Any new Protestant saints?

We have a lot of Protestant churches in Canada which are named after saints, the most common being the evanaglists - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. And, of course St. Paul too. But, there are a few popular others, such as St. Andrew, St. George and St. Patrick and a host of lesser known ones from very early times. But, no “new” ones, none it seems since the great schism.

You would think that they would honour some recent martyrs such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Or, presumably, some fo the founders of Protestantism. But, nada.

Does it just come down to the fact that none of the denominations have the inclination?

protestants can not canonise people as saints that is reserved to the pope. and since protestants do not recognise the authority of the pope they do not submit names to him for consideration. and if they do not submit names to him how can he declare them saints?

Another “Re: Protestants” thread. Don’t take the bait. :sad_yes:

lol…

-]Barac/-]… No, no, no.

:smiley:

Is this a joke? :confused::confused:

No, I did not submit this as a joke, I am serious.

I cannot figure out, how a Protestant could recognize saints of old, but somehow come to the conclusion that there are no modern saints. If they believe in a living God, as vital in our lives today, and also recognizing that there are devout and faithful believers, those who accept death over loss of their faith, just as it was 1,000 or 2,000 years ago, why has no Protestant denomination honored anyone since the Reformation with that title? And, if they do not believe it possible to determine the saintly status of anyone, why have churches carrying the title of “Saint X” in their own denominations? It is not logical at all.

And, its not just the matter of the need for the power of a pope to declare a saint, as our Orthodox brothers and sisters have named some of their own saints, and they do not recognize the pope.

You’re right. No new saints since the Reformation on the Protestant side. I’ve even heard Mormons refer to, at a minimum, the Evangelists as “Saints” and at least some parts of Christianity don’t consider Mormons to be within the definition of Christian. (Of course some parts of Christianity think Catholics aren’t Christian either & obviously that’s just silly!)

I’m thinking that those that don’t canonize don’t think about who is, and who is not, a saint, or who should be, all that much. And if they did, they probably don’t have any formal process for making any sort of determination. Works for me! :wink:

I thought I might chime in on this discussion; especially since Anglicans/Episcopalians do tend to use Saints when naming our parishes and cathedrals. That being said, I’ve attached a link to an explanation of saints in the Episcopal Church as well as our calendar of saints.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_of_saints_(Episcopal_Church_in_the_United_States_of_America)

Additionally, here is an explanation from a broader Anglican perspective.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_in_Anglicanism

One reason you may not find “canonized saints” in Protestant circles, Protestants tend to believe we are all saints who follow Christ…marytrs are considered “heroes of faith” but there is nothing “special” about them as any holiness they have is because of the work of Christ in their lives…this “Work” is accessible to ALL who follow Him. Protestants DO believe in the “communion of saints” in that they recognize there is a “great cloud of witnesses” who have gone before us…“cheering us on” as each of us runs the race. The tradition of naming individuals “saints” specifically just seems out of place…at least to me. There are heroes of faith who are called back to the Presence each and every day…men and women who’ve lived lifes of sacrifice and holiness in order to share the love of God in their world.

There was one conventicle in my home town called “John Wesley Bible Church.”

Oddly enough, unlike their namesake, they did not baptize infants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.