Any new Catholic translations

Aside from the revision to the New Jerusalem Bible, are any other new English Bible translations in development? I’m talking about Catholic versions.

The only one I know of on this vein is the Navarre Bible, but that is essentially a commentary on the RSV. I’d like to get ahold of the set but its about as far out of my price range as Paris is from Beijing on foot. But other than that, sorry I haven’t heard of any.

Found this…
newamplifieddouayrheims.com/

The Evangelical Catholic Study Bible aka The New Amplified Douay Rheims

Actually I was hoping for something written in 21st century English, not a Catholic version of KJV-Only.

here are a couple

RSVCE … (the second edition by Ignatius is new)

Albahouse also has the Alba House Gospels and and also the New Testament (the colors on this last one are not pleasing to me…but the Gospels is nice…but it is not my favorite translaton…RSV in its various forms is)

The likelihood of a strict Catholic-only translation is extremely slim in today’s increasingly ecumenical climate. The only group of Catholics who would attempt such would be traditionalist conservative types, and not only do I doubt their ability to produce enough resources but their prejudice for Latin and the Douay-Rheims translation would make such an effort futile to begin with.

Protestants continue to produce the best translations, without a doubt, with Protestant publishing houses producing high-quality Bibles. It’s a shame that Catholic fear and prejudice make it such that many will never own anything but a Douay-Rheims, an NAB and, of course, the vaunted RSV-CE – an okay translation, but the freshest breath of air for Catholics in decades.

Thanks but what I’m looking for is anything that is currently being worked on; not anything that has already been published.

To be honest I wouldn’t have a problem with an ecumenically produced translation as long as it had the complete OT with the deuteros where they should be. Of course it was have to be accurate.

I like the ESV and have the edition with the deuteros although they are in a separate section. I find it to be an excellent translation.

I’d be happy to get a New American with Psalms approved by Rome, the current ones aren’t, and a set of notes that rival the original Jerusalem Bible instead of those offered by the ubiquitous “St. Joseph Bible” from Catholic Book Publishing. Those notes are AWFUL!

As far as the NAB goes, I would like to see it scrapped rather than revised. No one who had anything to do with it should ever be trusted to translate the Bible again. Instead they should be loaded into a time machine and sent back to have their punishment determined by Torquemada. Just saying.

If you ever had to do any translations, you probably would feel differently. The job of today’s translator seems to be to make the receiving language make sense and easy on the ears. Right word order, right tense, mood, etc. That’s not necessarily the best translation, however, because that may compromise a lot of intended meanings and focus.

I’ve heard certain Protestant (radio) ministers (Rev. Boice, R.I.P, Dr. Sproul inter alia) using Latin and Greek to explain certain passages. Whether it’s right or wrong, I don’t know, but those types of discussions do seem to make the translation more authentic and interesting.

I myself prefer interlinear translations as they focus on the Greek or Latin rather than on the target language. It may seem funny to read something as “and why sad I go, while afflicts me enemy?” yet that’s the way the order of thinking in the Latin goes. I’ve even suggested we go to a set of meanings for each word, such as "ad- to, toward, against, intensely " because there is no one word that is precise. And whatever it takes to get closer to the source, the closer we are to the truth.

Translation is an interesting art. It is not gospel truth. There are questionable translations on the Vatican website. There is never a perfect translation, but there are certainly many bad and misleading translations.

Just my three cents and good discussion.

I do understand that translation is a very difficult job. However, when I compare the work done by the NAB translators with that done by others, I have to conclude that the NAB translators were not up to the task.

BTW, the Bible was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. There is no need to know a bit of Latin.

consider buying them as used books from the internet…you can pick them up CHEAP!

You make a good point.

[quote=ProVobis;7161264I’ve heard certain Protestant (radio) ministers (Rev. Boice, R.I.P, Dr. Sproul inter alia) using Latin and Greek to explain certain passages. Whether it’s right or wrong, I don’t know, but those types of discussions do seem to make the translation more authentic and interesting.
]

You hit a raw nerve with Dr. Sproul (sic). The honorable “Dr.” Robert C. Sproul has been touting himself as “Dr.” for a long time indeed. In fact he has a “doctorandus” degree (equivalent of a masters in the U.S.) from the Dutch Free University. It should be R.C. Sproul, drs., not Dr.

His is a vitriolic anti-Catholic and his appearances on the John Ankerburg shows are legendary. He’s really an intelligent man and it’s too bad he takes the approach he does.

He does have an honorary doctorate from a college that only offers 4 year degrees so he has dropped any pretense in recent years. You used to see him billed as Drs. R.C. Sproul every once in a while but no more, now he’s Dr.
[/quote]

Nicholas King has a new testament out, he recently release the book of Psalms.

Also, in the UK, the Catholic Truth Society has been releasing translations of specific gospels, and books of the NT.

cts-online.org.uk/acatalog/Our_Products_Bibles_18.html

christianbookshops.org.uk/shopmain.htm

The Christian Community Bible
bibleclaret.org/bibles/

Thanks.

Nicholas King also has a set of interresting bible study booklets worth using too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.