Any lay groups?

I was just wondering. All the religous organizations I have heard of were intended for Preists, Monks, Nuns, ect. Are there any out there that don’t require the three vows? Thanks and God bless.

Montie, there are numerous groups within the Church for the laity to become involved with; some of these are:

The Legion of Mary
St. Vincent de Paul Society
Knights of Columbus
Teams of Our Lady
Cursillo
Communion and Liberation
Opus Dei
Regnum Christi
The Blue Army

Another aspect of Catholic life is that of the Secular Orders of the Church. These are composed of men and women, married or single, who join a religious Order - such as the Carmelites, Benedictines, Franciscans, Dominicans - while remaining in the lay state. Members follow a Rule of Life designed to foster that charism of one’s religious Order while living in the world.

I belong to the Pious Union of the Holy Spirit, we are required to do the following daily:

Make an act of contrition

Pray the Chaplet of the Holy Spirit

Wear the Scapular of the Pious Union of the Holy Spirit

And above all show devoution to the Third Person of The Most Holy Trinity :slight_smile:

I am a member of the Militia of the Immaculata, which is an apostolate devoted to the Miraculous Medal that was founded in 1917 by St. Maxamillian Kolbe.

www.consecration.com

-ACEGC

Peace be with you!

My grandpa was a third order Franciscan monk. I’m not sure exactly how vows work with them, but they are able to be married. My dad said that he used to pray his office every day and that he was buried in his brown robes (I never knew him).

In Christ,
Rand

There are “secular orders” which are religious orders for secular folks (ie, ordinary lay people) but grounded in the spirituality of the charism of the Order. For example, there are Carmelites (Order of Carmelites, Discalced - ie, OCD) such as St. Therese (aka, the “Little Flower”) and there are secular Carmelites (OCDS), who live by a modified rule which allows them to live secular (married, etc) lives in secular society, but they still practice Carmelite spiritual practices, devotions, and observations, and they are members of a Community of other professed OCDS members. They may make the same vows of Chastity, Poverty, and Obedience, but they understand Chastity as being chaste within the bounds of sacramental Matrimony.

Many religious Orders have secular counterparts (I know this is also true for Dominicans and Fransiscians, and many others as well).

[quote=DavidFilmer]There are “secular orders” which are religious orders for secular folks (ie, ordinary lay people) but grounded in the spirituality of the charism of the Order. For example, there are Carmelites (Order of Carmelites, Discalced - ie, OCD) such as St. Therese (aka, the “Little Flower”) and there are secular Carmelites (OCDS), who live by a modified rule which allows them to live secular (married, etc) lives in secular society, but they still practice Carmelite spiritual practices, devotions, and observations, and they are members of a Community of other professed OCDS members. They may make the same vows of Chastity, Poverty, and Obedience, but they understand Chastity as being chaste within the bounds of sacramental Matrimony.

[/quote]

David, are you a member of the OCDS in Portland? :slight_smile:

In Christ,
Frances (OCDS)

Aloha,
Even though they were already mentioned, I would have to recommend the Legion of Mary and the Militia Immaculata too.
God bless,
joeysmom :slight_smile:

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was just wondering. All the religous organizations I have heard of were intended for Preists, Monks, Nuns, ect. Are there any out there that don’t require the three vows? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

There are several lay groups. There are orders that are specifically for the non-religious. There are the third order Carmelites and third order Franciscans and other third orders that a person can join. These orders take vows of obedience, and chastity according to your situation in life. They live a life of God in society and do acts of charity. Many of these people are preists and deacons I think, but there are also many that are not.

There is Opus Dei which is a lay organization that helps people to live life in society for God.

Hi all, here’s one I just found out about and has not been mentioned yet–

www.vocations-holyfamily.com

God bless,
christine

[quote=FCEGM]David, are you a member of the OCDS in Portland?
[/quote]

No, but I know several people who are.

I drive over an hour to attend an Opus Dei Evening of Reflection every month in Pittsburgh. You can find out if you have a center locally by EMailing info@opusdei.org or just go to the web site opusdei.org.

I have been to several centers of Opus Dei while on business trips and they are always filled with 20 - 40 something people that are generally enthused about their faith. The embarrassing part is that the only members that are interested in Catholic Apologetics are the former Protestants… What’s wrong with us Cradle Catholics??? LOL!!!

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was just wondering. All the religous organizations I have heard of were intended for Preists, Monks, Nuns, ect. Are there any out there that don’t require the three vows? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Communion and Liberation (www.clonline.org)

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=53876&highlight=communion+liberation
:slight_smile:

[/quote]

legionofmary.org/

The Neo-Catechumenal Way is another

Info on third orders

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_order

With links.

Kevin,O.SS.T.,Ter.

Trinitiarian Tertiaries have three private vows

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.