Any other couples who choose NOT to practice NFP/Fertility Awareness Methods? (Everyone welcome!)

This is not a thread to debate Natural Family Planning, as I accept it whole-heartedly as a teaching of the Church. However, my husband and I do not believe it is what God is calling us to. I am hoping to meet other couples who feel the same.

My husband and I have been married 15 months and we chose not to learn/use any Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Methods. So far, we have no children.

I am wanting to get to know more couples who have opted to NOT use Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Methods. Do any other couples practice this?

Just so that I am aware and can save some arguements that I can forsee coming up, you just are not using anything at all. Whatever happens, happens. Putting it all in God’s hands right now. Correct?

Will you be learning NFP in the future?

Just to clarify you are not advocating any artificial birth control??

Me…practice ABC…I think NOT! :nope:

GOOD CLARIFICATION Mirror Mirror! :slight_smile:

We use nothing at all. No ABC…No NFP…just a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. :smiley: (Couldn’t resist.)

I figured that you didn’t but I did not want you to get “blasted” on this since I did not see it.

Saving you the trouble.

:wave: **We do, er don’t? And have not except for very rare and very temporary occassions. Best choice we’ve ever didn’t make, imo.:thumbsup: **

Not sure if I can vote in your poll, Convert, so I’ll explain my situation, and you can tell me. :smiley:

DH and I used NFP in the first year of our marriage to avoid and then achieve pregnancy. After our first, I only chart to estimate any future due dates. We weren’t charting to specifically avoid or achieve pregnancy (just leaving it totally up to God), but to estimate my due date. So I guess that counts as “using” NFP, but not for the typical reasons? And we only use ecological breastfeeding to space births, so would that count, too?

I just don’t want to mess up your nifty poll. :smiley:

Just presuming the obvious. :wink:

Catholics have two options…use NFP…or use nothing at all. We just went for option two…nothing at all.

Ecoclogical breastfeeding is not family planning at all. Baby must eat to live…you are feeding baby with the best nourishment possible…the side effect of reduced fertility is totally natural and God-given. I think this is the best spacing method out there…and it isn’t humanly planned at all. It was in the Divine Plan from the beginning. :wink:

Thank you for choosing to nurse…what a blessing to God, you and baby! :slight_smile:

I disagree that ecological breastfeeding is not family planning…
You have to be very deliberate about ecological breastfeeding… there are a lot of “rules” that you have to follow to delay your fertility.

“Nursing” doesn’t guarantee infertility…
“Ecological breatfeeding” is a deliberate act done to delay your fertility… you can’t accidentally do this…

Both can provide ideal nourishment for your baby! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Convert, :blush: but really, I didn’t really feel like nursing was a “choice” so much as just something I really wanted to do for myself (and of course, for baby). I can’t explain it, it was just something I had an overwhelming urge to do. Thanks for the compliment, but I don’t feel it’s truly deserved on my part. :o

So would my situation be, “not using any method,” (even though we do chart for due dates) or “using it regularly” since I’m actually aware of my fertility all the time (it’s kinda hard to “forget” once you’ve learned about it)? What do you think?

You still deserve a :clapping: …it’s a decision that too few women make today. :frowning:

Oh…I would say you are in the NO category. The one where you learned, but have opted to no longer use it to plan your family size. Forgive my polls…they are usually either too broad…or too constricting. I keep forgetting the “other” option. :wink:

I feel like this thread is ostrasizing those who use NFP…seems like you’re forming a club of people who don’t use it. Why can’t we all just recognize that using it and not using it is open to God’s design and plan for sexuality? It’s like having a club for people who own Mustangs and then separating the 6 cylinder owners from the 8 cylinder owners.

Just my :twocents:

This is why I asked. :smiley: I knew there would be differing opinions, and I wanted to make sure I voted in your poll according to how you were thinking.

I’m with you, Convert, I don’t think EB is family planning (since, you know, the Amazon women do it :wink: and I don’t think they really have “family planning” in mind, you know?), but I could see how someone could consider it family planning, since it was something I had to learn how to do because we’ve lost a lot of old wisdom in our culture.

I voted, too, by the way. :thumbsup:

Oh no, not the case here. :nope: Like I said…all are welcome.:thumbsup:

NFP is a Church approved option too, but you don’t have to use it. The Church allows couples to use NFP or nothing at all. We just opted to use nothing at all because we felt that’s what God was calling us to do. I just would like to meet others who don’t use NFP, since they don’t always post on the NFP threads. I would love to hear their stories too, especially since we have chosen that option also.

You are most welcome to hang out here with us. NFP users have already posted. I post on the parenting thread and I don’t have kids yet. Everyone is welcome here…even if it may not apply to them personally. :slight_smile:

:amen: and Thanks! :smiley:

We don’t use it; at least not now. I go back and forth in my head about it - from the things we learned about it in the classes, I sometimes think it probably wouldn’t hurt to help me keep track of what my crazy, out of whack body is doing or not doing. But, we’ve just kind of decided that we are in a “whatever happens, happens” kind of place right now.

We don’t have anything against it at all; we just aren’t practicing it right now.

We learned NFP and used in an attempt to achieve pregnancy. While it didn’t help us in that case, it was useful in helping my gyn see that there were issues with my cycle. Now we don’t use anything, since that decision’s been made for us.

I think this is a neat idea for a poll. There’s so much talk about NFP on these boards (which is great!), but it’s interesting to see that there are couples who don’t think about achieving/avoiding pregnancy at all.

Thanks Aurora! That’s what I was going for too. I know there’s lots of NFP users on board…it’s nice to know there’s others like my husband and I who go for option two and use nothing at all.

I know your story well. I thank God for NFP, as it saved my CAF friend’s life! I pray for you and wish you a speedy recovery and healing. :console: Hang in there! God bless you and Mary keep you!

Thanks Aurora! That’s what I was going for too. I know there’s lots of NFP users on board…it’s nice to know there’s others like my husband and I who go for option two and use nothing at all.

I know your story well. I thank God for NFP, as it saved my CAF friend’s life! I pray for you and wish you a speedy recovery and healing. :console: Hang in there! God bless you and Mary keep you!Thanks Convert!

Oh, Stratus, I’m so sorry if anything I’ve said has helped to contribute to an overall ostrasizing feeling. :o So sorry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.