all time.

I have, actually - have you heard Cassandra Wilson’s ‘Traveling Miles’?

FF is of course from Miles’ Kind of Blue, the greatest jazz album of all time.

Have you heard the ‘speed-corrected’ version? It’s rather weird to hear the affected tracks in ‘correct’ time - my ‘corrected’ copy gets only rare playings, though, truth be told, I rarely play the original, KoB is one of those albums I can play in my head (uncorrected speed, of course)!

HUGE jazz fan.

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charles Mingus
Bird Parker
Lester Young
Harry “Sweets” Edison
Oscar Peterson
T-Monk
Johnny Hodges
Dexter Gordon

Love 'em all … all the greats. My grandfather was best friends with Woody Herman growing up. Woody was one year old and living downstairs in the same house where he (my gramps) was born. Today, that house is a bar. It’s kinda neat going in there, knowing the history, sitting down anonymously and ordering a beer. I always do a silent toast to Gramps when I go there. :slight_smile:

I’m a big Benny Goodman fan.

Nothing wrong with that. I tend to listen to BG to hear Charlie Christian, the great guitarist I gnerally like the small combo BG rather than the big band.

I just got a really good McCoy Tyner CD, Reaching Fourth.

This is the trio with Roy Haynes and Henry Grimes who were not his usual Coltraneites. Still, it sounds like they had been playing together for years.

I think I’ve been a jazz fan since I was little, listening to and loving the music from Vince Guaraldi on Charlie Brown.

Then I came back to it a few years ago when we lived near St. Louis and there was a really good jazz station from Southern Illinois Univ.

I love all kinds of music but Jazz and Blues are my favorites…
Charlie Christian
Charlie Parker
Basie
Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
Lee Ritenour
Louis Amstrong
Thelonious Monk
and believe it or not, Frank Zappa produced a bunch of very good Jazz.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.