Any Orthodox here who say the rosary?

I’m Orthodox and I say the rosary often. I know there is an Orthodox version but it seems very complicated to me, so I recite the Catholic version. My priest knows, he doesn’t mind. Anyone else?

Nope. Not that I have a problem with it or anything. I don’t think it ought to take the place of the ‘Jesus prayer’ though. :shrug:

Hmm. This is nice to know. I have never read any Orthodox writing that is against it, I just haven’t personally known any Orthodox who do it. The Jesus Prayer is of course much more central to Orthodoxy, as far as I can tell. I guess I shouldn’t find it weird. I pray the Jesus Prayer many times a day, often in Russian (I learned it that way first before I knew it in other languages, so it feels most “natural” to me, oddly).

I’m a Catholic, so I know this wasn’t directed to me, but I wanted to chime in.

I prefer the Jesus Prayer over the Rosary. I think both are great prayers, don’t get me wrong.

But I see the Rosary as more of a mental prayer and the Jesus Prayer as more of a spiritual prayer.

For me, since I’m doing mental work all day, every day - my brain is shot by the time I get home and trying to think about which Mystery comes next and which prayer to pray next in the Rosary - the Our Father, the Hail Mary, The Glory Be, The Fatima Prayer, The Pro-Life Prayer, the Hail Holy Queen, the O My God… is too much for my brain most times.

On the other hand, the Jesus Prayer has a way of just flowing through me. Like the Spirit within me is praying it and it is peaceful, destressing and relaxing on my over-worked brain.
I feel closer to God. And like the person above who says he normally prays it in Russian, I normally pray it in Greek either the Kyrie Isou or the Iperagia Theotoke either using a prayer rope or without one.

Agreed, the Jesus Prayer is wonderful!

I have noticed a Western Orthodox parish advertising the rosary. You may be interested in this:

westernorthodox.com/rosary.html

Not sure if you’re aware of this.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the “Jesus prayer”?

It’s an Ancient Christian Prayer. It is usually said while holding on to a Prayer Rope sometimes called a Rosary. The Prayer Rope will have either 33 knots or 100 knots or 300 knots or maybe more.

Anyway, there are several prayers which may be prayed on each knot, but the two most common ones are:

Lord Jesus Christ Have Mercy on me. (or the longer version: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have Mercy on me a sinner.)

or

Most Holy Mother of God Save us.

Which ever prayer is recited - it is used on each bead with each breath. For example:

Inhale: "Lord Jesus Christ"
Exhale: “Have Mercy on me”

Some have the practice to repeat the prayer 3 times with each Inhale and other 3 with each exhale.

Some match each word or syllabol to the beating of their hearts.

It just depends on what your Spiritual Father tell you.

As a former Orthodox Christian, I can tell you that usually your Spiritual Father (similar to a Confessor, only the relationship is a little deeper) will tell you what your Prayer Rule will be. A Prayer Rule is something that is prayed every day at the same time. For example: My Prayer Rule was: to Pray the Jesus Prayer 100 times and with each Prayer to make a full prostration - full prostration looks closer to a Muslim prostration with the knees tucked in and the forehead to the floor, except it doesn’t start from a kneeling position, but from a standing position with a full bow as you make the sign of the cross before making the prostration. It’d be easier for me to show you rather than write it down. lol

Most people pray the Jesus Prayer at all times and in all places. You can pray it while talking, you can pray it while reading, studying, praying and even while sleeping once it becomes a part of you.

The Jesus Prayer is the only way I know of that someone can truly pray without ceasing as the New Testament tells us we are supposed to.

Supposedly Saint Seraphim of Sarov did.

Well there you have it, Jesus wins over Mary by a long shot in the Orthodox church!:slight_smile: I guess Amen is in order.

Well, what was central to my attraction to the rosary was my recent pilgrimage to Czestochowa in Poland. It was an emotional pilgrimage for me, I was going through a rough time and was seeking comfort. I spent a good deal of time at the shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa, praying. There, I listened to the mass and the beautiful sermon, and they also recited the rosary there. So I decided to say it daily.

I feel that God finds ways to direct me to him. There is a funny example… When I was growing up in the Soviet Union, in my family no one went to church or was interested in religion. But I was attracted to the beauty of church, and I loved women’s headscarves. Already here in the States, I began going to church pretty much just to have a chance to drape a silky headscarf around my head. Pretty soon, I was going every week - I had several scarves and I wanted to don them! Eventually I became a singer at the choir, began praying and actually getting closer to God. But it all began with fashion. :slight_smile:

So, I began saying my rosary, and I can’t say that miracles poured on my head the next day. But another funny thing happened - all of a sudden I realized how profound the prayer “Our Father” is (since I would say it so many times as part of the rosary). I never paid much attention to it, but now, when I feel anxious or sad, “Our Father” puts my mind at peace. Thy will be done.

:rolleyes: Reverence of Mary is shown in many different ways in both Churches.

I also am growing to love the Jesus Prayer…so simple yet so potent…and I think I find myself more immersed in the praying than when i have said the Rosary. I have always wanted to try to pray the Rosary and really get immersed in it, but I honestly can say that I just can’t…it’s a beautiful prayer but it’s just not for me.

Same, I haven’t prayed the rosary in years. I do say the Hail Mary frequently. Reverence of the Mother of God can be shown in many ways.

Oh, an Orthodox icon borrowed by the Catholics :slight_smile:

That’s good.

I prayed the rosary when I was young, but usually pray the Jesus Prayer now. I brought my rosary to China and have not used it yet, but sometimes I will pray ten Our Fathers and one Doxology ("Glory be to the Father, to the Son…) for each decade, or ten Our Fathers and one Hail Mary.

Do you say the Orthodox version of the Angelic Salutation, or the Latin?

Orthodox version:
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, Mary full of grace:
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, for you have borne the Saviour of our souls

The translation from the Greek or Slavonic into English may vary.

Latin version:
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death

http://www.antiochian.org/assets/images/IconoftheMotherofGodCzestochowa_D1D7/clip_image002.jpg

Monica - Thanks for the education! :thumbsup:

More proof that God works in mysterious ways! Way to go Nadege! :thumbsup:

Amen! But, I don’t think Jesus and Mary are in competition. I think they are equally thrilled if we are praying either. In fact if you examine the Hail Mary, you find Jesus at the center of it. Also, the benefit of the rosary is not only the words you are praying, but the meditating on the mysteries for each decade.

I’ve never tried the Jesus prayer, but hey, I’m willing to give it a try! :wink:

John Marie Philomena

I say all the Orthodox versions of the prayers, in Slavonic: I Believe, Our Father, Rejoice Theotokos, and Glory Be. At the end where the Catholics say “Hail Holy Queen”, I say this Orthodox one: “Meet it is in truth to glorify thee, O Theotokos, ever blessed, and all undefiled, the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, thou who without stain didst bear God the word, true Theotokos, we magnify thee.”

They aren’t in competition. It’s Christ answering prayer 100%. :thumbsup:

I have no problem with an Orthodox saying the Rosary as long as he says the original one. I don’t see why they would need to do some of the extra things that have been added over the centuries. But if it came down to it, I’d recommend an Orthodox to pray the hours than pray the Rosary.

In Christ,
Andrew

From my understanding most Orthodox that pray the Rosary (at least one’s that are in the western rite) say the Catholic one with only the Joyful, Glorious, and Sorrowful Mysteries and not the Luminous Mysteries and they only pray a “Glory be…” after a decade and not any extra prayers. At the end of the Rosary, they optionally pray the Memorare (“Remember, O Most Gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection…”) and then pray the proper Antiphon according to the season. This is how they have it in my one Orthodox western rite prayer book. Here’s a link to an Orthodox western rite parish website that gives directions on how to pray the Rosary like the way I mentioned:
spokaneorthodox.com/
The only differences that I noticed from what they have and what is in my western rite prayer book (The Saint Ambrose Prayerbook by the way) is that the website doesn’t list the optional Memorare prayer (“Remember, O most Gracious Virgin Mary…”) and also, on the website it tells you to pray the Antiphon “Hail, holy queen, mother of mercy…” at the end of the Rosary and in the prayerbook, it says to pray this Antiphon only from Trinity Sunday until Advent and then it lists other Antiphons to pray in other seasons. Just wondering, do Catholics pray different Antiphons according to the seasons?

I asked my eastern rite Orthodox priest about praying the Rosary and he said it was totally fine, it’s just not an eastern devotion so it’s not that common in Orthodoxy but there’s nothing wrong with praying it and contemplating the mysteries as you pray (some Orthodox don’t believe that you should contemplate the mysteries because they think it’s dangerous, but my priest equated it with contemplating scriptures when you read and that it’s natural to contemplate the scriptures when you read them, and that’s what you’re doing when you pray the Rosary).

[quote=Harpazo]I have no problem with an Orthodox saying the Rosary as long as he says the original one. I don’t see why they would need to do some of the extra things that have been added over the centuries. But if it came down to it, I’d recommend an Orthodox to pray the hours than pray the Rosary.
[/quote]

Just wondering, what do you mean by the “original one”? Do you mean praying the Rosary without the Luminous mysteries, praying all the mysteries at one time, or some other meaning?

Very nice indeed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.