Any order/group ministering to Chinese in China?

Any that we know of?

So I suppose the famous Rites controversy was us 'calling it quits', eh?

[quote="AcolyteLector, post:2, topic:225611"]
So I suppose the famous Rites controversy was us 'calling it quits', eh?

[/quote]

What "Rites controversy".

Maybe know one knows an answer for you.

[quote="ByzCath, post:3, topic:225611"]
What "Rites controversy".

Maybe know one knows an answer for you.

[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rites_controversy

I've thought of that, but its the first time my google searchbar has failed me, as well, and I just have a hard time believing that no order/institute is doing any work there. :shrug:

Generally I turn to the Cardinal Kung Foundation for info on the Church in China.

[quote="Shin, post:5, topic:225611"]
Generally I turn to the Cardinal Kung Foundation for info on the Church in China.

[/quote]

That is a very delightful website, and extremely informative on the life of that great man... however, as far as I can tell, the Cardinal's nephew who runs the site is only (at this time) looking for monetary and spiritual support for the awareness campaign ongoing over the legitimate priests/bishops suffering in silence.

Thanks for the try, at least! :shrug:

perhaps you could look at the Diocese of Hong Kong

That’s actually something I haven’t thought of, I’ll have to look into the particulars… :thumbsup:

Hi!

You might go to the Diocese of Hong Kong website, to a link called, I think, "religious houses." This lists Religious orders with headquarters in Hong Kong (the only Chinese diocese in full communion with the Holy See). You'll be impressed by the number & variety!

And looking to the future, I know the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter is very interested in establishing itself in Asia. Given the number of FSSP seminarians right now, from all parts of the world, this goal may be attainable.

The Divine Word Missionaries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Word_Missionaries

I meant currently–sorry, the link provided only addresses historical ministries.

Divine Word started out in China and today they still minister there. They are also in Taiwan as well if your interested. Here’s their link: svdvocations.org/

We mustn’t forget the Salesians! One of their distinguished Hong Kong brethren, Fr. Hon Tai-Fai, was recently appointed to lead the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, in Rome. Another well-known Chinese Salesian you may have heard of: Francis Cardinal Zen, emeritus Bishop of Hong Kong.

Correction to previous post: It’s JOSEPH Cardinal Zen. Whatever–the man’s a real firecracker, when it comes to evangelizing our separated brethren in China.

Maryknoll

i have been following the catholic situation in china for more than two years.there is no international priest or nun order allowed to operate in china since 1950's. chinese government tries to make the catholic church independent from outside influence.it does not understand about the connection of the catholic with the see of peter.i read about the jesuit having some kind of summer school in beijing and a macau based salesian doing some works in some parts of china .i dont know whether they openly working as salesian or jusy social worker. but i can not provide those informations now.please let me know if you like to know more, i will search in the internet.i would suggest you to go to hongkong or taiwan to brush up your mandarin language .the situation in china is very fluid,i like to think china will be more open to foreign missionary in 5 year time.::signofcross:

There's Xavier church in Shanghai and the previous priest here in Wuxi was Jesuit educated, so I assumed the Society of Jesus is the most active here in China, but I will ask what order the priests here in Wuxi belong to. Also we will participate in the Lenten retreat in Shanghai this coming Friday-Saturday, so I will ask some people if they know which order the priests there belong to. There should me a LOT different since aside from Chinese and English, there are also French and German liturgies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.